What does lit think of transhumanism

Other urls found in this thread:

gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=1018568
newgrounds.com/portal/view/551022
youtube.com/watch?v=o2o2-k3kM6A
youtube.com/watch?v=vB_g-RSIGfM#t=04m26s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He'll just get injure like Griffon and McCown

I think Deus Ex explored all aspect of it.
Pro: it can help people regain physical mobility and sight.
Con: people will be judged by their upgrades and a person without upgrades will never compare to a person with upgrades.

Is there any further discussion that needs to be said?

sauce.

Jenny wakeman

I know it's jenny.
I mean the full picture.

here you go

gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=1018568

newgrounds.com/portal/view/551022

:^)

We already failed at just being human.

That's assuming a capitalist society.

First /co/, then /v/, now Veeky Forums...

Is XJ-9 taking over all of Veeky Forums?

The next best thing to antinatalism.

>newgrounds

The con has already happened, to an extent. Remember the guy with leg prostheses that ran in the Olympics? The controversy over his participation was overshadowed by his murder conviction, but that was technically an issue of transhumanism.

>Poor little tink tink
His legs made him faster than human legs. Also he strangled his gf. Fucking augs

It's a alright mang

Personally wouldn't do it

Cishumanism is better.

I don't see transhumanism developing in any other type of society.
Ayn Rand disliked transhumanism because the end goal is to cheat death and once you can no longer die, you lose all sense of morals.

as soon as it outlives its usefulness, humanity will be liquidated by the technocapital omnipod

24 officially sanctioned genders

facial tentacles gain popularity among teens throughout the greater NATO co-prosperity sphere

a taiwanese created hyper-addictive mmorpg that gradually turns the user into a terminally obese NEET through neuroprogramming. their business model involves the exchange of human fat for in-game currency

Peter Thiel and Zuckerberg become AI god-kings and enslave humanity forever

no thanks

One does not need the best in order to be the best. The majority of us currently have the same abilitys in comparison to what human bodys can achieve, yet few of us are able to kill another with a paper clip. If the latter had increased mobility chances are theres still another with the knowledge of how to immobilize him.

One can be better by knowing ones strengths.

This is just in context of destruction, even in the ability to perform in applications such as music or arts, if one has increased mobility and other various upgrades if you will, there will always be another with less upgrades who performs better. This is because it is subjective and its worth is determined by the maker and the observer.

To reach on another point, the conclusion that a transhuman would look down on another simply because he hasnt had the latest version of java downloaded is absurd. If the human race is at that point in technological terms and one still only cares about what separates him from another, to the point of neglecting the existence of another, then we have bigger issues.

"All Western scientific models of communication are—like the Shannon–Weaver model—linear, sequential, and logical as a reflection of the late medieval emphasis on the Greek notion of efficient causality."[80] McLuhan and Powers criticize the Shannon-Weaver model of communication as emblematic of left-hemisphere bias and linearity, descended from Aristotelean causality.

A third term of The Global Village that McLuhan and Powers develop at length is The Tetrad. The tetrad is something like threads in a complexly interwoven flowing superspace, a four-fold pattern of transformation. "At full maturity the tetrad reveals the metaphoric structure of the artifact as having two figures and two grounds in dynamic and analogical relationship to each other." [81] Like the camera focused on the Earth by the Apollo 8 astronauts, the tetrad reveals figure (Moon) and ground (Earth) simultaneously. The right-brain hemisphere thinking is the capability of being in many places at the same time. Electricity is acoustic. It is simultaneously everywhere. The Tetrad, with its fourfold Möbius topological structure of enhancement, reversal, retrieval and obsolescence, is mobilized by McLuhan and Powers to illuminate the media or technological inventions of cash money, the compass, the computer, the database, the satellite, and the global media network.

Underrated post

>One does not need the best in order to be the best.
No, but there will be a hierarchy of transhumanism. At first it will be people who are augmented against those who aren't. Then a technological race will begin and the most upgraded with the best upgrade will be valued more than the ones with lesser upgrades. And as such, you won't be judging a person by their character, skill or personality, but their upgrades.

>there will always be another with less upgrades who performs better.
I disagree. This will only happen until the technology is perfected. When the proper hands will be developed that makes people never miss a note, unable to feel the pain in their fingers and still play music just as well, if not better, than those with regular hands, then hierarchies will be formed.

>This is because it is subjective and its worth is determined by the maker and the observer.
Something being subjective will not be enough if the person with augmented hands plays objectively better music than a normal person.

>To reach on another point, the conclusion that a transhuman would look down on another simply because he hasnt had the latest version of java downloaded is absurd.
You're confusing software for hardware. A person with hands able to write at 1000000 words a minute will be better than a normal human or a lesser version of that upgraded artificial hand.

When your task is done better by someone with better hardware, no amount of convincing will make someone look at you better. A kid with titanium legs is going to be better than a kid with wooden legs.

>If the human race is at that point in technological terms and one still only cares about what separates him from another, to the point of neglecting the existence of another, then we have bigger issues.
Which soldier is more valuable, one with leg enhancements or a regular soldier?
With soldier is more valuable, one with leg enhancements or one with with leg enhancements and arm enhancements?

You cannot escape hierarchies from being formed. People will be judged by their upgrades over who they are until there is nothing a normal person can provide.

>Then a technological race will begin

It'll be about as dramatic as people scrambling to get the new Iphone.
Keep in mind that as technological advancement occurs it becomes cheaper.
Don't over-estimate, that leads down the path to science fiction.

>hands able to write at 1000000 words a minute

That would be impossible but I understand what you're saying. The brain cannot process information that quickly, that is the ultimate barrier. If we are able to produce artificial brains that are better than our own then all bets are off.

>You cannot escape hierarchies from being formed.

This is true, but I doubt it will ever be as dramatic as anyone thinks.

There will be no arms race it will just be business as usual.

>There will be no arms race it will just be business as usual.
This p much. We have the technology now to automate everything. Why don't we do it? It costs. Technology does not inherently increase throughput either, you always work at the speed of your slowest worker/process, and even if that wasn't an issue, the market will only demand so much anyway.

You may not be able to escape hierarchys, but they do not have to be the sole purpose of having technology capable of creating transhumans. The human race needs to understand that the fight to survive can only be won together, one man can not invent the technology of tomorrow. Every human plays a significant roll in what we develope, and how we survive. That includes the lesser upgraded beings.

I feel your points are implying humans keep the same frame of mind as they do now, when confronted with such power that we will see in the future, and I have to disagree. Humans will evolve mentally, undoubtedly, we are only now adapting to this new environment we have created to which we are the apex predators of earth, there is only improvement from here, or destruction, but it will not be as it is today.

Furthermore, I believe your point in music is null, but thats my opinion. I could find a 10minute song of a single note being played better than an upgraded transhumans 10,000 note 2second song. The worth is made by the maker and observer in terms of 'likeing' something.

the gay liberal version of posthumanism
the concept of humanity was a mistake that needs to be corrected

Augmentation is inevitable. We've already seen in the past century that regardless of the consequences, humanity will take the next technological step eventually. The entirety of genres like sci-fi and cyberpunk deal with this the anxiety of this predicament and try to warn us, but in the end it's pointless.

>It'll be about as dramatic as people scrambling to get the new Iphone.
Except the Iphone may cost several thousands instead of some few hundreds.

>Keep in mind that as technological advancement occurs it becomes cheaper.
The cheaper the technology, the wider the technological hierarchy gap.
What's the difference between a person getting a flip phone from 15 years and someone getting an iphone?

>The brain cannot process information that quickly, that is the ultimate barrier.
What if devices are directly connected to the brain and nervous system and makes doing actions faster than the physical limit?

>This is true, but I doubt it will ever be as dramatic as anyone thinks.
Well no, of course. It will seemingly happen over time, but I still feel that people will be judged by their upgrades rather than who they are as a person.

>fight to survive can only be won together, one man can not invent the technology of tomorrow. Every human plays a significant roll in what we develope, and how we survive. That includes the lesser upgraded beings.
That's extremely optimistic.

>Humans will evolve mentally, undoubtedly, we are only now adapting to this new environment we have created to which we are the apex predators of earth, there is only improvement from here, or destruction, but it will not be as it is today.
Hmmm, well morally we are changing as a society that embraces empathy more as the foundation of morals, but I don't know if I can be that optimistic. Maybe I'm just narrowminded and seeing as far as my own lifetime rather than the possibility of the human race lifetimes later than my own.

>The entirety of genres like sci-fi and cyberpunk deal with this the anxiety of this predicament and try to warn us, but in the end it's pointless.

youtube.com/watch?v=o2o2-k3kM6A

It's inevitable, so you better start embrace it and regulate it.

ZOLTAN ISTVAN 2016!

regulate it? have you even read any Istvan? he's like the max stirner of transhumanist science-fiction

>pointlessly fiddling with the material formality of this world

Not a fan.

>Not a fan
Well, transhumanism could fix that for you.

Nick Land is a posthumanist

This, people are curious monkeys we literally can't help ourselves from opening Pandora's tight little box.

Pathetic idealism loved by people who hope to achieve everything without putting effort in the now.

Wasn't his position essentially "Humanity is so fucked, but that's okay" ? Not your average transhumanist infantile optimistic bullshit, yes.

his idea that us getting replaced by terminators is a good thing and that we gotta go fast to that destination right?

You forgot to include Ted Kaczkowski on the right

People will be able to enhance themselves but they will never be able to permanently upload their minds to a computer, they will just be killing themselves and leaving a computer program simulating their personality in their wake.

hello underato

transhumanism will not be taken seriously until prosthetics can become equal to or greater than normal limbs and we can figure out how to transfer our consciousness into a virtual space.

Till then its going to be a bunch of gay baby nerds forcing the singularity meme and body mod people shoving magnets under their skin

>transhumanism will not be taken seriously until prosthetics can become equal to or greater than normal limbs

humanity is an obstacle to be overcome
a lot of left posthumanists too

youtube.com/watch?v=vB_g-RSIGfM#t=04m26s

underrated

>facial tentacles gain popularity among teens throughout the greater NATO co-prosperity sphere

To be overcome by what?