Help

Hello Veeky Forums

There is a simple rule to remember how to do calculus. What is it?

*Maths test tomorrow, worried.

Don't be a brainlet.

What's that supposed to mean?

low d high minus high d low, square the bottom and you're good to go (home and cry that you couldn't remember the quotient rule without a nursery rhyme)

lim (h->0) [f(x+h) - f(x)] / h will give you any d/dx
Stokes Theorem for integral problems

the simple rule is do the fucking practice problems

huh?
udv - vdu / v^2

equals the derivative of v/u numnuts

what do d high and d low mean?

the rule is take real analysis and stop fucking around with hand waving

d high is the derivative of the numerator.

translating this gay ass rhyme is more complicated than just memorizing (u'v-uv') / v^2

Ok dude, it's a thread about calculus memory aids, but you can go ahead and shit all over everything if you want.

How do you not remember something as simple as the fucking quotient rule? Especially when you have to memorize the quadratic formula, double and half angle formulas, law of cosines, etc to even get to this class?

I teach calculus, I don't study it. This is a dumb thread though. It's not clear what OP is even asking for. I think we should all sage it now.

If you teach calculus and you don't know how to quickly derive those formulas, you need to stop doing it.

just remember the chain rule and how to take derivatives of powers-->you don't have to sing shit

[math]
d\left(\frac{f}{g}\right) =d\left( f g^{-1}\right)
=
g^{-1} df -f g^{-2} dg
=
\frac{gdf - f dg}{g^2}
[/math]

Why would you assume I don't derive the formula for my students, or that I do so slowly?

Once again, this is ostensibly a thread about how to remember how to do calculus. Therefore I posted a memory aid. You have repeatedly failed to understand this, therefore you are a retard.

Breaking story: cocky TA insists he wears the big boy pants despite being a Veeky Forums poster. Further bulletins as events warrant.

OP here, I'm doing Computer Science and we have a maths module, didn't take A level maths so it's all new to me.

I only have to do basic Calculus but my friend said you just have to do something and something and you'll be fine.
It was a catchphrase- take the square and multiply by something?
That's what I want.

(I don't understand all the things)

Some people like seeing that, some people like the rhyme, and some autistic retards like the other guy just memorize the formula. In any classroom there will be several of each type, so it's important to have things like the rhyme on hand for those who are helped by it.

if youre gonna teach him calculus do it correctly, its not v/u its u/v

He is the one who fucked it up by writing it in the wrong order, I just wrote v/u to match his expression.

i am not sure how you got into a computer science program without A level math? were there no math requirements??? thas impossible no?

It's the rhyme I posted god damnit, I knew it!

Autismo here

Whenever I get stuck on calculus, I just remember the following mnemonic:

Multiplication Is Triangles And Three Is Yellow.

Doesn't stand for anything though.

The divisor goes on the bottom.
If f'(u/v) = u'v-uv' / v^2
udv - vdu / v^2

mitatiy great

This one didn't pal, I did A level physics so I guess they assumed I had some skill with maths- ended up not getting a good grade though.

Some of it I could derive from Physics calculations.

Okay thank you.

You're right, I did mess that up. Whatever, this thread is cancer anyways.

i think he meant the top was butchered already. the denominator never stood a chance

deriving the whole of differentiation during a test is a very inefficient albeit autistic way to do stuff man...

If u dv, I'll v du
Lick daddy's balls. Ooo Ooo Ooo

OP wanted something that was one thing that would work for anything. For differentiation that would be it.

Brilliant!

OP here, so I'm given a formula sheet so if I follow those, I should be okay?

What if I don't know how to follow them?

man, you're given the sheet... learn how to use them. we can't help you further than this.
you're on your own - learn calculus! do practice problems!

Quotient rule:

Down To Fuck
Derivative Top First

betterexplained.com