Start college last week

>start college last week
>first class is english
>Black female teacher begins the class talking about oppression
>says men can't be oppressed
>on our reading list is "The New Jim Crow" and "We should all be feminist"
There are no males in any of the reading I know of so far
>teacher mentions hunger games and how we will be reading a book similar to it but very multicultural
>hear the words micro aggression spoken by the teacher and classmates several times

I don't think im going to make it. I feel warn out and busted already, where is a place that I can just read good literature. I looked at other classes and the reading assignments all seem similar. This is the worst part about living in California. What do I do.

Other urls found in this thread:

literature.ucsc.edu/courses/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

;This isn't a college bitch stop making shit up

It's all true

Why the hell haven't you quit already?
You can read literature in your own damn time, there is no reason why you should study English senpai, and this is coming from someone who has studied history.

I had a postcolonial course I had to follow, shit was terrible and I wish I was equipped with the arsenal I have now back then

>Why the hell haven't you quit already?

I thought I am suppose to go to school or something. I don't know what else to do, I am lost

I posted the wrong one.

My fault.

Does this shit actually happen in American colleges or is it just /pol/ making shit up because it seems really over the top.

It's just /pol/ making shit up

100% serious about all that

It doesn't matter if it actually happened cunt, the point of this thread was clearly to start a conversation about how shitty SJWs are, which belongs on /pol/.

The New Jim Crow is basically all about men, black men being incarcerated, but men nonetheless. I hated it when I first read it because I wasn't woke yet, but now when I think about it, it was a good read.

no I literally made the thread as a call for help on what I should do. I am blown away at whats happening and feel like im in some nightmare. All I wanted was to learn about great literature and become a better writer

It's literally just one class. Do your work, move on, and next time check "rate my professor" before you sign up for a class.

I bought and read "We should all be feminist" the other day just to get a bigger picture.
It was not all bashing and self pity as everyone told me it'd be so. Dunno man, just stop having strong opinions on shit barely affecting you.
If you don't like something just quit instead of complaining about people not sharing your same thoughts. At this point I believe anti-feminist play the victim role more often than feminist.

>no I literally made the thread as a call for help on what I should do

Stop lying on the internet for sympathy for something that isn't even real.

I took a course on African American History and the professor happened to be Jewish and also happened to be extremely liberal. He was a nice guy, and obviously quite intelligent, but holy shit, such an sjw. He thought that white people should have to pay reparations and that people could identify as a different race if they wanted eg Rachel Dolezal.

The point is the teachers strong opinions are affecting what they teach. Shouldn't teaching be about a variety of ideas? I am fine with novels written by women/ people of color but if thats all you are showing me its bullshit. Same with all white men, mix it the fuck up. I hate any side with a imposing agenda

No, this does happen occasionally. The part they're making up is the narrative that they're stuck taking these courses and that there is nothing else on the table. In my experience, every sizable English department includes a walking 'SJW' stereotype. They do exist. But by the same token, there are also plenty of old white men teaching classes on the High Modernists and Romantic poets. These people are looking for a scapegoat and failing to take responsibility for their own actions.

Did you listen to what I said. Why do you keep going along with this

>he didn't tell her to read bell hooks

you're fucked

Graduated in 2015 and this wasn't my experience at all. In fact I've had self-identified feminists professors make statements or teach lessons that would likely be deemed 'problematic' (such as defending the preponderance of 'dead white males' in art history courses).

>currently in freshman year
>Take"survey of British:1789 to now"
>Mostly read from blacks and "womyn"
>Relate everything back to "privilege"
>Class is just the 90% female class making retarded jokes about Jane Austen to beta professor and fat feminist TA
>One day TA is discussing people/books Wollstonecraft referenced
>Puts Don Quixote under people instead of books
I think I'm going STEM boys

What state did you go to?

You can impose to those strong opinions as well. My faculty has some kind of department advocating for students priorities, and all of my classes have a curricular advance program, if a professor deviates from that established program you can file a complain.
If your college has nothing like that, or even worse... if you got into a class without consulting the established program then you're pretty much fucked.
Hard shell professors are more uncommon than what you think, most of them know and advocate that a non-reciprocating learning scheme halts progress.

You're not worth listening to, obviously.

How about stop being closed-minded and give it a fair chance. FYI much of contemporary literary criticism is based around critical theories that foreground issues such as race, gender, sexuality & class. When I was 18 and a freshman in college, this would have pissed me off too. Now I realize that the traditional 'liberal humanist' way of viewing literature is in fact a politicized way of reading a text as well. It glosses over those issues and tries to maintain the status quo. Things like critical race theory and feminism can be extremely though-provoking and dramatically change your worldview if you give them a chance and stop being butthurt. If you have to take one college course focused on black and women writers, that's okay. Now you have some perspective on how your black female peers feel in courses where you primarily get the perspective of white men. By getting reading other perspectives, you get the chance to open your mind up a bit and gain a more objective worldview. Your teacher is genuinely trying to help you, provided you are willing to be helped. Make sense?

When I went to college in the late 2000s, I didn't really encounter stuff like this. I even took African-American Lit and two female-centric lit courses, and they were all fine courses, just learning about literature and literary context. More recently I've found plenty of English professors / grad students will dislike this stuff, and actively mock it among each other. But I have also in recent years encountered college undergrads who will have swallowed this stuff hook, line, and sinker. At least near me, it's mostly just coming from gender studies, but there's also students who get this shit from the Internet and try to interject it into their classes.

took an asian-american lit course and the early-30s lady (kinda hot) railed against the united states and white people's ignorance for four months. then in the last class she casually mentioned that her husband was a white guy. every time.

>take British lit class
>only book written by a woman we had to read was Pride and Prejudice
>professor constantly makes slightly sexist remarks
great class

thanks for letting the class know jimmy

>Puts Don Quixote under people instead of books

i am in an american lit class and apart from hemingway, faulkner and twain i am forced to read women or minorities, 20 different authors, somehow all manage to be black, native american, asian or women, with 4 white men

to add on - the teacher(a woman) always takes the view point of the women in the story even if it wasnt the authors intention

I study a course in Britain with lectures in anthropology, politics, and sociology and haven't generally experienced anything this bad.

The worst stuff here isn't even race/gender, its evidentially barren left wing shilling. 'The Spirit Level' kind of things

>the authors intention

Because the author is dead bitch read a book

study something useful. You want to give back to the world, don't you? English majors are leeches. Nobody in the world has ever wanted or needed literary criticism and no one ever will

>English majors are leeches. Nobody in the world has ever wanted or needed literary criticism and no one ever will

this is the dumbest argument contrary to anything I've ever heard.

Nobody needed this website either but I bet you can't live without it huh little bitch

there is nothing remotely thought provoking in critical theory or feminism

Or your posts

To be completely honest user I haven't been on this site in months. I felt a lot better without it. I guess I should leave again.

What feminist theory have you read?

There is more honest, original discussion of race, sex, and class (whatever stupid categories you want to parcel up the world in) in any masterpiece than there is in intersectionality session #12349184

New York

Post your curriculum.

You are making this up

>>There is more honest, original discussion of race, sex, and class (whatever stupid categories you want to parcel up the world in) in any masterpiece than there is in intersectionality session #12349184

Did you sign Sargon's petition? Tell the truth, please.

Reading a masterpiece with respect to those discourses is to engage in critical theory though.

>Americans spend thousands of dollars and puts themselves in lifelong debt to get a useless meme degree

I will never understand this.

What is a useless meme degree. Also what country do you come from, universities elsewhere can have different ways of organization and career choice

Change to a different college and tell everyone what you have seen, leave an online review on facebook. You don't have to deal with this social justice bullshit.

Did you also sign Sargon's petition

>thinking this is real

>What is a useless meme degree

All of the Humanities, basically.

In more financially stable times, it didn't really matter what you studied. Simply having a degree was enough for a cozy, secure job.

>I went to college
Happy student debt, debtcucks!

No, the author is not dead. However, the readers can be better than the author. But if the author intends your tranxsian wombyn personperson to be not important, then tshir is not important.

>All of the Humanities, basically.

parts of the second sex, parts of gender trouble, parts of... the female eunuch... uh... I don't know. I usually don't read that much of it cause I've found it to be all exactly the same.

idk what that is. Sure, I'm the ghost made up of all the mean people you hate!

Discourses? Please. There is nothing that could be called a "discourse" in critical theory. There's dogma, and then there's elaboration of that dogma. The fact that you people try so hard to appear completely objective and neutral is the single greatest indicator that you're ankle deep in the ordure of ideology (like the catholic church).

>No, the author is not dead
Consensus says otherwise. If you're against interpretation of art in toto, you probably shouldn't get interested in art in any way shape or form. The internet has only exacerbated the aspects of this, you probably wouldn't like.

>idk what that is. Sure, I'm the ghost made up of all the mean people you hate!

Sargon made the dumbest petition imaginable demanding "Universities" (as in, Universities in total), to ban the increadibly vague "social justice courses" in total.

Basically he goe bout arguing the merits of freedom of speech and how evil lefties are censoring everyone, then he goes and makes a fucking petition saying

>ATTENTION ALL UNIVERSITIES, ME AND OTHER PEOPLE, DO NOT LIKE YOUR COURSES. END THEM NOW OR MY PETITION WILL BE SIGNED

Because petitions always get things like this done in the first place. It was incredibly silly.

>parts of the second sex, parts of gender trouble, parts of... the female eunuch
Seriously? You found nothing thought provoking in those books that you hadn't previously considered wrt gender? You must be a genius!

>The fact that you people try so hard to appear completely objective and neutral is the single greatest indicator that you're ankle deep in the ordure of ideology
I don't even know where to begin with this one. Since when does feminism, for example, pretend to be "objective" and "neutral". It is explicitly putting gender first. It is not effacing this fact but constantly calling attention to it. Ideology is unquestioned beliefs. Feminism is constantly questioning. What you have said is completely nonsensical. The "traditional" method of reading a text is the one that pretends to neutrality and masks this fact (and therefore is ideological). I honestly can't tell if this is bait or not.

What university do you attend?

What course are you taking?

Also I would advise dropping that course, you won't gain anything and your professor probably has a chip on her shoulder about race and gender so she is likely to take it out on you with her grading.

Why do people lap this bait shit up?

Post your course plan, OP, or fuck off back to /pol/

>Ideology is unquestioned beliefs. Feminism is constantly questioning
These aren't mutually exclusive positions.

>Since when does feminism, for example, pretend to be "objective" and "neutral". It is explicitly putting gender first.
It does claim to have the objectively correct viewpoints with regards to gender.

He may be a troll, but you're being dishonest.

UCSC

English 90B

>Consensus says
Your mom is a fag. Yes interpretation is important. But you can't interpret Harry Potter into be a parable over AIDS.

Not if you want to be relegated to the kids table for funny faggots.

Keep going, provide your own narrative if you disagree with the teacher. Write your own brilliant essays as to why she's wrong. If you're angry write about it.

>Write your own brilliant essays as to why she's wrong. If you're angry write about it.

That won't help me in the class. I can feel she already dislikes me, having apposing views to these people will fuck me up

post pics of your courses in the future and the books you're required to read so people will believe you.

what kind of points did you disagree with and how would you respond now?

post your syllabus then or type it up (blank out identifying info)

if you take certain courses and/or go to certain schools, yes. it really does get this bad

wow so tough
post you syllabus as well, if you want anyone to actually side with you we have to know what you're reading probably some cool shit you're too closed minded to appreciate

So drop English and just read what you want. You're going to get this type of progressive facism at any University English dept these days, they're completely colonised by identity-politics nutters.

>probably some cool shit you're too closed minded to appreciate
Nah, it's probably trash intended to teach them how to empathize.

why is there no lit 90b listed? and lit 90 is intro to creative writing
literature.ucsc.edu/courses/

>36 ACT
>full ride to private school in Alabama
>no debt
>finance major
>took enough AP exams to completely avoid gen ed classes
>specializing in international business for free semester abroad
>leaving for Geneva in January

Why do people waste their time doing anything less? If you aren't going for free, why even go? I was genuinely shocked to hear from my high school friends that they are deep in debt to learn about feminist and black people English literature.

Read books in your free time lad, don't pay to do it.

>Few weeks into lit class
>read the Enuma Elish, Epic of Gilgamesh, Theogony and Works and Days, Genesis and Job, and selections from the Classic of Poetry, Analects, and Daodejing
>starting on selections from the Mahabarata this week
Actually look into the courses you're signing up for and you won't run into these problems you doof.

>implying OP's story is even real and not a shitpost paid for by Nimble America

>bothering to fact check the most obvious bait I've read today.
You're a better man than me fampai, and I appreciate you :)

Also, the only African American woman lecturer on staff doesn't teach in the fall.

>I had a postcolonial course I had to follow, shit was terrible and I wish I was equipped with the arsenal I have now back then
Kek. Enjoy denying history dickbag.

Completely depends on the college. Some Liberal Arts schools are like this, but really few relative to how many are your standard sports heavy multicurricular schools. Tho the SJW crowd still exists as cliques in the latter they definitely arent the dominating force as /pol/ would have you believe.