What controls torso length? (Racethread)

Specifically with respect to race, as whites have longer torsos than blacks, and Asians have equal/longer torsos to whites.

I've seen 5'8" Asian guys sit down and be as tall as 6'2" whites. I've seen 6'2" Asians sit down and tower over white in the area.

The usual answer I've seen is something to do with Allen's rule, because long legs dissipate heat, and whites and Asians are supposedly evolved for colder climates.

However, a long torso is also bad for heat retention. A wide, thick short torso would be ideal for it, along with short, thick legs.

However, most whites and Asian people have long thin torsos and short thin legs, so I don't think it has much to do with heat transfer.

Genetically oriented answers would be appreciated. And if it wasn't obvious, "Asians" refers to northeast Asians, and not Turks/Russians/Indians/Iranians.

Other urls found in this thread:

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1469-1809.1998.6240307.x/pdf
researchgate.net/profile/Brian_Richmond/publication/278851349_Body_mass_estimates_of_hominin_fossils_and_the_evolution_of_human_body_size/links/558aa21208ae13db28c6e40f.pdf?origin=publication_detail
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/race
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/ethnicity
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23684745
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

pump

I'm half latino half austrian, I'm far left: super short torso and looong extremities.

I've always been self conscious about that and tried to conceal my waistline because my legs are long thin sticks and almost end at my elbows.

It look ridiculous when I put my hands in my pockets or when I have to tuck my shirt in.

I'm an adult now and have come to terms with it as there are much worse deformations to be born with but maybe this helps you getting more comfortable with your on body, whats your torso/leg ratio OP?

Genetic differences are too small among humans to qualify any sort of categorization involving "race".

This study involves the genes responsible, at least partially, for torso length, based on ethnic categorization (NOT race, as race is a meaningless and ambiguous term when applied to humans)

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1469-1809.1998.6240307.x/pdf

Long legs increase running speed but reduce stability, idk why eurasians would be selected in the opposite direction to googles but that might have somethign to do with it. It might also be a simple founder effect.

>triggered by the word race
>c-call it ethnicity pls

how can i get 4+ inches taller without the painful surgery?

there has to be some sort of diet/exercise/supplement regimen

The paper doesn't mention torso height, just height in general.

Ethnicity and race are separate categorizations. Also, I was just helping the OP's search for the answer to this question.

Also, this study looks at how body size changed with human evolution
>researchgate.net/profile/Brian_Richmond/publication/278851349_Body_mass_estimates_of_hominin_fossils_and_the_evolution_of_human_body_size/links/558aa21208ae13db28c6e40f.pdf?origin=publication_detail

I know, and I'm sorry, couldn't find any specific studies on that

The word "race" is only used of human groups, it doesn't cover the same ground as ethnicity and it refers to something that certainly exists. There's no other word that does the job "race" does.

>en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/race
1.4Biology A population within a species that is distinct in some way, especially a subspecies:
‘people have killed so many tigers that two races are probably extinct’
1.5 (in non-technical use) each of the major divisions of living creatures:
‘a member of the human race’
‘the race of birds’

>en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/ethnicity
ethnicity
noun

[mass noun] The fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition:

Note how "human race" is employed as a non-technical term. It is not scientifically valid, while, say, races of tigers are.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23684745

>ethnicity
>common national or cultural tradition
>being this dense

Race is associated with biology, whereas ethnicity is associated with culture.

In biology, races are genetically distinct populations within the same species; they typically have relatively minor morphological and genetic differences. Though all humans belong to the same species (Homo sapiens), and even to the same sub-species (Homo sapiens sapiens), there are small genetic variations across the globe that engender diverse physical appearances, such as variations in skin color.

All of you are very dense.

Race exists, it's not the most meaningful thing, it's not at all dependent on physical traits.

Blue eyed Kalash are less genetically European than your average Arab.

You can theoretically be black and be 100% genetically European.

Race is meaningful, but why would you care about "whites" when you can distinguish between Finns, Italians, and Scots? Ethnicity is even more meaningful.

>Race is associated with biology, whereas ethnicity is associated with culture.
I know. My point was that race does not exist in humans.

>Though all humans belong to the same species (Homo sapiens), and even to the same sub-species (Homo sapiens sapiens), there are small genetic variations across the globe that engender diverse physical appearances, such as variations in skin color.
I know. And those differences are not great enough to warrant racial categorization.

>Race exists, it's not the most meaningful thing, it's not at all dependent on physical traits.
>Blue eyed Kalash are less genetically European than your average Arab.
>You can theoretically be black and be 100% genetically European.
>Race is meaningful, but why would you care about "whites" when you can distinguish between Finns, Italians, and Scots? Ethnicity is even more meaningful.
Those small genetic differences are not enough to warrant racial categorization. A species doesn't have to be 100% homogeneous for biologists to say "Okay, there's only one race here. No others." Humans can be, and are, different and still similar enough to not be biologically categorized into races.

Polite sage.

>I know. And those differences are not great enough to warrant racial categorization.
regardless of how you feel about it, it's the best word we have to describe those minor differences, unless you got a better word. and no, ethnicity doesn't cut it.

Well the spanish had this cool exercise they sometimes did. Actually I think it was more done to people, this cool guy named torquemada invented it. You can give that a look.

Not the person you're replying to but the point is, there aren't distinct genetic groups to warrant it. More complicated and subtle classifications needs to be (and already is I believe) employed. Not "lol lets classify an extremely mixed, mashed but not overly genetically varied species into 3-4 genetic groups and tack on some more arbitrarily but sometimes leave those one's out anyway". You could make up some races and they'd be as accurate as the current popular supposed groups. Races don't classify minor differences, they don't accurately classify anything at all.

Bump

>More complicated and subtle classifications needs to be (and already is I believe) employed.
what's the word then?

Love seeing kids regurgitate the cultural Marxist drivel that all fields of study have been coated with in academia. Race does not exist man! No such thing. To think so is racist.

>Races don't classify minor differences, they don't accurately classify anything at all.
patently false

not an argument
not an argument
>muh taxonomy nouns are better
This is a science board. Go spout wordplay on

Retarded

According to this thread, they just call it ethnicity now.
>decades down the line
>Ethnicity doesn't exist man! No such thing. To think so is ethnicist
>but then they realize that ethnicist is hard to say so everyone reverts to racist

so this is why sweede girls have short thick legs and long torso , hot af btw

But they don't have short thick legs, they have short thin ones. It disobeys allen's rule, so the body proportions are likely not dependent on heat retention. Which makes complete sense if you think about it, since humans are capable of wearing clothes.

Short legs, long torso gives you a much lower center of gravity, thus allowing you to cover far more distance over rough terrain.

I have short legs, long torso and my girlfriend is the opposite. We do a lot of running and hiking together. When it gets steep she is falling over every minute like a new born foal, whereas I am practically running.

She must have huge tits. I have long legs and short torso (white guy) and I can climb hills faster than most people. I don't have problems balancing on uneven ground. She's probably just clumsy.

Hmm interesting. Do you have muscly legs?

She has skinny legs, no bum, broad shoulders - so all top heavy

Im 5"11 and could probably wear close to a 28 pant length.

retarded

>girls have terrible balance
shocking

long torso short legs = farming background
long legs short torso = runner
runners iq

Enough nonsense about race you're all being unscientific believing these pol theories.

One thing to consider is that when they used to cut off little boys' balls off to keep their voices high (Castratos) they would grow very tall with oversized arms and legs.

This is because their estrogen levels went to zero so their epiphyseal plates never closed and their limbs could keep growing near indefinitely.

So basically my arms are long because I'm a low test beta (causes low est and slower closing of growth plates thus longer limbs).

Hey but at least it brought me to 6'1"

>farmers being more intelligent.
Go to sleep Gregor.