>imgur.com/a/90laS
>General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyliterature.com/author-interviews/marc-aramini/
my.mixtape.moe/rlmgmt.zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Wolfe
>no pleb edition

I am Legend was a legitimately awful piece of scifi. It read like an Arts Major had suddenly realised that science existed.

I liked it. Or just rather thought it was decent. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that didn't want to read post apocalypse after reading everything else, from Miller to Wolfe.
The final twist was dank and. Can't comment on the prose, read it shortly after finishing high school when I didn't pay much attention to that. The characters were not memorable.

>doesn't put sffg in the subject field
>people will not be able to find the thread

good
sffg needs to die

It gets worse and worse in here and outer Veeky Forums talks about sff now anyway

We still don't want to see any threads about your jordans and sandpersons

Neither do most of us in the thread, but these 10 fags don't want to move to reddit

>"Well," Shallan said to the captain, blushing but still eager to speak, "I was just thinking this: You say that my beauty coaxed the winds to deliver us to Kharbranth with haste. But wouldn't that imply that on other trips, my lack of beauty was to blame for us arriving late?"
>"Well...er..."
>"So in reality," Shallan said, "you're telling me I'm beautiful precisely one-sixth of the time."
>"Nonsense! Young miss, you're like a morning sunrise, you are!"
>"Like a sunrise? By that you mean entirely too crimson"-she pulled at her long red hair-"and prone to making men grouchy when they see me?"
>He laughed, and several of the sailors nearby joined in. "All right then," Captain Tozbek said, "you're like a flower."
>She grimaced. "I'm allergic to flowers."
>He raised an eyebrow.
>"No, really," she admitted. "I think they're quite captivating. But if you were to give me a bouquet, you'd soon find me in a fit so energetic that it would have you searching the walls for stray freckles I might have blown free with the force of my sneezes."
>"Well, be that true, I still say you're as pretty as a flower."
>"If I am, then young men my age must be afflicted with the same allergy-for they keep their distance from me noticeably." She winced. "Now, see, I told you this wasn't polite. Young women should not act in such an irritable way."

>The man pulling the machine was short and dark-skinned, with a wide smile and full lips. He gestured for Shallan to sit, and she did so with the modest grace her nurses had drilled into her. The driver asked her a question in a clipped, terse-sounding language she didn't recognize.
>"What was that?" she asked Yalb.
>"He wants to know if you'd like to be pulled the long way or the short way." Yalb scratched his head.
>"I'm not right sure what the difference is."
>"I suspect one takes longer," Shallan said.
>"Oh, you are a clever one." Yalb said something to the porter in that same clipped language, and the man responded.
>"The long way gives a good view of the city," Yalb said. "The short way goes straight up to the Conclave. Not many good views, he says. I guess he noticed you were new to the city."
>"Do I stand out that much?" Shallan asked, flushing.
>"Eh, no, of course not, Brightness."
>"And by that you mean that I'm as obvious as a wart on a queen's nose."
>Yalb laughed.

can't believe i fell for the meme. two chapters of fighting with no characterization worth a damn, then this autist

fucking DROPPED with the force of a thousand suns

>Reading anything by Sanderson for the characterization

>Reading anything by Sanderson

>555555
Wew.

fuck off sandperson

sexts confirm

sandersonfags pls go

The first mistake
How do people even enjoy that dry, drawn out prose and shit characters?

Same reason people enjoy old sci-fi with all the same vices

muh ideas

Old scifi is understandable because it's short. He is writing series longer than War and Peace.

Sanderson is light reading with fun world building. It's not meant to be thought provoking, it's the literary equivalent of Eight Legged Freaks.

hey guys, what's some really comfy scifi? something I can really chill out too?

You have to give a person more than that.

What do you like?

The last two Dune novels, Heretics and Chapterhouse, are among the comfiest sci fi reads I have ever had. They get a bad rep, but it's undeserved.

>mfw /sffg/ told me reading the entirety of The Wheel Of Time would fuck with my mental sanity
>I did not listen
>finish the series
>pick up Moby Dick which I left off six months ago to begin WoT
>the same book that I loved not half a year ago now seems utterly boring

It's like WoT has made me noticeably stupider and plebber.

Reading does affect you after all, and subjecting yourself to 13000 pages of drivel will do you no good.

Recommend me some high tier SFF to get back into fighting shape.

I loved Dying Earth. It's beautifully written and has a haunting atmosphere, with surprisingly well defined characters.

>82 normal posters
>out of that only 10 read Sanderson and Jordan
>only 10 likes Sanderson
>everyone else likes classic sff

Just because we aren't vocal doesn't mean agree with you. I like Sanderson but I don't discuss or recommend him, I'm sure there are others like me.

>redshit
Redshitor plz, stop pretending like you are a native e/lit/ist, when in fact you migrated from that cesspool of filth.

>I like Sanderson but I don't discuss or recommend him
same here

I mean, there's no way this is distinguishable from someone samefagging.

But I also like Sanderson.

>magical assholes with reality bending powers keep fucking your shit up
>just want to win so you can finally kill yourself and achieve oblivion

being aurang is suffering

>Spain sells cuba to the [U.S.].

I imagine Cuba would have been Hawaii West had not the sugar beet intervened. Although beets were even more deleterious to the Hawaiian sugar cane market, Cuba lacked the generations of New England missionary spawn to drive a new diversified economy (and appeal to Congress).

It was a russian political plot to cause unrest.
Germany jumps to protect spain's interest and to estabilish germanic dominance in the US congress,keeping them occupied,so the russians can rush the Austro-Hungarians who have no other allies.

I was remarking more on how whoever wrote it did a pretty good job predicting the future. Russia fell and Spain did cede interests to the U.S. The Germanocentric view would certainly have been valid in 1872 as Bismarck was at the height of his power. Were it not for Habsburgs, Budapest or Berlin might still have been directing Europe in 1950.

>*Hawaii East

Wayne is great. Fight me.

I just finished reading Blindsight after it was recommended in the last thread, and I gotta say, It was one of the most confusing things I've ever read.
Not so much the concept, but the storytelling, having multiple characters in one body who speak independently, often with no indication as to which one is speaking is confusing as fuck. Plus none of the characters are given even the smallest amount of description except Sarasti. I spent half the time trying to figure out who was who.

Not terrible but somebody needs to tell the author that exposition isn't always a bad thing, that's for sure.

Can we please just split a sci-fi thread out of this trainwreck and leave the Sanderson etc. memers to fight among themselves?

I have no problem with the "meme" of Gene Wolfe (which attracts very little shitposting compared to Sanderson), and I'm more than happy to put up with the "classic" fags if it means having a thread where 90% of the posts aren't completely off topic shitposts.

I'm really not trying to say this as a criticism, but do you maybe have Asperger's?

I don't see what you're getting at.

>Can we please just split a sci-fi thread out of this trainwreck and leave the Sanderson etc. memers to fight among themselves?
Yes. There was once a split for one thread and the results were great.

>Reading does affect you after all
Does that mean browsing this website affects me to? Because that would be pretty bad

It even predicted the cold war.
Part one is called "The eternal war"
While part two is called "The eternal peace"
The inventeon of the plane (it's a giant flying metal bird that no gun cam hurt in the book) results in warfare becoming obsolete.

You seem to be hung up on not having concrete distinctions, finding the more emotionally-based content of the novel "confusing."

It's fine to prefer one over the other, but I guess I'm just trying to say that some people found the storytelling of Blindsight to be quite artful.

In the realm of sci-fi specifically, there are a lot of books that focus on images and concepts over exploration of character, heightening of prose, subtext, and so on. More rarely a work can achieve both.

No, you're projecting. One of the multiple personalities is introduced out of nowhere having not been mentioned at all previously. It's perfectly normal to be confused in an instance like that.

>>magical assholes with reality bending powers keep fucking your shit up
>>just want to win so you can finally kill yourself and achieve oblivion

That is literally Ishamael/Moridin from WoT. Poor fucking guy couldn't catch a break.

Why does science fiction and fantasy have to be in the same thread anyways? I understand why publishing lumped the two together but not why Veeky Forums continues to comply with this.

>mfw Vance and Wolfe anons can still post in both threads

It does and it's bad unless you are careful about spergs and autism in front of others.
I have racist inclinations from shitposting, it's strange

>One of the multiple personalities is introduced out of nowhere having not been mentioned at all previously. It's perfectly normal to be confused in an instance like that.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

>you're projecting.
I'm really not trying to make this a criticism of your (or any one else's) literary values. I'm just saying "there's another way that some people look at it" and giving a few reasons why they do so. I'm sorry that comes across as "my opinion vs your opinion in combat."

>Why does science fiction and fantasy have to be in the same thread anyways?

Because -and I can't believe a Wolfe reader has somehow managed not to realize this- they are really the same thing.

You could almost make a stronger argument that sci-fi and westerns are the same thing.

To put it plainly, I understand where you are coming from, but sci-fi and fantasy aren't the only genres that share what they have in common.

So Moridin really was Ishamael resurrected or some shit? I know they kept hinting that's who he was but I thought it was going to be a bait and switch.

Or say, poetry and rap.

Anyhoo, there are clearly two groups in these threads who have next to no mutual interest in each other. Why not split along the obvious line? Two generals to talk about two genres in isn't unreasonable when outer Veeky Forums averages half a dozen threads on Pynchon or Wallace at any given moment in time.

And where did you get that statistic from? I like both, and I think most do.

>So Moridin really was Ishamael resurrected or some shit?

Yes he was. Jordan and Sanderson aren't exactly masters of subtlety.

Like both? Sure. Want to discuss both in the same thread at the same time? No.

I do. It's not exactly like the thread is moving fast, there's no problems at all with multiple discussions at once and much better than two dead threads (and having two tabs is also a pain).

>There aren't enough of us
Last time this came up the Sci-Fi thread died on the vine.
>It will antagonize outer Veeky Forums
They whine enough as it is, do you really want to go there?
>I'm a lazy tool
Having everything in one thread is just comfy. It's not like things move at all quickly.

Who the fuck are you quoting?

I started with number headings. Halfway through I switched to meme arrows without thinking. I didn't even notice how much of an abomination it was until you posted...

Well, I'm not going to agitate for a split but I don't see a compelling argument against it. Veeky Forums isn't a fast board so both threads would survive easily. I disagree that reading Sanderson/Jordan posts is interesting or convenient to someone reading science fiction. If I were still actively reading Jordan, I wouldn't want to read endless one-liner posts about Asimov.

>>It will antagonize outer Veeky Forums

Outer Veeky Forums, bless their hearts, are young pseudointellectuals. I could not care less about their opinions as they haven't formed any of their own yet.

>Last time this came up the Sci-Fi thread died on the vine.

Well, that at least is a valid argument.

I always wondered if his mental illness impaired his ability to write or was rather its source in the first place.

the latter I suspect

Fresh Aram posting
fantasyliterature.com/author-interviews/marc-aramini/

we need sanderson sundays or something. a weekday might be better but I'm a sucker for alliteration

>mfw people are still using my OC

Who made the Wolfe pepe? Because that man is a person whose artistic achievement surpassed Wolfe himself.

Not me, I only made the Absolutely Aram.

Also I have half a mind of beginning Long Sun. Should I do it?

If only to get to the Short Sun which was superb. New Sun was not bad and better retrospectively.

>One of the multiple personalities is introduced out of nowhere having not been mentioned at all previously.
Do you mean when the personality introduced by the aliens takes over and starts smashing stuff? Because that's meant to be a surprise.

>We are the race of lovers
What did he mean by this?

means he /d/indu nuffin

There is nothing wrong about genetically engineering monstrous shapeshifting dickgirls who are driven to orgasm merely by serving you.

If that earns you damnation the it's the gods who are wrong.

>There is nothing wrong about genetically engineering monstrous shapeshifting dickgirls
Well, it's gay

Not if they have feminine penises.

New thread:

Just stop. This is a nightmare. You linked this thread from that one ten minutes ago, and now you are linking back. Something horrible must happen to tripfags' brains.

I uploaded my Gene Wolfe ebook collection: my.mixtape.moe/rlmgmt.zip

It contains the following books:

A Borrowed Man
An Evil Guest
Castle of Days
Endangered Species
Epiphany of the Long Sun
Free Live Free
Home Fires
In Green's Jungles
Innocents Aboard: New Fantasy Stories
Litany of the Long Sun
On Blue's Waters
Pandora by Holly Hollander
Peace
Pirate Freedom
Return to the Whorl
Shadow & Claw
Soldier of Arete
Soldier of Sidon
Soldier of the Mist
Starwater Strains
Storeys from the Old Hotel
Strange Travelers: New Selected Stories
Sword & Citadel
The Best of Gene Wolfe: A Definitive Retrospective of His Finest Short Fiction
The Devil in a Forest
The Fifth Head of Cerberus: Three Novellas
The Island of Dr. Death and Other Stories and Other Stories
The Knight
The Land Across
The Sorcerer's House
The Urth of the New Sun
The Wizard
There Are Doors

Don't be upset, OP. Just put /sffg/ in the title next time and you won't get cucked by someone with basic posting skills.

>I'm just the messenger

ty based user

>Audiobookbay says 40 seeds for some old ass book
>0 (1)

e p i c

A few months ago some idiot split it.
Fantasy lived till 300 posts, sf died at 80.

In the end they started to post sf in the fantasy thread... we told them to scram but they stayed.
When a new thread was made it was sffg.

Yall sci-fi(only) fags are the most to complain. You are a minority in the general, yet you make the most noise.

90% of the time anyone complaining tirelessly about Sanderson, bakker, or any book for that matter it's always a sci-fi fag.

>bakker

"Well first off, you should know that I don’t write fantasy – only hacks write fantasy. My books are about the triumph of the human spirit which just happen to have everything you would find in The Wheel of Time."

>I spent 10 minutes looking for the digits
>congrats
>I revive this dead thread

How long must we wait until Peace Talks?

>90% of the time anyone complaining tirelessly about Sanderson, bakker, or any book for that matter it's always a sci-fi fag.
I'm one of your "sci-fi(only) fags" and I don't really see how that could be possible. Since I don't read that kind of stuff, I don't actually know anything about those authors outside of the fact that they are memes in this thread.

This thread has mostly been general purpose meta-complaining, which anyone can do regardless of what one reads, but even in the more on-topic incarnations of the general, I usually feel like the authors I read a lot of are mostly absent from the discussion, while it focuses on fantasy series I've never read and Gene Wolfe.
But maybe that is just the nature of a "general" thread that covers so much. Do fantasy-reading fags also tend to feel like their interests make up a minority of the thread?

Maybe the problem is just that we don't read enough or don't have enough to say about what we do read. I try to make a high quality post about any book I finish, but that usually amounts to about one good post per week, which is a tiny drop in the bucket considering we have a new thread pretty much every day. Even if the other few dozen regular posters here are doing that, we'd have a pretty low "signal to noise ratio," so maybe I'm just expecting too much.

>"And so what that I smoke pot?"

BRAVO

Please, please, let /sffg/ dies.

lmao nerd with pent up manlet rage having a sperg rant about some board on the interweb xD

Fantasy is more popular in SFFG, as you say. I wonder if it is an indication of a wider trend, where Game Of Thrones has increased readership.

It might also be the case that more SF books occupy outer /lit because a lot of its classics are widely accepted among the general readership. Bakker and Sanderson are rarely seen outside of SFFG.

Or are fantasy posters here just more vocal?

As an aside, the lack of horror content on the board is more interesting.

Did you see the lit confessions thread? I already had a hunch, cemented by that topic, that most people here barely read books. But my biggest bugbear RE posting quality is the number of frogposters and asinine questions. Do the mods bother, or are they unable? At any rate, an informed post, written well, is its own reward.

Scifi discussion is slower because there are fewer releases. Much like how farting into a tuba will get you rave reviews from Pitchfork, any idiot can go dictate a bunch of purple prose about sex ninjas or demon seed and get heralded as the next Tolkien, but scifi generally requires greater effort to write something worth reading (eg, natural, organic worldbuilding instead of the author showing off their STEM degree) and to understand it. (I'm of course referring to actual scifi ant not "fantasy with lasers")

Do you like Gene Wolfe?

delete this

He's one of those authors like Atwood who uses fantasy as a vehicle for a literary tale.

Horror is for kids.
No grown man indulges in horror. You must still be living out your childhood into your 30's.

Also, what has pepe done to you?

Horror and fantasy have an equal capacity for being juvenile or literary, as you well know mr baitposter. The only thing I could think is all their readers are on /x.

I read quite a bit actually but I make one post and leave it at that. No need to try and force discussion about something that literally nobody else has read.

As for frogposters, it's a very old meme by now (that only cross siters would use). I know that on /a/ it's a reportable offence but let's just say that reportable offences are less stringently administered on other boards and in any case these boards are so slow that low quality and off topic posts barely make any difference.

You should be able to report them and get them removed.

>we have a new thread pretty much every day.
>Even if the other few dozen regular posters here are doing that, we'd have a pretty low "signal to noise ratio," so maybe I'm just expecting too much.

You might be right but maybe it's worth a shot. Hell, this aborted thread and the /sffg/ are both alive with barely anything posted over there that would register on an EEG.

Please no Cthulu.

>read the first book of corum
>4 dollar at used book store
>literally was one of my favorite reads this year
>finished it in two short sessions

Jesus fucking christ Fantasy novels are fine if they're short. What the fuck do I even do now? Kill myself? That was my first moorcock and it blew my mind.

>Do fantasy-reading fags also tend to feel like their interests make up a minority of the thread?

Yes.

Everyone is constantly talking about authors I haven't read or won't read since they don't interest me, like the memes Bakker and Wolfe. Nobody hardly talks about books or series that feature a lot of magic that is often used except when asked to or when someone is memeing (barring Sanderson of course).
Everyone also has an obsession over
>muh patrician non pleb authors
and everyone not in that specific list is ridiculed, this is fucking fantasy for fucks sake, not some ancient book that would broader your horizons or enhance your world view, fantasy is read for pleasure, as an escapism to some extent, so I don't understand the dichotomy between super serioes and fun series or books

>tfw you will never be happy as a pupper again after reading pet cematary

>fantasy is read for pleasure
Speak for yourself