What's it like to study Physics?

What's it like to study Physics?

I'm studying Mathematics in university and in a few months I have to decide upon my minor for next year, I was considering physics.

In Mathematics most lectures basically follow the standard theorem-proof-example construction. Since in Physics you don't really have proofs and theorems, I was wondering what the "standard" lecture buildup is there. Can any physics students here share their experiences?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler–Lagrange_equation
hepweb.ucsd.edu/ph110b/110b_notes/node93.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Since in Physics you don't really have proofs and theorems
wrong

Enlighten me. I know next to nothing about Physics.

>I was considering physics.

very bad idea if you want to get a job later in your life

Physics generally starts with an example than a theorem and proof of theorem to move the problem along

Though a proof for physicists is not anywhere near as rigorous as a proof for mathematicians and in fact physicists will do shit that mathematicians really dislike

>physics
>proof
lmao stay mad

Physics is the science of simplifying problems until your brainlet mind can solve them

Bump

You start with a simple principle such as newton's laws and apply it to different situations.

Other things like being able to understand what the laws mean mathematically, like F = ma actually being F = dp/dt, and then you just do a bunch of problems to show application of the information.

It's not difficult, if you can do calc 3 you can do physics.

Pretty accurate.

> Since in Physics you don't really have proofs and theorems, I was wondering what the "standard" lecture buildup is there. Can any physics students here share their experiences?

Standard physics class will be
>here's a model
>it works because mathematicians have verified this is legitimate
>let's calculate phenomenology or compute results

Complaining about lack of proofs in physics class is like complaining you're not actually in an analysis course. Just take it for granted and do calculus/linear algebra for 4 years.

plug and chug

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler–Lagrange_equation

hepweb.ucsd.edu/ph110b/110b_notes/node93.html

Here are two very standard proofs for Advanced Classical mechanics

Don't do it if you're a mathematician by nature

Physics will absolutely piss you off because much of the problem solving violates what you've learned in your math program but "it works so we do it"

It's like math except it has to be useful and there's a possibility of you being wrong. Learning physics is solving baby tier math, progressing physics is focusing on the hard math problems mathematicians ignored because they're brainlets.

You seriously think there aren't rigorous physics text books?

brainlet who doesn't understand shorthand detected

Nigger I'm only In Babby tier physics and small angle approx already rustles my jimmies

Trying to analytically solve some of the fucntions is impossible without doing the small angle approximation you fucking autist

not user, but I study physics engineering and I've got a math class called : "Mathematics methods of phycis" where it is mostly theorems and proofs. Other then that, we study a lot of theory physics like quantum physics, solids physics, waves where there is a shit ton of math.

/thread

This is why I left physics.

All the small angle approximations, Taylor expansions up to like lmao2order, all the handwavy "multiply by dx", and the unjustified mathematical results.

Now I'm a full-blown pure math autist, all thanks to Veeky Forums

Bump

Umd?

F=ma and E=kq/r^2

*buzzer sounds*
There are much more elementary laws than that. Like,
[math]
\iint_s \mathbf{E}\cdot d\mathbf{S} = \frac{q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}
[/math]
and
[math]
\mathbf{F} = \frac{d\mathbf{p}}{dt}
[/math]

You start with the fundament empirically derived, every math you do leads to the result meaning of which you can and should be able to briefly explain by words, it is not enough to understand things mathematically only, because you won't be able to "setup" math for solving problems in future if you intend to.There still are a lot of proofs and theorems, Math is not easier, you just have boundary conditions.

Mathematical physics is GOAT user, check it out.

Try mathematical-economics instead

I'm not a physics major but I was required to take a year anyway. Not sure if my experience is typical at any other level, but my prof. was thorough with everything he wanted us to know, deriving principles from from F=ma and explaining why things make sense.

From there he'd just explain application in terms of some story. A lot of it we were expected to study on our own time as well.

Anyway Physics is great and I think it's worth giving a shot.