Help me shop for math textbooks

Hello Veeky Forums. I'm a college undergraduate majoring in mathematics. For Christmas I thought I'd buy myself a few math textbooks and some programming stuff.

Some topics that I'm looking for are category theory, functional analysis, complex analysis, real analysis, linear algebra, abstract algebra, logic, set theory, combinatronics, topology. Other topics are also welcome if there are good textbooks on them.

Pic is the textbooks currently on my shopping cart. I am not sure they are great but I've heard good things about them here, if you think I should go for something else let me know why and what I should pick instead.

Other urls found in this thread:

ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishek/chicmath.htm
Veeky
gen.lib.rus.ec/
bookzz.org/
extratorrent.cc/
thepiratebay.org/
google.co.uk/
notendur.hi.is/vae11/Þekking/principles_of_mathematical_analysis_walter_rudin.pdf
148.206.53.84/tesiuami/S_pdfs/Linear Algebra Done Right.pdf
ce.bonabu.ac.ir/uploads/30/CMS/user/file/115/EBook/Introduction.to.Algorithms.3rd.Edition.Sep.2010.pdf
web.mit.edu/alexmv/6.037/sicp.pdf
mirtitles.org/
math.osu.edu/sites/math.osu.edu/files/courses/1151_1.pdf
math.osu.edu/sites/math.osu.edu/files/courses/1161_2.pdf
math.osu.edu/sites/math.osu.edu/files/courses/1181H_1.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

exceedingly short reviews of a fair number of math texts at various levels
ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishek/chicmath.htm

SICP is free online and somewhat dated. It's a worthwhile endeavor, but only theoretically. Meanwhile Axler is the kind of book you'll have no use for whatsoever after you've worked through it. It's a good book, but one to get from the library.

For Logic, Enderton's Introduction to Mathematical Logic is where it's at. For combinatorics, Concrete Mathematics is where it's at. For Algebra, Dummit and Foote is where it's at.

SICP is too shallow to be worth your time. If you're not a highschool student or dumbass freshman (or a /g/fag who's deeply impressed by the slightest abstraction), get something with more meat.

No man, if you're looking for linear algebra then you should NOT be looking at functional /complex analysis yet.

Get some basic real analysis, Rudin is going to be useless for you at this point, it's more of a book to review analysis once you know it / to give lectures from. I like Tao's Analysis I. Axler is good. Cormen is ok, but it's more of a reference book than something you read from cover to cover. SICP is a meme. Do either analysis before topology or the other way around, the normal route is analysis first. Munkres is a classic topology book.

For algebra I like Rotman's "A first course". +1 to , good suggestions. You don't need category theory AND logic AND set theory right now. Pick ONE and do that. I recommend set theory, Jech's Set Theory is good.

Think of what you're doing, and ask someone who knows what he's doing to guide you. Don't go too broad or you'll fuck up. A good place to start is Linear Algebra + Real Analysis, and nothing more. Afterwards Set Theory + Topology and nothing more, and so on.

Oh this is excellent.
What would you recommend? Only picked it because of the fame and because it's a classic.
I've taken mathematical analysis I and also Linear Algebra. I really disliked the way My professor taught linear algebra.
I'm looking to purchase an entire mathematics curriculum worth of textbooks, I don't expect to start learning topology or category theory right now.

>I'm looking to purchase an entire mathematics curriculum worth of textbooks
why

buy one and fucking read it, you don't need a pile of 7 books at the same time

Yeah, so stay away from complex or functional! You need a good grasp of analysis in R^n to do complex analysis, and you need a good grasp of topology to do functional.

There's no point in buying an "entire curriculum". Tastes vary wildly. Get what's useful for you right now, and buy as you go. Axler is a great book.

>Only picked it because of the fame and because it's a classic
Unless you want to purchase them just to stare at the covers, do NOT do this. You buy books to use them heavily. People who just buy books to feel smart are the academic analogue of gamer girls, fucking disgusting.

I have the money. Stick to textbook recommendations and stop giving me financial advice.

Seriously. Study math. Don't collect books.
Borrow a book for your course during the holidays. From the libraries. Work through it.

There is no 'best' book. The best math text is the one you worked through.

Don't be like me. Wasted my 20s. And now dicking around on Veeky Forums.

Well i just saw it as one of those books that even if it's a bit outdated and not the best anyone whose a serious computer scientists should read even if just for historical reasons.

It doesn't sound like you have too much experience with rigorous math so Rudin is probably beyond your current abilities. Some easy books to self study are:

Elements of Set Theory by Enderton
Introduction to Logic: and to the Methodology of Deductive Sciences (Dover Books) by Alfred Tarski
An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers by Niven, Zuckerman, and Montgomery
Combinatorics and Graph Theory by Harris, Hirst, and Mossinghoff
A Combinatorial Introduction to Topology (Dover Books) by Henle [No combinatorics needed, it's actually an algebraic topology book]
Linear Algebra (Dover Books) by Georgi E. Shilov
Elementary Real and Complex Analysis (Dover Books) by Georgi E. Shilov [If you've gone through the above, you might be ready for Rudin]
Elementary Functional Analysis (Dover Books) by Georgi E. Shilov [Read it after Shilov's other 2 book]

For programming stuff see: Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

Don't be a shithead.
People are giving advice.
Your college has a fucking library.

Save your money.
You'll need them when you realized math degrees don't get you to Wall Street. Or anywhere, really.

>I've taken mathematical analysis I and also Linear Algebra

What book did you use?

>Jech's Set Theory is good.

Either a troll or sloppy. Baby Jech [Introduction to Set Theory by Hrbacek and Jech] is good. Jech's Set Theory is a graduate level book.

I used a portuguese textbook by Jaime C. Campos Ferreira.

>What would you recommend? Only picked it because of the fame and because it's a classic.

I'd recommend getting Axler at the library and buying Hoffman & Kunze which is a much better reference text.

user save yourself some money and just google search these books. Literally popped up as the first search result.

Also I don't know if you're into plant biology but Raven's plant biology is god tier.

Don't waste your time for "historical reasons", mate. There's too much to learn and too little time to be wasting it.

Fucking crybaby lmao. You don't get to choose what you're told. You're in a public space, and people will shit on your retarded idea of collecting books to show people how smart you are as much as we want to.

>Oh no it's a graduate level book run and hide now D:
A pretty easy undergraduate course can be done with the first 5 chapters, and some selections from 6 and 7. It's rigorous, it's not difficult. It's a graduate book because it contains tons of advanced shit in the next chapters.

If you're going to buy a book, something like that is exactly what you want: something that can pump over a year or more in classes for the topic.

Where do you get your books free Veeky Forums?

>You're in a public space, and people will shit on your retarded idea of collecting books to show people how smart you are as much as we want to.

That would require having anyone to show off to. Are you triggered that I told you to stay on topic? You can talk about whatever you want buddy, but is it that strange that I want you to answer to what I said instead of getting advice that I will not follow nor did I ask for?

libgen.io ; boofi; bookz

That wasnt me you fabulous pansy.

If you make a thread on advice for buying math books, people are going to tell you how NOT to go about buying math books, of course. Whining to people you asked for advice because you dont like their advice is only going to get people to hate you.

Axler's fine. Don't get SICP, cormen's fine. You could get discrete combinatorics or TACP. Rudin isn't much use, get Tao II or something else. Munkres is good. Artin / Dummit&Foote/rotman are good, read a bit of each and pick one.

i'm just gonna toss in a recommendation for spivak's calculus (4th ed), might round you out a bit more.

i'm interested in the same things, op.

i've read sicp, and it was helpful to an extent, but not worth owning. get the pdf and skip around to the parts relevant to you. it's not the gospel.

You're not the boss of me.
People not giving you what you wanted?
Get used to it.

Library. Use it. Save your money.
Your parents are sad enough you're doing a useless degree in a third-rate uni.

No. He already took a semester in analysis. Please keep up, user.

Alright fuck off now with your constant whining.
What do you care if I'm slightly financial irresponsible? No reasonable person would give a damn which only exposes that you're a bitter shitposter.

Do not buy SICP. It is an interesting book, but you will not be able to appreciate it as a math undergrad (a last year CS undergrad would already have enough trouble appreciating it as is). If you really want to learn Scheme, start by reading Land of Lisp and learning a bit of Common Lisp to appreciate the more practical aspects of a Lisp, and then if you can handle that you can consider reading a SICP pdf (not buying it - not before you're absolutely sure it's the right book for you).

this thread is shit because op is a huge fag

>644 KB

Why the fuck did you do that?

just reading the thread now and I've come to the same conclusion.

No ducks?

bro get the digital pdfs of these. the only one worth buying a physical copy of is rudins principles. its a classic in analysis that you cannot not have.

>gen.lib.rus.ec/
>bookzz.org/
>extratorrent.cc/
>thepiratebay.org/
>google.co.uk/

you'd be surprised how many pdfs google has that you can download. i.e:

principles of mathematical analysis
>notendur.hi.is/vae11/Þekking/principles_of_mathematical_analysis_walter_rudin.pdf

linear algebra done right
>148.206.53.84/tesiuami/S_pdfs/Linear Algebra Done Right.pdf

introduction to algorithms
>ce.bonabu.ac.ir/uploads/30/CMS/user/file/115/EBook/Introduction.to.Algorithms.3rd.Edition.Sep.2010.pdf

structure and interpretation of computer programs
>web.mit.edu/alexmv/6.037/sicp.pdf

like ??? user

>Your parents are sad enough you're doing a useless degree in a third-rate uni.
maximum projection

I want to go through this, and serge lang's basic mathematics book. Anyone have any experiences with these? I want to get to the level where I can solve really challenging algebra/geo problems and can clear the concepts of basic calculus easily.
(For calculus I'm doing kleppner's quick calculus, since it fits my needs)

>I want to get to the level where I can solve really challenging algebra/geo problems

Geometry Revisited by Coxeter
Algebra, an Elementary Textbook for the Higher Classes of Secondary Schools and for Colleges: Volume I&II by Chrystal

Here is a website with a bunch of old soviet textbooks. Aside from math there are books in physics, engineering, etc.

>mirtitles.org/

Why pirate books when you have libraries?
Pajeet's mentality.

not OP, but is Fraleigh a good book? in my college it's used in undergraduate abstract algebra,but I wanted to know to what extent can some other books be used in its place and if it is on par with the other good books out there

Hoffman and Kunze is better than Axler

Rosenlicht is good to learn out of then get Rudin

Rudins real and complex analysis

Any General topology book. Munkres, Gamelin, Mendelson, Kahn, Willard. The best is probably Armstrongs since he does more algebraic topology.

Herstein or Artin. Then Lang. For algebra.

Lang or Conway for complex analysis.

Milnor and Guillemin and Pollacks differential topology. Milnor is really short.

One book from each is more than enough for undergrad

Can you take a quick look at Curtis' abstract linear algebra and compare it to Hoffman and Kunze?

>Curtis' abstract linear algebra

It doesn't look quite as comprehensive as hoffman and kunze but uses a bit more modern abstract algebra. Honestly just save the abstract algebraic approach until you have a working knowledge of h&k then just read Artin or Roman.

Pro tip: Just pirate the ebooks

Glancing at the contents, these books are amazing, thanks!

I used it as a complementary text in my ring theory course, I like it beacuse it develops each subject more than the standard textbook used in class (Jacobson) and tries to give intuition before theorems.

thanks for the input friendo

Does anyone have a solution set of Hoffman and Kunze?

you don't need that. what are you, a brainlet?

:C

>is Fraleigh a good book

No. Fraleigh, Gallian, and Pinter are brainlet Abstract Algebra books aimed at future high school teachers who are required to take the course but won't pursue math further.

>I wanted to know to what extent can some other books be used in its place and if it is on par with the other good books out there

Herstein's Topics in Algebra, Artin's Algebra, and DF are the cannon undergrad books. Jacobson's Basic Algebra, McLane Algebra, or Aluffi are a bit more advanced.

Fraleigh is fine but the proofs are often handwavey

>not buying scientifically inaccurate texts to learn the foundations of modern thought

SICP is a very good book. You should read it and work through it.

I will but won't purchase. Any recommendations of up to date textbook?

For algorithms, Cormen's good, but it's more of a reference book, and quite advanced. Use a MOOC instead, like at ocw.mit.edu

Sicp is up to date you tard, purchasing doesn't matter as long as you read your books and work through them. Personally I like owning physical copies of my favorite books because I'm a book fetishist who shows off his bookshelf and because I find them more convenient to read than pdfs.

Also textbooks are often very expensive, so i suggest you try used ones on abebooks

To do the sicp excercise you can either use scheme, or translate them to some different but richer functional language like scala.

OP here. Another question. I'll have credit for Calculus 1, but would like to retake a legit version of it before jumping into Calculus 2 (a notorious weed out class at OSU).

OSU offers regular Calc 1, Accelerrated Calc 1, and Honors Calc 1.. and I'm not sure which one to go into. Here are the three courses:
>math.osu.edu/sites/math.osu.edu/files/courses/1151_1.pdf
>math.osu.edu/sites/math.osu.edu/files/courses/1161_2.pdf
>math.osu.edu/sites/math.osu.edu/files/courses/1181H_1.pdf

Thoughts?

>Honors Calc 1
jesus, that's a lot of material for one semester

You're not OP, I'm OP.
You're so retarded. Get the fuck out of my thread.

>functional analysis
Brezis - Functional Analysis
Schechter - Principles of Functional Analysis
Stein & Shakarchi - Analysis IV
> complex analysis
Ahlfors - Complex Analysis
Rudin - Real and Complex Analysis
Stein & Shakarchi - Analysis II
>real analysis
Rudin - Principles of Mathematical Analysis
Rudin - Real and Complex Analysis
Stein & Shakarchi - Analysis I, III, IV
>abstract algebra
Artin - Algebra
Atiyah-Macdonald - Introduction to Commutative Algebra
Lang - Algebra
>logic
Poizat - A Course in Model Theory
>set theory
Krivine - Axiomatic Set Theory
>combinatronics
Aigner - Combinatorial Theory
>topology
Bott & Tu - Differential Forms in Algebraic Topology
Gamelin & Greene - Introduction to Topology
Milnor - Topology From the Differentiable Viewpoint
Spanier - Algebraic Topology

But really,

Is Simmons really good? His book for Calculus is always used in University but I hardly see it being recommended here.

>For Christmas I thought I'd buy myself a few math textbooks
Lol. Pathetic LARPing. Kill yourself, my dude.

>You're so retarded. Get the fuck out of my thread.
Did I hurt ur feefees?

Yeah, I am not OP.

I did not mean to post that in this thread

why not munkres on topology? isn't it a "staple"?

Do Honors Calc. It seems to cover everything in Calc 1 and 2

Good Post
Shitpost
Shitpost

Learn to stay on topic you mentally disabled mongoloids.

Dude, take my advice if you want.
Get out of the fantasy that you'll finish reading all of these "great" math and cs texts.

Stop daydreaming. Do the work.
Collecting books is easy.
Actually doing the work is not.

Why would you assume that I won't read them?

Because if you were interested in studying you'd be reading one of the 4+ you've already got picked out instead of shopping for 20 more that will last you the next 5 years minimum

I fucking hate this infographic so much. Only half these books are good, other half are readable, it's like whoever made this intentionally tried to avoid picking more popular books, rather than the best ones

>programming stuff.

But I am reading them. Why does everyone keep making assumptions? For textbooks especially physical format is much better imo. This thread is also about reviewing textbooks, if there's better alternatives to what I'm reading I would prefer to go with those as I am not entirely happy with Rudin or LADR.

What a waste of money. You won't get through even 10 pages before school starts up again.

>intentionally tried to avoid picking more popular books, rather than the best ones

Which books/subjects are you referring to?

Rosen, Epp, Johnsonbaugh and other DM books are trash
Sipser is too shallow, Kozen+Arora/Barak make for a much better introduction
Engineering a Compiler/Tanenbaum OS are just as common/loved as the dragon/dinosaur book
Meyer is better than Strang's Linear Algebra and Applications
Nielsen and Chuang is a bit much unless you plan on entering the field

Cause u stupid underage ban

Is hefferons linear algebra good? How does it compare to other books?

Seeing those pleb books and that pleb post made me legitimately embarrassed.

Fuck off back to please

> ethics for the computer age
> design patterns: elements of reusable object-oriented software
> the mythical man month
> taking care of myself

laughing_sluts.png

>somewhat dated
Oh do fuck off. The basics of devising and maintaining computer programs never get "dated".

OP, this book changed my life for the better.

>t. faggot whose decisions are all based on being contrarian relative to board culture

All these books are written by experts, but I'm sure a retarded brainlet like you who browses Veeky Forums knows more about it. You attitude is the only embarrassing thing here.

It's a matrix algebra textbook that's not expensive

Strang's is superior to Meyer imo

>Sisper is too shallow
Yet there's an survey of information theory and learning algorithms?
See this is where I get annoyed, half the list is very basic broad works, then the other half is graduate texts that are either outdated or so specialized half the content is handwaving. Is this supposed to be an essential list, or a comprehensive list? If its supposed to be essential, then there only needs to be 8-10 books. The algorithm books heavily overlap with each other. The computer vision and image processing book are irrelevant now. Statistics book should be replaced with Wassermann's book. The game engine book is a questionable addition. No books on computer security, and only one on crypto which should be replaced by Schneier and then Hoffmann's added. No Art of programming either? Computer graphics but no UI book or web book. Only one networking but two distributed?

>Arora/Barak
Their text is a graduate text that focuses on recent work. Papadimitriou's is far superior for learning about the area.
>kozen
Kozen's book is painfully slow, Papadimitriou's computation book is also better

>anyone who calls my opinions retarded is wrong because important people share those opinions
>not only that, anyone saying something wrong NEEDS me to shitpost replying back to them
go back to Iedd*t seriously

My point totally went over your heard. You've exposed yourself as a brainlet.

>Statistics book should be replaced with Wassermann's book

Someone in CS should know more than what's in "All of Statistics".

All of us wasted our time on Veeky Forums.
That's a pretty brainlet thing to do.
We are all brainlets here.

I somewhat agree.

All these textbooks are generally considered great by most actual academics, only faggot channers wannabes who shit on books because some other board likes them.

Much like majors dick sizing contests, only undergraduates who know nothing about their own field seem to do so.

Wasserman's book is the best machine learning/data mining book available. It serves the purpose of covering important concepts statistics, as well as giving a strong basis which to build knowledge of machine learning off.

Regardless of whether or not it contains "all of statistics", it has other benefits.

to be fair a more traditional statistics text would be useful too, but Wasserman should be included.

stay the fuck away from brannan

Get yourself this one OP:

David Williams - Probability with Martingales

I know you don't want to hear this OP: but you're just buying these books to feel good. Buy yourself a book (or pirate it, but ebooks aren't as nice to work through as physical copies), work through it and THEN buy the next book.

Also I'm looking for recommendations for books on optimization myself.

People have been telling him this throughout the thread, he doesn't get it and will just tell you to stay on topic though

I have a few pure math books from the Dover series, people say they suck but they are short, cheap and soft cover so i dont give a fuck. I don't think it matters too much with math how good of a writer or teacher the author is.

Also, you're getting way too many books at once, that's just your hoarder mentality and you are probably never going to read them, especially when the new book novelty wears off. They'll be forgotten and collecting dust while you go and order more books like a faggot.

Meh, one day OP will wake up to find out he's not good in any of anything.
Because he spent time collecting books and pdfs instead of doing well in classes.

Don't life in your fantasy. Do the work.