Reminder that Jane Austen is one of the greatest writers in the history of the English language...

Reminder that Jane Austen is one of the greatest writers in the history of the English language, but Veeky Forums won't read her because she's a girl and girls are icky.

Daily reminder she was literally a NEET who died a virgin.

That just makes it even MORE baffling that Veeky Forums doesn't like her.

daily reminder that english authors are generally boring and shitty because that damned island has no culture

I won't read her because I hate writing that lacks aesthetic vigor and whose best quality is some overly safe and riddled satire of upper class life.

>overly safe
>lacks aesthetic vigor
>Invented free indirect style, invented an entire way of narrating.

That's pretty hot desu

also Veeky Forums should like her because nabokov liked her, deciding she was 'great' after reading mansfield park and teaching it in his courses (after previously dismissing all other female writers)
she has gay sex jokes

Change "island" to "language and the people who speak it"

Fuck off. She's nothing compared to either Virginia Woolf or most of the men in the English canon

nabakovs recommendations are meme tier

Nabokov hated her initially, but then later conceded that Mansfield Park is a masterpiece

Austen is my waifu

>girls are icky

true

what's she write about? how to clean the oven and fold bed sheets?

bantz

read northanger abbey

she's been ruined by costume dressup shows and LARPers, she's one of the funniest writers i've ever read

mansfield park is probably her most accomplished work

You'd be hard pressed to find a serious literary academic who didn't love or at least enjoy Austen.

I honestly think that Emma is one of the best novels written in the English language

I don't want to read about vaginas

Mansfield Park > Emma > Sense & Sensibility > Northanger Abbey > Pride & Prejudice > Persuasion

But OP I did read her and was bored to death.

Female writers are a bad meme.

>>That just makes it even MORE baffling that Veeky Forums doesn't like her.
no it does not. she regretted it. she did not do it on purpose. also a women who has no good sex regularly oozes her hysteria

Northanger Abbey is underrated.
People who dismiss Austen as "girly stuff" don't know she was taking the piss on her contemporaries.

>People who dismiss Austen as "girly stuff" don't know she was taking the piss on her contemporaries.

I honestly don't think many men under 25 or so age would be able to appreciate her writing. I certainly didn't when I first read her, and I wrote her off as girl marriage feelsy rubbish.

Even in my English class at uni most of the girls hated her.

Then, later, more mature, I experienced the fucking awesomeness of Austen. Some of the most legitimately witty writing ever, just brilliant stuff.

>she regretted it. she did not do it on purpose
Exactly.

Emily Brontë, on the other hand...