Why is this meme so fucking popular, Veeky Forums?

Why is this meme so fucking popular, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2014/07/17/should-we-stop-teaching-calculus-in-high-school/
csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2014/0125/Why-Texas-dropped-algebra-II-as-graduation-requirement
ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/07/22/san-francisco-middle-schools-no-longer-teaching-algebra-1/
breitbart.com/big-government/2016/03/28/ny-professor-says-algebra-is-too-hard-schools-should-drop-it/
phys.org/news/2016-03-algebra-unnecessary-stumbling-block-schools.html
insidehighered.com/news/2016/07/06/michigan-state-drops-college-algebra-requirement
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>learning about the quadratic formula in college

wat

also who would pay good money to learn how to do their taxes? pick up a fucking book or use google or something

>Quadratic formula
>College

American "education" at work everyone

Why do people perpetuate this meme? If you want to learn how to do taxes or have a good marriage, pick up a fucking book or use google, like the other user said. And the quadratic formula should be common fucking knowledge. Why are people so stupid?

>college
>quadratic formula

I've not been in school for nearly 30 years. Has education slipped this far? A had to do that shit in our heads by the end of the 1st year of high school.

Oh and back then we had Home Education which taught us how to do taxes, balance a check book, and how to run a household.

>HURR DURRRR I'M TOO RETARDED TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO FILL OUT BASIC PAPERWORK ON MY OWN OH GOD PLEASE HELP ME HURRRRRRRRRRHGHGHTHTHDFFUFF

>Teach me how to do my taxes and calculate my mortgage.
>Whoa whoa whoa, why the fuck are you wasting my time teaching math? Didn't you hear what I just said.

>true statement for most people

>classes on marriage

>mfw I scored in the 93rd percentile of the GRE math portion despite never having memorized the formula in my entire life

That shit is literally just a gay meme.

Is this a joke image? Why do colleges even offer those course? Don't people need to have certain entrance grades or pass a test before being let into the school?

EVERYONE DESERVES TO GO TO COLLEGE

College is the new high school, it's just far more expensive.

I wish kids would go to community college instead, it's a great buffer that prevents people from shitting up what are supposed to be institutions of higher learning.

Because normal people get married and have a hard time doing their taxes.

Yes, and many colleges will let you get in anyways if you pay out the nose.

A guy I live with failed his math 088 class. Calc 1 is math 111 at my uni. Why? Didn't show up to class, didn't do homework, didn't study.

Professorconfess, the source of that image, is a good ranter about academia. He's absolutely right and offers good insight, but it gets tedious. He's been ranting about the same things for years.

My high had an accounting course that taught us to do our own taxes.

He was a CPA and really chill.

I kinda agree in a way desu.
Why the fuck do I have to take feminism 101 and we was kangz 208 when I'm an engineering major?

> tfw you realize when the average person is stupid as a sack of shit.

>Why the fuck do I have to take feminism 101 and we was kangz 208 when I'm an engineering major?

You don't. You could have signed up for Japanese 101 and Reading in the Church Fathers 234.

Everyone is required to take a course from the "Pan-African Studies" department at my school.

Th-this is a joke, right? I took Algebra 2 sophomore year of high school, how can it be possible for people to be so far behind? Where do these people come from? How is this normal? What fucking school is this?

It's not a joke. Pretty much every college pulls this shit.

You can thank the student loan program.

But these people are getting high school educations, no, less than high school educations, in what's supposed to be college. Maybe I'm out of the loop or something, but this literally baffles me.

They're idiots. Colleges do it to make money.

I get that. I can understand actual retarded people taking college classes that teach 6th grade math, but these are adults. Functioning adults. Didn't they already get this education? Is Billy Madison a true fucking story?

Africa is a pretty big place that has occasionally mattered in history; it's normal to learn a little something about it. I don't know about a whole course though. A geography, world politics, or world history course ought to suffice.

They can also vote. :^)

Saint Augustine was from Numidia, you could have substituted a course on him if you fought with the dean.

>Saint Augustine
>implying they would want us to learn anything about muh white people

By "Pan-African Studies" it should really be called "Nigger Studies," honestly. I just took a course on jazz music to fulfill the requirement. A lot of pandering to niggers, "muh slavery," "muh Civil Rights Movement," etc.

>I co ming offise to day AAAAaaaa?

I laughed

professionals with generalized educational base perform better at the same task substantially than peers with purely specialized educations

Even if you hate black people you can learn things about the world you wouldn't know otherwise
or are you so set in your beliefs you're afraid to learn anything new that might change them?

What would a course on marriage even cover?

Don't be a dick.
Don't be a twat.

Communication skills and how to not be a totally self-centered jerk? How to work hard at building a relationship that will weather rough times? Maybe.
Shit you should have learned by observing your parents, really. Except the boomers decided to teach their kids that "self-fulfillment" is more important than anything; and when the going gets tough, it's time to get out.

They are right, desu.

non-major specific general education is useless.

This. My school's reasoning for having gen-eds is that they introduce you to "new ways of thinking" and offer "new perspectives on the world." The reality is that these new perspectives are useless to someone in hard sciences or math. The gen-eds for non-meme major students should be to take a X classes in a science complementary to your own subject. Like as a chemist, my "gen-eds" should be in advanced physics and math classes.

Maybe classes like communication and writing should still exist, but requiring humanities and arts and "sciences" that aren't related to your major is fucking retarded. You aren't going to learn shit in an intro class.

the quadratic formula is used in daily life if you do ANYTHING involving science or engineering.

it's popular because most people are brainlets, and that image was made by a brainlet.

I used to think this, but honestly this last year I have taken several philosophy, political science, and anthropology classes. Fascinating stuff, and it has really helped me understand the more human aspects of the world around me. It's made me a more curious and aware citizen, plus there are lots of interesting people in those programs that you might not meet in your maths.

they're only useless if you let them be and sail through the courses. I think STEM majors could benefit from some general ed classes, at least some related to writing and speaking. Most of my colleagues are spergs, and it was even worse in college.

>ANYTHING involving science or engineering.
so 5% of the population

when is intro to biolgy or anthropology 100 ever going to help me while I'm wondering how much rebar to put in a concrete beam.

writing and speaking, yes, because it helps you function in a firm. everything else, useless time waster.

>I have to take sociology, art, female bullshit, and 3 different cultural courses aka timewasters
>Everyone else only has to take one "science" course aka middle school level geography or astronomy and the highest the go in math is "calc for business majors"

I ree everytim

>tfw have a math degree and never memorised the quadratic formula

>classes on marriage and how to do your taxes
why not ask your parents

serious question

>crying about the quadratic formula
>will probably only reach pre-calc/calc1
pffffffttt

High school education is shit. If a student is failing, they will ""diagnosis"" him with autism and exempt him from all the requirements.

forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2014/07/17/should-we-stop-teaching-calculus-in-high-school/
csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2014/0125/Why-Texas-dropped-algebra-II-as-graduation-requirement
ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/07/22/san-francisco-middle-schools-no-longer-teaching-algebra-1/
breitbart.com/big-government/2016/03/28/ny-professor-says-algebra-is-too-hard-schools-should-drop-it/
phys.org/news/2016-03-algebra-unnecessary-stumbling-block-schools.html
insidehighered.com/news/2016/07/06/michigan-state-drops-college-algebra-requirement

The regressive education reformers are back.

I really, really hope that's a joke/photoshop. Otherwise, holy shit.

>Basic Mathematics (Pre-Sub-Remedial)
kek

As for people learning about the quadratic equation, I have a story
>older roommate did biology at university
>start masters degree in microbiology
>never did math as a biology student, and need Math 101 to do masters
>Help him with shit he struggles with
>Gets first test back
>80%
>guy is happy as a retard
>look over questions
>which if the following numbers are rational: 1, 0, -5, 5.3, 5/7, pi, sqrt(2)
>Solve for x in 2x + x - 1 = 0. Hint: x = (+-b - sqrt(b^2 - 4ac) )/ 2a
>If f(x) = x^2 - 4, calculate f(1), f(3) and f(10).
>...
I used to have a pic of the test, but i cant find it

At a later date
>Im a chemE
>roommate tells me how he did all the chem subjects a chemE does, he only needs like 2 subjects to get a chemE degree
>Has done no math
>thinks he can do chemical engineering

Thats when I realized biology people are fucking retarded

damnit, i knew id fuck up the formula if I wrote it in plaintext

Classes on marriage should be given out by your local Church.

i had a room mate who was a biomedical engineer who didnt know how to do basic unit conversions like moles to grams or moles to molarity and needed my help to do it. I also had a discussion with him once on physics and said that calculus doesnt work with physics. he was also the biggest american jew ive ever seen and told me i commited a hate crime because i told him his dad sounds spot on like jerry seinfeld
To stay on topic though, he would always complain to one of my teachers about how it takes him literally 10 hours to do the math homework and was complaining that he was gonna get his parents involved if the teacher doesnt make the homework easier.

Oy vey. The goys are getting dumber. Now they're easier to control.

When you get kidnapped by North Korea, you're going to be glad they forced you to take Korean 302.

>parents
Once in calc 2 a girl was 15 minutes late for class (which was basically optional since there is no attendance record or unexpected tests), her mother came into class with her and apologized to the professor, said they were caught up in traffic. Girl looked embarrassed as hell, so i felt kind of bad for laughing.

>My dream is to be a wage slave!
>Why isn't college a trade school?

How did he pass the Quantitative Reasoning section in the GRE?

kek, yeah I feel sorry for that girl. Just wants to transition into adulthood but has a retarded helicopter parent.

People live in the real world, yes.

These cunts are the ones who pass off economics class in high school for yoga or some shit. When I was in grade 10, all of the semi to non tards took the class. Our teacher taught us how to do have, get a downpayment on a house, how to pay for college. Hell he even have us marriage advice, don't get married

we dont have GRE here

We had a 'Practice mathematics' class in high school, if you didn't take the normal mathematics course you had to take this one. They did every day math like
>Calculate tip on a bill
>Add up the costs on a shopping list
>convert cups to ml and back
>adjust the amounts of ingredients in a recipe if you make a double/half/other fraction recipe
>Calculate the amount of food needed if x friends each eat y food at your party
>no compound interest, thats in the normal math class since its too hard

Not surprisingly, there were people who just barely passed the class

I didn't have to take remedial but I got a C in college algebra in my first semester because I was so far behind due to an extremely ineffective implementation of homeschooling. Now I've made As in calc 2/ physics 1 and have DE/calc 3/physics 2 ready for the spring.

I essentially didn't have a high school education.

>implying that STEM majors don't desperately need to learn how to write well and read critically

Technical writing and documenting lab work is crucial for productivity.

Also, context from the social sciences offers an idea of what's going on with people and the world so you can tailor your work to meet the world's needs before other producers can beat you to it and sometimes before they can even start. It's how Steve Jobs did it.

You're the retard for going to a cow college instead of a legit school with a good bio program.

South African Maths Lit. ?

kek, yes

>implying in going to get married

Maybe if they taught you how to court a girl in school you would have.

That's sexist.

The amount of times a students questions the math they are learning whenever I tutor them is astounding. These highschool students, somehow, have already determined that all of math is useless and that no one needs it. These are the same students that go on into college and cry the same statement when they get destroyed by an easy course such as college algebra or trigonometry. I firmly believe now that if the US didn't have such shit math education that we wouldn't have kids saying this type of shit. Then again, I also firmly believe that 95% is borderline dumb.

Got some bad news for you

>tfw math phd and never even learned the quadratic formula

Because apparently a chemistry degree needs to teach you about marriage and filing taxea

>>Solve for x in 2x + x - 1 = 0. Hint: x = (+-b - sqrt(b^2 - 4ac) )/ 2a
Can someone explain this to a brainlet?
From my brainlet reasoning I know the answer is 2x+x=1 so that means x has to be in some superposition of 1 or -1 where it's 1 by itself by 2x makes it -1.
Or is that the entire point?

2x + x = 1

3x = 1

x = 1/3

I'm not good with fractions.

It's never sexist to blame the dude.

Nope
Kids learn this shit in middle school now
High school, first year. if you're a dumbo
t. teacher

why are women so retarded
In daily life i treat them with the same respect I would a man, but it always seems like they can perform mental gymnastics that only a man could dream of doing.
Yes some women are smarter than men, but it doesn't take away from the phenomenon that is women being all around dumb as a sack of rocks
or whatever I probably have autism

>ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/07/22/san-francisco-middle-schools-no-longer-teaching-algebra-1/

>classes are “too easy” or “aren’t very challenging” for high-achieving students.

>“For years, all eighth-graders had to take Algebra 1. The vast majority, however, either failed or did poorly in the subject. Those students are now in a cycle of failure,” says Lizzy Hull Barnes, mathematics program administrator for the district.

>“It’s very disappointing to me that our education system is really starting to be this cookie-cutter approach,” says Melody Hernandez, whose 13-year-old son will be in eighth grade this year. “It’s not feasible. … I really don’t want [my son] to lose his engagement in school because it’s not moving at a fast enough pace for him.”

Cultural Marxism is at it again.

>tfw field's medalist and don't even know what a polynomial is

kek

>The Civil War was inevitable, but it didn't have to be that way
>I co ming offise to day AAAAaaaa?
>For one semester, we offered an even more basic math (a sub-pre-sub-remedial course)
Kek

But what is the reason for having a bunch of prerequisites for a specific major that have little or nothing to do with your major
I can understand wanting your students to be worldly, but if people can lose 2 months of information over the summer then what is the point of having them take 2 years of something they will forget after 5?

I'm not suggesting we do away with the system entirely, but if there was going to be a general education course, why wouldn't it be something that is universally (or at least nationally) useful

What meme?
The fact that colleges are filled with stupid people?
The fact that no one wants to take classes outside of their major?
These aren't memes

Literally wrong
Those courses are trash and you get nothing out of them
The only useful gen eds I took were ethics, general history classes, and writing composition
All the ones that focused on minorities were trash in which you didn't have to try and they were trying to push you towards a certain way of thinking

Protip: anytime they're telling you about these classes that are going to make you more "well rounded", "cultured", and that promote "diversity" and "inclusiveness" all they're doing is trying to make you take useless classes and give them even more money.

Anyone with a half a brain is going to benefit more from taking more classes within their major than useless classes outside of it

Why do you guys have a problem with this? Being surrounded by brainlets is amazing.

Just wait until you have to work with them.

>but if people can lose 2 months of information over the summer

You seriously believe that meme? That's just what public school math teachers say to justify wasting the entire fall with review.

That's sweet

Lel the average person is stupid as shit, that's why. The average high school in America is full of these stupid as shit people.

You know why we have so many people claiming to be "smart but lazy?" It's because they are average students attending these shithole flyover high schools where simply not being an 80 IQ mouth-breather gets you a 4.0. Then they get into a respectable college but when surrounded by people who shouldn't be summarily executed for stupidity, find themselves far outclassed and exposed as being pretty stupid themselves.

It's why people say that classes like Calc II or Physics I are "weedout" classes.

Because brainlets can't ever fucking teach themselves anything.

Sweet from the kid that hes rolling with it til he realises she is retarded. The entire post is a fucking red flag, pushing the kid far beyond "treat everyone with respect". Also,

>As a woman who has been abused & treated like crap in the past,

You do realise theres a very large chance shes one of those women for which abuse equals not getting their way?

>Lel the average person is stupid as shit, that's why. The average high school in America is full of these stupid as shit people.
These retards should be barred from "institutes of higher learning". Its amazing to see a ton of Americans deluding themselves into thinking a university education (or the degree, but those should be the same) is worth nothing. Well, if you got your "masters" in subsaharan pottery you shouldnt be surprised that you cant find a job.