Can you really fry your brain?

What backs up the concept of a permanent decrease in cognitive function, "frying your brain," using drugs, alcohol, not sleeping enough, etc? If so, what does it effect specifically? What I've seen from drug abusers personally is generally bad memory and lack of self awareness. According to an interview with a neuropsychiatrist, cannabis damages your prefrontal cortex, I'll link the video, can't find the study though.

youtube.com/watch?v=W_i2mC5fAmI

Other urls found in this thread:

ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brain_basics/ninds_neuron.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes, of course drugs damage your brain permanently.

No doubt. A simpler form of my question is more: how and why do they make you "stupid?"

Imagine someone hacked your cell phone and caused it to discharge far more energy than normal, draining the battery, very soon it will switch off. Drugs have an equivalent effect on your brain cells, causing them to release neurochemicals and place stress on their supporting astrocytes, sometimes they can't cope and cells "switch off". Unfortunately when a living cell "switches off" it dies and most neurons can't be replaced.

>drugs damage your brain permanently.
Vaccines are a drug.

Please be more specific about which drugs or how it works

and marijuana has this effect of releasing too much energy?

>t. a fucking junkie

there are many complex mechanisms, many of which are not well understood.
However there's no need to understand the mechanisms to avoid brain damage, just stay away from drugs.
I guess that you want to get high without consequences or something?

Wouldn't masturbation or exceptional feelings of excitement, and stress have the same effect?

Certainly not the same. We're talking about orders of magnitude in difference.
But of course multiple years of continuous stress or other extreme states will have a damaging effect (ie due to HBP, vasocostriction etc)

some chemicals / drugs most certainly do fry your brain. several different mechanisms exist. go look for literature on the effects of glue / paint / solvent huffing and see what you find.
As for marijuana's effects on the brain, I'll wait until it's legalized to the point that legitimate research can be conducted before I believe anything
>pic / patent related

Stupid question: can internet addiction also cause cognitive decline?

Only if you post here (;^O)

Marijuana doesn't hurt your brain; I'd more compare it to not working out your muscles.

I've literally smoked pounds of marijuana. hit dat bulnt lil nigger

I really don't care about teenager issues. Fuck up your brain or don't. It's not my problem.

You people need to be put in camps.

Lack of self awareness can be really good for your ability to think clearly. You don't get distracted by irrelevant social biases and feedbacks.

Doesn't help if you are relatively normal and planted into a context where your peers are rather sensitive to those biases.

its like that with huge part of weed smokers, they praise the stuff, without giving it a good thought or research what it actually does to the brain

>most neurons can't be replaced.
source?

ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brain_basics/ninds_neuron.htm

the frontal cortex is in charge of the "self awareness" in any human being, imagine throwing that in the basket and having that in a grown ass adult
do you want grown ass adults to have brains of teenagers?

t. pseud virgin

Concepts of neuroplasticity and epigenetics suggest there need not be unrepairable damage given (eating) "all" the necessary components (nutritients and energy) to grow unmutated cells from DNA as mutated cells naturally die off.

Anything, be it physical, conceptual (work, eg) or spiritual/emotional, that is not in our best physical and spiritual interest makes us slower both physically and mentally. I smoke and coffee, watch the idiot box occasionally listening to the untrustworthy news fabricators that mostly don't even name sources (spreading gossip, speculation).

Anything that is a diversion or distraction can be labelled drug, addiction, compulsive. It is doing stuff repeatedly that is not positive but most have no idea what is positive, true (kids believing in santa, pasta growing on trees, ceo's who are honest and care...).

Everything that is not nutrition damages "all" of our bodies to "some" degree. It is the "accumulation" of billions of teeny, tiny toxins that cause problems. There are too many variables to calculate merely based on one's drug of choice (and all secondary ones).

I'm not saying there aren't bright people who somehow chose heroin, etc., as their drug of choice (or alcohol), I'm saying I think neither is used, at least not that often, as a tool to make reading a book to learn something interesting and bearable.

Maybe people do study while intoxicated, but I've never met any though I stay away from drinkers who like to lose their inhibition/control/order/sanity.

In any case, if one sincerely tries to be better, more I cannot expect.

Don't be pedantic. Obviously it's in reference to recreational drugs, in particular hallucinogens and opiates.

Don't be a yuppie.

Many "recreational" drugs have therapeutic value. Even drugs that were thought to never be capable of doing good are now showing to be more effective than traditional psycho pharmaceuticals. There are some studies that show ketamine can stop depression in less than an hour with a lasting effect of a little over 1 week. Another study suggests a single dose of mushrooms can stop depression for 3 months.

To say drugs cause brain damage is like saying drinking water will kill you. Of course it will, but only if you take too much. The stigma these drugs have prevents proper research, which leads to self medication and poor dosing/abuse.

Your Brain on Food: How Chemicals Control Your Thoughts and Feelings, Second Edition -- Wenk, Gary

The book has some good chemical models of alcohol, uppers... For whatever drugs we use, all of them have a similar effect, to some degree, so this would be useful to many though too boring for most as it gets into models of chemistry, receptors, inhibitors, endorphins... And most only see as far as "disgusting crack/heroin/pot heads" while they drop their valium, guzzle alcohol/wine, usually together, anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, opium opioid opiates, their weekend E (soon to be laced with fentanyl that still won't give them reason to think/care) and, of course their 24/7 portable idiot box most don't even see is a portable tv.

Since most people actually "want" to eat at McD's or a big red slab of heart attack and lots of plant fat (starch), providing references to books on healing through vegetable nutrition is a waste of time. Most would choose desert/sugar/meat/fat/salt/fruit/nuts AND vegetables rather than filling their whole stomach on healing vegetables.

This is a society where the masses believe animals produce B12 (eating chems, grass, weeds, gummy bears - GIGO) critical to our lives, but we are inadequate and cannot produce B12 given healthy, practical food that has nutritional values (ever seen nutritional values for grass, weeds and gummy bears?). With this reasoning, the animals must have been first and there was never a time people ate only vegetation.

Further, we need animal excretions (cream slime) for calcium. Cows can get it as vegetarians (except when they're fed their buddies' brain grounds), but we can't. Iron needs to be fortified. Iodine supplemented. Fluoride increased rather than less sugar (most grown-ups are sugar addicts).

However, drugs are bad for everyone: it's not as if good happens to us because of them, not even to the death/drug dealers. I wouldn't wish withdrawal on anyone, esp an all-consuming phone.

>not sleeping enough
I definitely feel a lot slower compared to five years ago.

excitotoxicity

Can only tell you my experience with ex-heavy MDMA (XTC) users.

Short story: THEY DUMB

But there was such a noticeable problem with them. Not just memory but lack of logic, not being able to perform simple tasks etc. There's a whole meme out there on "holes" in your brain. Never got into that, mine still works