Stephen king

What's your opinion on him? Some say he is a fantastic writer and story teller, others say he is a hack who can only write cheap horror.

What do you think?

I'm closer to the second opinion. I enjoy some of the films made of his books so there is something there. Interesting ideas, perhaps. One shouldn't forget that he can be one of those accused of being trite because he began what is now trite. Still, I've never read a thing of his that I really enjoyed, and I only ever finished one book: The Talisman, which I believe was co-written by Peter Straub. A writer I've never read.

I really enjoy Storm of the Century, though. Screen-written by King. Perhaps the television and film format puts restraint on him, the lack of which is the reason his books are so long-winded and boring.

his early works aren't bad. but everything after IT is literal shit.

pleb-tier literature with tiny red eyes in darkness

I like his prose, I don't like his stories.

Enormous respect for his work ethic and some of his earlier stuff.
I'm less keen on what he's been doing for the past 20 years or so, but hack or not he's a national treasure for you Americans.

He writes goosebumps for retarded adults, what do you think?

>he's a national treasure for you Americans

I read the Mist as a page turner earlier this year and enjoyed it. I've picked up a couple move King books this weekend and have found them to be a nice break from reading denser material.

Goosebumps were the shit

I think his books are fun to read, not exactly high literature or anything. I really enjoyed The Stand and that one where that shithole town gets trapped under a giant alien fishbowl. Been years since I've read anything of his though

His basic style isn't bad. The main problem is that he doesn't know when to end a book. Why would anyone need 1000+ pages to tell the story of a killer clown?

He looks too much like the Grinch or a Whoville Who for my fucking liking.

Today Steven King one of the best writer

To sell the book to the publisher

He's basically both.

"He held her and rocked her, believing, rightly or wrongly, that Ellie wept for the very intractability of death, its imperviousness to argument or to a little girl’s tears; that she wept over its cruel unpredictability; and that she wept because of the human being’s wonderful, deadly ability to translate symbols into conclusions that were either fine and noble or blackly terrifying. If all those animals had died and been buried, then Church could die
(any time!)
and be buried; and if that could happen to Church, it could happen to her mother, her father, her baby brother. To herself. Death was a vague idea; the Pet Sematary was real. In the texture of those rude markers were truths which even a child’s hands could feel."
-- Pet Sematary

underrated post

underwritten post

Why would anyone need a 1000+ pages to tell a story of a cheating wife?

I liked him a lot in middle school, him and Dean Koontz. As I got older, not so much. He's pretty good compared to other YA fiction.

Oh, and he does not know how to write an ending at all. I learned to just enjoy seeing how he'd fuck up the ending of whatever book I was reading by him.

I love IT, and think it's his best book. I also love that it's really long, but even I can admit he could have easily cut 100-200 pages out of it without really changing anything.

>Wow this seems interesting
>I thought this'd be a survival book
>Did you literally blow up half your world?
Engaging at the beginning, shit at the end

I think he writes more like a screenwriter than a novelist. Very plot heavy, clear and easy to read, and a lot of dialogue. He's a creative guy and the premises of his books are often interesting, but when you're making narrative this important you should probably focus more on the conclusion and cut the fat. His short stories are better than his novels.

As a genre writer he's definitely better than most

He's entertaining but Stephen King summed it up best himself.

I found Gunslinger difficult to follow

He does a great job at what he does. That said, he does write "literary fiction" and is totally aware of that. He doesn't try to write the Great American Novel, he writes interesting entertainment for people who think reading is fun.

I think he's a pretty good writer with amazing work ethic and he's at peace with his place in the world. I envy him and respect him but I'm not a big fan and I don't confuse him with Algernon Blackwood or Dostoyevsky.

what the fuck is wrong with his face