EMDRIVE IN SPACE: A SUCCESS

popsci.com/I6e7som75zjo7EHe.03
EMDRIVE: CHINA CLAIMS SUCCESS WITH THIS 'REACTIONLESS' ENGINE FOR SPACE TRAVEL

It's a piece of space tech that sounds almost too good to be true. The "reactionless" Electromagnetic Drive, or EmDrive for short, is an engine propelled solely by electromagnetic radiation confined in a microwave cavity. Such an engine would violate the law of conservation of momentum by generating mechanical action without exchanging matter. But since 2010, both the United States and China have been pouring serious resources into these seemingly impossible engines. And now China claims its made a key breakthrough.

Dr. Chen Yue, Director of Commercial Satellite Technology for the China Academy of Space Technology (CAST) announced on December 10, 2016 that not only has China successfully tested EmDrives technology in its laboratories, but that a proof-of-concept is currently undergoing zero-g testing in orbit (according to the International Business Times, this test is taking place on the Tiangong 2 space station).

>physicists on suicide watch

Other urls found in this thread:

ibtimes.co.uk/emdrive-chinese-space-agency-put-controversial-tech-onto-satellites-soon-possible-1596328
reddit.com/r/EmDrive/comments/5i1otc/electromagnetic_drive_arabian_nights_or_a_major/
emdrive.wiki/Experimental_Results
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I wish there was a forecast for when they expect results.

>Such an engine would violate the law of conservation of momentum by generating mechanical action without exchanging matter
stop posting stupid shit

Looks like you have to rewrite your textbooks, sonny.

Reality doesn't care.

that line i quoted is twisting words and concepts into a state beyond recognition. it DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. if you aren't smart enough to read >popsci.com you shouldn't be posting here. if you aren't smart enough to understand when you're reading bullshit you should be focusing on your education.

A fair step for based chinks, a gigantic fuck you to traditional western science dogma.

what did they prove again? can you show me an article with their findings? or is an article written on popsci.com enough to persuade you something is truth?

I hope you are kidding, there is really no proof that they have done anything. And if they did do anything, it would have only been as a result of the usual chink tactics - copying the west.

Space Travel is upon us.

And so is space warfare.

>Popsci.com
>China claims...

China also claims that nothing happened in Tienanmen square.

ibtimes.co.uk/emdrive-chinese-space-agency-put-controversial-tech-onto-satellites-soon-possible-1596328

reddit.com/r/EmDrive/comments/5i1otc/electromagnetic_drive_arabian_nights_or_a_major/

The Chinese article

buttblasted physicists crying over their wasted years regurgitating fairyland models.

wft I love memedrive now,

WHY IS THE MEMEDRIVE SO GOOD

WHY DOES IT HURT MY BRAIN SO MUCH BUT I STILL CANT GET ENOUGH OF IT

I LITERALLY ORGASM AT THE THOUGHT OF HAVING LEARNED BULLSHIT FOR ALL THESE YEARS IN COLLEGE

I REGRET NOTHING

But, China has never even been to space. They don't even have rocket technology.

I'll wait till I have one in my car to start celebrating

Yeah I'm a retarded layman here but it seems like the reason it doesn't break the universe is that it requires a shitload of energy input to do anything, so it's not a fairy tale "perpetual" or "infinite" machine anyway

That said there's a benefit because you don't need to carry a ton of propellant to throw out your asshole to push you away but nevertheless you'd need a bitchin reactor

It requires a lot of energy to produce more kinetic energy than what you put into it. It's still free energy.

The Chinese are on the forefront of submitting garbage to scientific journals, and continually pollute the peer review process (especially in the medical community) with a zerg rush that only China is capable of.

That's only at relativistic velocities which is out of the scope of humans, and it's probably junk science anyway.

>scientific cuck

>That's only at relativistic velocities which is out of the scope of humans
Not true. The break-even velocity is given by

V = 2Rc/(1+R^2)

Where R is the ratio of thrust/power of emdrive to thrust/power of a photon rocket.

The fastest thing humans have ever created is the pair of Helios probes, which reached speeds of approximately 70km/s

To have that speed be the break even speed you would only need an R of 17131 or greater.

Now check out this page which gives experimental results of R

emdrive.wiki/Experimental_Results

Five experiments give Rs greater than that.

Now consider that the Helios probes were launched in the 70s, these are only "prototype" meme drives being tested, and the other tests are not far behind 17131.

So if the memedrive worked as advertised, it would mean easy free energy.

+ for science

>the reason it doesn't break the universe is that it requires a shitload of energy input to do anything, so it's not a fairy tale "perpetual" or "infinite" machine anyway
>That's only at relativistic velocities

Q factor of the resonance cavity is the best way of determining the efficiency of the EM drive in generating thrust, the higher the better on a linear scale. The current test machines have all operated at less than

What gets me is not the memedrive. Its how many people are convinced ANY of our current models for anything in the universe are 'true'.

IF the Emdrive is "pushing off" of an unknown and normally very hard to detect something, then it's nothing magical at all,it's just using a fuel we normally can't interact with that's everywhere and it's not violating any thermodynamic laws.

Hey guys quick poll. Are you buttblasted about meme drive?

>emdrive.wiki/Experimental_Results
>including the retracted NWPU results without even a mention they were retracted

Nah. Why would you be? Either it's nothing and the Chinese and Harold white look like dopey cunts, or it's real and we get to see the biggest shitstorm in physics of all time.

Oh and space will actually genuinely open up too. nuclear freighters will be cruising out to Europa within a decade if it works.

I want it to work, god damn it, why am I this gullible?

What do you expect user, it's a wiki run by like 5 people, half of who are probably schizophrenic.

Link doesn't even work.

>why am I this gullible?

Because the guy who made it was too smug about it and because your degree becomes a joke

Degrees are already jokes, this is just confirming what ive been saying all along.

On second look, they at least put in a null result from NWPU.

I don't even have a degree, I'm very conscious of how improbable this is, but the dreamer in me is kicking the shit out of the skeptic right now.

I'm just so tired of how mundane our universe is at the macro scale, all the fun things and awesome places are so far away as to take millennia of travel even at "fast" speed of a thousand miles per second. The weird what the fuck almost magical shit is all happening at a level too small for us to more than indirectly perceive. This is a macroscale miracle, it's like a giant sized quantum eraser or something, something that destroys intuitions and makes you stagger back in bewilderment at the weirdness of everything.

Listen to this stupid shit i'm typing, I'm so fucking ignorant about all of this, that's probably why i bother paying any attention to this dreck.

>Because the guy who made it was too smug about it
this tbqh

>Listen to this stupid shit i'm typing, I'm so fucking ignorant about all of this, that's probably why i bother paying any attention to this dreck.
you're not wrong

it's like if there was a maths article published saying 2+2=4 is a lie and it actually is 5. there'd be people going mental saying we get free shit now because we can just put 2 doughnuts with 2 more 2 doughnuts and we suddenly get a free doughnut. infinite doughnuts for everyone!

well, I believe in free doughnuts just as much as I believe in the memedrive.

This is a little different than that user, it might just be that thing is pushing off of something that's hard to detect, ie, it has thrust and is in fact 100% compatible with physics.

And need I remind all of you that in point of fact a "reactionless" drive IS possible if you could ever warp space a la an Alcubierre drive? This might even in some weird indirect way be doing just that.

>it might just be that thing is pushing off of something that's hard to detect
well, that's not reactionless thrust so it's not really what we're talking about and my point doesn't apply

if it works it would literally be possible to put in 2 units of energy and then 2 more and get 5 out which is, I think, pretty closely aligned to my example

fuck thats enough. im moving to maths.

nah its fake. never trust chinks.

>It's a piece of space tech that sounds almost too good to be true
really makes you think

If the universe is actually a simulation,could this working be due to some underlying oversight in the system?

It's honestly a bit dumb to assume the universe is a simulation when discussing physics. It's a bit like saying "but what if there's a god that keeps everything together?"

Most of the objections that rely on the free energy aspect assume that the memedrive would continue to produce constant thrust at high velocities. If that is true then it's certainly a damning fact, but it hasn't actually been shown to be the case.

Fuck off back to /r/emdrive or wherever you come from

Petition to call it REMdrive because they're all dreaming

Solar sails using lasers is a reactionless drive, and no one seems to care about that.

because sails are gay

I guess they are, but they're still only using electricity to power the lasers, which propels the craft

It has the same lack of expelled mass as the EM drive

Serious it would need a constant line of sight to work, and as we all know laser beams disperse with distance until there is not enough repulsive force to push the sail.

There's also the problem of breaking if you don't have a laser set up at your destination.

Can actually be done by useing celestial bodys, as a brake.

>Solar sails using lasers is a reactionless drive
wrong

>useing celestial bodys, as a brake.
umm... isnt that called crashing?

Only if you hit it. If you manage to stop before it hits, then no.

No. Whatever design you use, conservation of energy applies. If your design is a reflective one, then the laser suffers a doppler shift as it hits your sail. If you actually have a laser propulsion, then the electrons in you batteries that are in an excited state lose energy as they power the laser and go to a less excited state, losing mass as they do.

Did they ever rule out the microwaves expelling the copper as propellant?

underrated

>Did they ever do a good job?

What do you think, user?

I have a published paper that claims exactly that.

Wew

AYYY LMAO

how would they escape? are microwaves unsave too now?

If emdrive is real how come my microwave doesn't fly?

Holy fuck, my sides

That's not funny. Delete that post.

same reason your fan doesn't fly away when you turn it on.
ghosts are holding it.

Kyubey eternallly btfo

I came to Veeky Forums because the threads on /k/, Veeky Forums and /pol/ are all to retarded to believe.

But this is actually the same shit.

Stay classy, Veeky Forums.

What did you expect when even the scientists are puzzled with meme drive?

Nothing in particular.

I was just hoping for some insight as to why it works or why it's bullshit.

>why it works
No one knows

>why it's bullshit
Because of past experience of the last 400 years

Chinese propaganda, unironically fake news.
Someone in their space agency is scoring political points by "beating" the US after the whole Trump thing.

STOP SPREADING FAKE NEWS RRREEEEEEEEEE

Thank you for your service

>I was just hoping for some insight as to why it works

It doesn't work

> or why it's bullshit.

Pic related. It looks more like something heating up then cooling down, so my money is on some thermal effect. It wouldn't be with out precedent, there was something called the Pioneer anomaly, it was a very small acceleration (on the order of [math] 10^{-9} ms^{-2} [/math]) that was causing Pioneer 10 and 11 to drift off course, from the time it was discovered no one had much of an idea what was causing it, although there were a lot of """"explanations"""" for it, sound familiar? Well after years of investigation, accurate modeling of the interior of the probes showed that there was some anisotropy in the emission of radiation, and that when this anisotropy is properly taken into account, the anomaly disappears.

I'd put my money on a similar effect in the case of memedrive.

I fully believe that the meme drive works and I take great delight in the tears of Materialist philistines, BUT anything China says should almost be presumed false at this point.

>I take great delight in the tears of Materialist

>posting memes

Nice rebuttal, cuck.

>an unironic materialist
>>>/garbagecanofhistory/

What can we also meme into existence? Cold fusion?

>implying you wouldn't be smug after inventing by pure chance the definitive "fuck you" engine

>come here expecting actual new info
>nothing new
FUCK OFF WITH YOUR CLAIMED SUCCESS

THEY ARE TESTING IT BUT HAVEN'T CONFIRMED ANYTHING IN ORBIT SO PRETTY MUCH THEY STAND WHERE NASA DOES

IF SUPER CONDUCTING EM DRIVE IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO LIFT A CAR THEN WHY THE FUCK WON'T THEY MAKE IT OR AT LEAST TRY TO MAKE THE THRUST STRONGER?

If you found something great by chance, would you lie saying you did it on purpose?

What kind of fucking retards even fund this shit?

This is wrong on so many levels i don't even
Someone should clean up NASA and fire people.

i fucking LOVE this timeline. Can't wait to memememe around in space.

Since China won the meme race, how will we be able to compete?

Why compete? Let's turn the tables on them. Let them do all the work this time, and we will steal all their trade secrets.

>steal all their trade secrets
>from a racially homogeneous totalitarian state

lol

>China claims

stopped reading there

Do you even E-cat?

Try giving them money. That usually works because of the crazy high incentive to be corrupted in their economy.

>Space Travel is upon us.
>And so is space warfare.

We have been traveling through space since the beginning of time. -
- Also we're traveling though time -
Our planet moves, our solar system moves, Galaxie ...

>This

Honestly Chinese authors consistently publish utter shite

Fuckin skin effect, rot E = 0 on the surface is a fucking meme and not applicable to the real world. I could imagine the E field entering the copper and interacting with the atoms (plasmonic resonance?) kicking copper atoms out of the wall.

Wait a second. Are you trying to suggest that Chinese IQ isn't higher than all other countries combined? Just give it time.