Grade Inflation

>Wait you didn't actually think you were THAT smart did you user?
>Is no one going to tell him that 70% of the class also got an A?

How does it feel knowing that your A just tells people that you were somewhat competent in the material you learned but not actually exceptional in any way?

feels pretty good

>get homework is 100% of grade
>get 82% in the class
i love grad school

>Dumb but motivated
>Not smart but lazy
GET OUT REEEEEEE

>being graded on homework

what's your major?

none of my science/math classes in undergrad graded homework and I'm about to go to grad school

wat

math

user, you fail to recognize that the students have gotten smarter.

Feels good to come from a non shit country

>"Elite" institutions are the worst about this
>Public universities are actually harder to do well in

Kekeke

Equality means we're all special

If only it reflected through to Grad School prospects and Employment.

Being poor is the worst nerf

idk why americans wank so much about muh str8 As
i was an extrmeely mediocre high school student, and aced my entry exam to uni.
and no one bothered to look at my grades from 5 years ago. why should they give a fuck?

They make a big deal about it because a lot of higher institutions utilize acceptance, drop out, graduation rates etc. in their stats when competing with other business...I mean colleges.

Of course now that the East Asians have arrived and effectively blown out the American education system with consecutive high GPAs and test scores suddenly both metrics are starting to lose their importance and now experience and publication are what matters.

So the high grade wank fest is coming to an end. But now we have the issue of students asking how the fuck do I get experience and publications at the undergrad level?

>Of course now that the East Asians have arrived and effectively blown out the American education system with consecutive high GPAs and test scores suddenly both metrics are starting to lose their importance and now experience and publication are what matters.

I had a feeling that this is becoming reality now, good to know I'm not the only one realizing it

US grades are terribly inflated, yes. A European 7/10 is an US A according to distinguished conversion schemes.

>and aced my entry exam to uni.
American universities don't have entrance exams.

>18 course hours
>6 A's
Feels good man. My school is mediocre at best and I'm in the top 5% of students because of my grades though.

Anyone else pick the professors that are reviewed as being tough graders? I think it helps with rigor in my experience.

So you have entrance exams to specific universities and not general standardized tests? Sounds interesting. How long are they and are the tests school specific or do they follow a guideline?

Did my undergrad in central Europe (Austria) to move on the PhD in the UK and post-doc in the US.

In Austria, nobody gives a bloody rats ass about grades, as long as you've passed the exam. Why would anyone care about grades rather than the quality of your master's thesis, papers or references?

Grades are like a stepping stone to getting into the program and getting those references.

Not everywhere apparently. No one gave a shit about my grades, but rather the fact that I showed up to special lectures, did a nice master's thesis and parts of it published.

Past the undergrad level, grades are even more irrelevant.

>Implying most people care where you got your undergrad

>Go to smaller state school
>Get to know your professor well
>Ask for undergraduate research projects

That's how I got two of them. One of them they sent me to Africa to do research and teach a study abroad class. I got paid to hang out in a hammock and go on safari every day, it was awesome.

Why do people not see that the content of a course is far more interesting than a letter will ever be

>MFW my major's average GPA is 2.7
>MFW I have a 4.0 after 3 years
>MFW top 5 school for my major

>the graph doesn't go high enough to show my gpa

Feels exceptional.

Only 2 of my classes this semester didn't have people failing. My Calc 3 class had about 5 As in the end with mostly Cs in a 30 person class.

Because American universities don't have entrance exams and if you are going to university right after high school then your acceptance is heavily based on what you did during high school, both academic and extracurricular

Honestly, yes. Half the people in my trig class are on Facebook half the time, and then they wonder why they get 'F''s on all of their work. If you're paying good money for this, why are you wasting it?

Feels like my 3.86 means a lot as a senior at Purdue.

Except that we always get shown the statistics on grades, usually 60% passes the class, averages are always around 6.5/10.

bravo, america!

What school is that?

Fellow Indiana here, my 4.0 at Ball State feels like a joke. I think Purdue is notorious for being anti-inflation afaik.

Is nobody else going to comment on the fact that this graph is pants on head retarded.

Since when do we use colors to represent different years?

Years should be the goddamn x-axis
all three data sets should be on top of each other so we can compare
they should use points instead of bars
colors should indicate the schools

I'm just really triggered right now.

>time span in years

Fucking kill me now. What does that even mean? That's how much data they have? So measuring over a longer period shows more inflation?

That means we have no idea what years the study are over? I don't really care to compare inflation from School A 1900-1920 to School B 1980-2000.

And no p-value?

These axes are so retarded they are almost certainly being used to lie

that's funny because the average in most of my classes is 55-65%

We're taking GPA, not class scores.

A 55% can easily translate into a B or even A if the class was hard enough.