What scientific discoveries and technological achievements are you most looking forward to...

What scientific discoveries and technological achievements are you most looking forward to, and approximately when do you expect them to occur?

Pls no meme answers like 'catgirls'

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictions_made_by_Ray_Kurzweil#2019
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Catgirls

I think new methods of data transfer and storage are coming that will make the current ones seem like dialup and floppy discs. Mostly I'm excited for this so that online multiplayer games can become more complex without lag being an issue. I'd say 3 years minimum, 10 max.

and catgirls

Biological weapons that would only hurt non-whites.
Hopefully very VERY soon.

Gynoids

A way of manufacturing carbon nanotubes with a decent length. I've no idea when (or even if) it'll happen.

Also catgirls.

Females are human garbage regardless if they're real or not.

I am very disappointed.

Carbon nanotube dildos.

head transplants 2017 (unlikely tho)
wireless enegy transmission 2040
electric airplanes 2050
fusion 2080
space mining 2100

gayyyyyyyy

What makes you think it will take until 2100 for space mining to happen?

Do you expect that the first instance of it will take place then, or it'll be a developed industry by then?

I'm expecting the first instance of it to occur in the next 15 years, provided Planetary Resources doesn't suffer some sort of severe mishap that leads to a drastic reduction in funding.

Let's set some realistic goals here.

we still have more than enough recyclable resources here on earth, we are just not capable of doing efficient conversions but technology will soon reach this level and we're good for the next 80 years imho. if we start spacemining while still having a society that produces waste, we did it wrong.

That list has a lot of red flags

Keyboards are never going away. Competent people can already type faster than they can think.

Voice and Gesture interfaces will mostly be used for convenience the way touchscreens are now.

Some bullets make quantitative claims about the cost and power of computation while others claim that both hardware and software will be fundamentally different

People continuously claim the teaching process will be vastly different in the future with no regard for their proposed system being compatible with basic human behavior.

Quantitative claims on how much of the human brain we will understand are always tricky

I give this list a 4/10. Not original and appears to have had little critical thought put into it.

Also I just realized that list is for 2019 not 2029 lol

Trying to predict the future is tricky business.

link?

Look out for melanin seeking missiles by 2020

Room temperature superconductors, >50yrs
- reason; construction of >100ghz CPUs
Massive improvements in battery tech, >50yrs
- Batteries are very useful, but they charge too slowly and are very expensive
5D glass crystal data storage becoming mainstream, 10-50y
- It doesn't degrade in normal room conditions and has an insane storage density
Neural uplink that gives us a 'telepathic' awareness of and control over technology around us, 50yr
- No explanation needed, this is basically a super power
Genetically modifying living humans safely/effectively, 50+years

Whoever wrote this is retarded.
>humans are in fact prohibited from driving on highways unassisted
Nigguh. I'll be surprised if lawmakers get around to permitting fully driverless cars drive on a highway before 2019, let alone banning humans from doing so.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictions_made_by_Ray_Kurzweil#2019

I would like to update my rating to a 2/10

A technology that transfers the human conscience completely into an electronic medium, ie uploading your consciousness to a virtual reality simulation type device, with the free-will to transfer your consciousness into a physical platform to explore the real world as well. For example, you have a simulated life on a physical server, but you can transfer your consciousness to an android / cyborg platform and live out your life in the real world as well, if you so choose. You could transfer your consciousness to a platform located, for example in the Grand Canyon, and physically explore and see it for yourself in person. Basically, human ascension beyond our physical / biological limits.

>Food will be assembled by nanomachines.

Holy shit nigga, who the fuck managed too estimate that? These lists are garbage.

>who the fuck managed too estimate that? These lists are garbage.
Ray Kurzweil, the flying-cars-and-hoverboards guy of the 21st century lol.

>Fusion
>Relativistic speeds on crewed space vessels
>Anti-ageing pills

Actually I'd like to add something to my list:
Manned FTL spacecraft, 500+ yrs

Biological Immortality. - 2035
Full Immersion VR w/ Waifus - 2035

Only a few of these I could see by 2019
A lot of these i don't want to happen (cameras EVERYWHERE)
These seem more reasonable for 2029 predictions

Reusable spacecraft launchers
Asteroid mining
MEMEdrive
Fusion (lol)

memedrive 2017

Stable fusion by 2030
Augmented reality 2040
Released viral hemorrhagic fever with influenza like mutation rate by 2100.

Authentic sexbots in all shapes and sizes - 2030

>asteroid memeing
wow

>tfw

wowe

so faiyefyes

wowe

so faiyefues

- Manipulation of gravity aka Alcubierre warpdrive (20-30y)

- Bio-artificial organs (5-10y)

-Perfect artificial leaf (5-10y)

wowe

so waiyefues

im making fun of u

u r rly ridiculus

so funi man

not taking u sriusli at all

even if u go to jakson hole

>technological achievements

EM conversion to gravity...2500?

>Trying to predict what will be happening in x year
>Not doing the far more reasonable and accurate goal of trying to predict what will be possible in x year

Humans are dumb so they aren't predictable by logic. People wouldn't trust a computer that makes less mistakes than a human as much as a human in a lot of settings. This cultural quirk might change, but it can just as easily not change for a long time.

Weaponising autism. Trump's election will seem like a hand grenade compared to the Tsar bomba once fully utilised.

I don't see any useful tech to be that we didn't already have long ago such as basic stuff.

Tech is only diversions, distractions, toys, gadgets and anti-social devices beyond this anyway (unless ignoring other people--and their reasonable expectations of civility and attention--and ignoring one's ever more dangerous surroundings is your idea of social or intelligent?).

Private vehicles rather than public trans or walking is an example. We have toxic car pollution and an economy/society based on the need for an ever increasing number of cars to be sold using an ever increasing need for infrastructure that is crumbling already and filled to the brim with corruption, incompetence and inadequacy.

We are so scr....

dogboys

I love Veeky Forums.

>We are so scr....

Ha-ha, he got abducted by Candlejack.

HAHAHAHAHA WHA--

Kill yourself that meme is as old as

Maybe by 2050.

>What scientific discoveries and technological achievements are you most looking forward to,
the ability to have genetic children with trans girls

>and approximately when do you expect them to occur?

Based.

Our society doesn't require us to make an ever increasing number of cars, and I think you'll find we had an economy and society working very well before we ever got to cars.

It's a bit closer than everything else in this thread, but I'm getting more and more psyched about JWST launching in 2018. The images from it might not be as visually stunning as from Hubble since it's mostly outside the visible spectrum, but the shit we could discover with it just blows my mind.

>Alcubierre warpdrive (20-30y)

I know this thread is supposed to be about hopeful optimism but that is downright delusion.

Sounds cool until said server gets hacked, and someone thinks it's funny to condemn your consciousness to a hell simulation for eternity

>condemn your consciousness to a hell simulation for eternity
There's a comic strip I've seen posted a few times that involves this...

>that pic
HNNGGGGGGGG

Affordable prostheses that have one hundred percent functionality. With the "affordable" bit making it really hard to say when. Not in my lifetime for certain though. I'm sure the functionality part is achievable in my life span, and progress is progress I suppose.

Besides that I can't say I'm hyped for any technology. Can't really see anything worth getting hyped about.

EMeme Drives and CRSPR CAS-9

City-scale colonies in free space.

I would fuck her so hard she has twins.

Waifubots

>moore's law goes kaput by 2020 at 5nm or 3nm
>CRISPR/CAS9 mass implementation on embryos by 2025.
>graphane transistors or other fuckery made to replace silicon by 2025
>First gen mini fusion reactors from skunk works by 2030 (getting slapped on everything from planes to factories)
>room temperature superconductors by 2030
>global wireless internet coverage by 2030
>huge jumps in computing as quantum computers become mainstream and the terahertz gap is passed in the 2030-2050 timeframe
>brain-computer interface and martix-esque VR by 2040
>mass automatization of all types of labour by 2040
>mass decentralization of the population as manufacturing and energy shrink in size and cost and work becomes more and more digital in the 2030-2070
>mass genetic compilation of hundreds of millions of samples make identifying beyond a reasonable doubt all heritable diseases and traits and their eradication by 2050 (also non-defect-riddled designer babies)
>effective slowing of or cure for aging by 2060
>sustainable colony on Mars with several thousand inhabitants by 2070
>asteroid mining by 2070 for rare earth elements
>replacing parts of the brain withouth killing you becomes feasable and people start drinking the transhumanfag kool aid by 2080
>real weak A.I. by 2080, research and control taken over by computers at this point as humans become useless hedonist slob NEETs spending 99% of their time in time diliated VR
>Strong A.I. invented by the weak A.I. by 2090
>here be singularityfags (unpredictable exponential growth)

>commercial fusion (2050)
>transhumanism (2060)
>immortality (2100)
>strong AI (2150)
>colonization of other star systems (2250)
>FTL and time travel (year 10^10^1500, random quantum fluctuations create a new universe in which the laws of physics allow for that shit)

This. Never change, guise.

Slowing, stopping then reversing aging
I expect real progress in five years, then it will take decades to perfect it

>I expect real progress in five years, then it will take decades to perfect it
In what direction? Telomere extension? Stem cell therapy?

Not bad. Except:

>effective slowing of aging by 2030
>real weak AI by 2030
>strong AI by 2040
>replacing parts of the brain by 2050

I'm in the minority on this board in not giving a shit about manned space exploration...machines have done and will continue to do the best job for the money. Once we start bringing VR equipped rovers on line across the solar system, we'll forget why we ever thought humans could compete...

Waifus of 2017

>Worldwide economic growth continued. There has not been a global economic collapse.

Lol

... now I can't think of anything but catgirls..

I find your derision of catgirls closed minded and short sighted, sir!

self regenerating failsafe data drives.

faster data transfer on wire and wireless and less bottlenecks on hardware.
basically like download the entire anime, movie, world library, in your house by 2040.

also we need free software (FOSS) and free hardware. anyone can print fabs and make production.

AI assisted livestock and farming.

Pure surveillance.

what i'm afraid of is 'backdoor' nanomachines added to anything that may go inside the body (fuck those occultists).
that shit scary af senpai.

also time travel is scary, i don't want future humans watching me typing this shit right now.

not really, I was thinking of a meme drug that would make you live 5% longer like metformin

we could make some progress on stem cells, telomeme extension and senescent cell clearance in animals though

One thing is for sure it will be a booming legitimate business in the coming years

>metformin
brb going to the drug store

I meant drugs proven to make humans live longer, metformin is currently on trial so don't hop on that shit yet

A bionic eye that doesn't just jam electrodes onto the retina but stimulates the retina neuron to neuron. I'm tired of this bullshit where electrodes grossly stimulate the retina and all a person can see are vague shapes and an outline. I want an electrode for every type of receptor on the retina connected to a low latency input device, and I want I/O to the bionic eyes themselves whereby the bionic eye outputs its current position to a computer and the computer inputs an image rendered based on that position.

There sure is a lot of 2030 life extension is going happen, going on in this thread.

it is often mentionned in the papers lately, not really surprising
we're obviously witnessing the start of a serious business, we'll see if it succeeds or miserably fail in the coming years

Good cancer treatments
Genetic engineering discoveries in general

yeah like 5 of these might happen the rest are horseshit.

Biological Immortality
Strong AI
Gene Therapy