End of Semester

Another one of these.

Discuss how the semester went, post grades, ask and give advice for the new one.

Other urls found in this thread:

people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Here are mine for the fall, feel good about them.

However for my first two years of school I was kind of a piece of shit, and got poor grades. Only recently have I really decided I would like to pursue a PhD in Mathematics.

Does a significant improvement in grades look good on a grad school applications? I should be able to maintain similar grades for my final three semesters.

This spring I hope to apply for some undergraduate research programs, I worry that my low cumulative GPA will automatically cause my application to be ignored. Will strong faculty recommendations and personal statement be able to help me get in to at least one?

feels good

quadratic forms class: A-
haven't got my one other grade yet

>Grades curves
>no all-in 100% final exam
>sometime multple choice
>mostly just 15 credits/semester (''''FULLTIME''')
>muh 3.8 - 4.0 GPA

No wonder you 'Murricans are suffering from grade inflation. Your education is basically a meme.
Try gettin' a degree in the based EU.

You sound like your trying compensating for something.

Here we go again, brainlet yurocucks are mad again

You sound like you are the kind of person that are studying in the US.

But seriously. Just tired of all this grade-circlejerking when in fact it's not that hard to get such grades in the US. It's just tiresome to read people posts getting their hands hold in University about their easy-to-obtain grades.
Grade inflation statistics are a valid source and explaination.

But well, you get what you literally pay for in the US.

>not bringing up facts which are debilitate my points why their education is lacking

shut up he got sexts your argument is invalidated by default

DESU, grade inflation really only happens in top tier schools for some reason. Avg state U's(where most of Veeky Forums goes) don't inflate beyond giving the kid who should've gotten a D a C.

It's why people are more impressed by a 4.0 from penn state than a 3.0 from university of Pennsylvania.

You're right, grades don't matter. Education doesn't matter. What you do with it matters.

Post your CV.

Pretty happy

how much hours do you invest per subject in a semester approximately?

Got the grades of both semesters but who cares. It is all fun.

It was a good semester. Now I am finally a person capable of being a mathematician. Got all the logic, all the set theory, all the algebra and all the geometry to become a big man. I am really eager to start my second year where we start doing actual mathematics. Number theory, linear algebra, programming languages and physics all next semester.

It is gonna be fun. Would be perfect if not for the physics but hey, gay marriage was legalized so I don't mind getting myself involved with some homo topics.

With class time? 120 usually

Not counting the time I am inside a classroom I would say at least an hour per topic per week.

I don't study but I am kinda passionate about what I do and in every class you would get introduced to some new interesting problem you want to hit and I would do that almost randomly.

Last semester some days I woke up just wanting to do work some antiderivatives for Calc 2. Some other days while eating I would do problems for my foundations class to entertain myself.

Those things happen in small bursts of 20 minutes but added up and averaged I think they add to 1 hour per week per class.

btw I'm

Just wrote my calc 1 exam
Easiest 100% of my life.
(also if your final exam mark is higher than the weighted cumulative course + weighted final then they'll take your final exam grade)

Lmao fuck labs

Pretty happy with myself.

please take all discussion regarding university to /adv/

I'll be reporting this thread so it doesn't happen again, thanks

nice
nice
nice
heh
nice
nice
pitiful
nice
nice

wow thanks man

u should be

yet again

how do you study?

I just go to class and do homework. Then, I make formula sheets for the exams.

I get As and Bs, but I don't review for exams, and that hurts my grades.

I just don't know how to study for tests...

Ayyyyy

fug

>tfw all -A's

>Pass all the engineering classes
>Fail all math classes
>Not een real math classes

Why do people allow this? You are a waste of your university's time. I think universities should simply cram every mathematics requirement into the first semester of every major so that immediately people drop out.

Passing 4 courses and faling 1 or 2 gives the illusion of progress when in reality people not good at math never get good at math, so you will come back next semester to waste your money again passing more classes and repeating and failing your math classes.

I-I mean, we are all gonna make it. Math is not genetic. If you put in the hard work you can make it... ;^)

>Adv Engineering Mathematics
>The Physics of Music

kek

>Passing 4 courses and faling 1 or 2 gives the illusion of progress when in reality people not good at math never get good at math, so you will come back next semester to waste your money again passing more classes and repeating and failing your math classes.
>I-I mean, we are all gonna make it. Math is not genetic. If you put in the hard work you can make it... ;^)

Not him but I don't know whether you're sarcastic and mean your last sentence ironically nor not. People git gud by practise. I don't see why it's wasted money if people are more motivated next semester?

I mean it and I don't. Right now the thread is talking about a guy who failed his math requirements for 7 years in a row.

I am just saying, if you are not naturally good at mathematics then you are getting involved in a huge gamble. Are you able to learn mathematics? Or are you like the guy from that article who literally could not learn math after 7 years of repeating the same one course.

Are you willing to take that gamble?

I know that americans have to pay at least 10k per semester for college. Where I come from college is free so the gamble here only involves time but if that guy is american then he is gambling time AND thousands of dollars. I just hope he has a nice suicide plan if after 7 years he still hasn't passed his engineering mathematics course.

But I wish him luck. Good luck next year m8.

Yeh the music one was a gen. Ed I decided to take and Adv. Math was my uni's special way of saying "Diff. Eq."

Biopsychology A
Quantitative Methods in Psych B+
Developmental Psych B+

3.53 Decent for my first full semester back in 2 and a half years. I was wondering if you guys had any tips on not burning out the final week. I got solid A's on all my Developmental Psych tests but fucked up and turned in a paper 3 days late leaving me with the B+. Is there an easier way to crank out papers? Thanks guys

Is there a reason in particular why America dominates higher education then?

Is there a reason why the best in the world flock to American universities?

Is there a single university in your shit country even on the level of UC Berkeley? Lel get good senpai.

Semester ends today but I won't go to lessons because of laziness and work.
The lessons were a huge waste of time and I should haven't bothered following them if there was a good way to know what material was covered.
Grades will be average at best because I don't feel like studying.

I am My study habits are probably something I will need to change in the future but they have worked out so far.

Generally I begin to study about three days before the exam. I look through notes and the review topics if a professor has provided them, and write out new notes over and over again. Sometimes I make flashcards. I am sure to always do a proof out in full even if I think I know it.

ty

B in genetics, B in comparative embryology, A in organic chemistry II, A in biological communication, A in biochemistry. My wife gave birth to our son now Im stuck with three kids and I work full time as an orderly. The B in genetics and comparative embryology was a for sure B, shit was tough lots and lots of conceptual BS. Does anyone else have that kind of baggage, I'm not a stupid ass bitch who likes to complain but man its was rough.

Multivariable Calculus: A+
Linear Algebra: B
Organic chemistry I: B

I'm having about multivariable. Turned out to be pretty easy despite my shitty geometric intuition.

But linear algebra man. That class was very computational for the midterm, then 8/10 questions on the final were proofs. I have never had a course on proofs. The final rolled me. Average score was like 60%

How do I get better at it? I want to go into mathematics in applied science major. So I need to know some proof techniques

For learning about proof techniques you will probably take a course in that at some point, but here is the book we used in my introductory proof class:

people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/

Its great for self teaching and an interesting read.

If you'd like to learn more about Linear Algebra I'd recommend Shilov's book on the subject (available as an affordable Dover book), you will get more of the theoretical side there.

Holy fuck dem digits mmmmmn

tfw only learnt how to properly study/take notes by 2nd sem

What is an Academic Integrity course?

Just some dumb shit about general academic ethics, plagiarism etc

Sorry you had to go through that m8.

Anyways as far as learning how to study, better late than never. That also took me far too long to figure out.

that's some nice MATH you got there

Well this semester could have gone better, I didn't put in the required effort. Still my courseworks (for the modules that had them) mean that I'll be going into the exams in June with about 10%, not awful, not fantastic. But it's clear that next year I need to stay on top of my tutorial questions. Which should hopefully be easier since this semester I had this one continuously assessed module which took up an annoying amount of time.

Bro you in queens college?
Was your discrete math fucking pastore?

Just finished my first semester of uni with a 67% average. My end goal is to have a 70% average for the year. How do I boost my marks?

>americans have to pay at least 10k per semester for college
This is patently untrue. The entire cost of my education was a little bit above $10k.

Calculus III - A
Chemistry - AB (my uni's version of A- / B+)
Digital System Fundamentals - A
Intro to Philosophy - A

Pretty happy right now

>15 credits per semester

I'm in mechanical engineering, right now I'm taking 23 credits per semester.

Pretty aight. Didn't really need to study as much as usual, let me focus on my gf and extracurriculars, and kept my 4.0; should be getting into TBP and PTS next semester.

I failed my cal class. 7 classes with 3 being science/math is really hard, especially considering that two of these teachers give subjects that other teachers don't teach. My average in the 4 other courses is 95 but I still got buttfucked by my tranny cal teacher.

Welp, I guess this is my wake-up call. College isn't like high-school.

>7 classes
jesus, that's a lot

>Cell Biology - B+
>Microbiology - A
>Independent Study - A
>Calculus I - A-
>Computer Science I - A
How fucked am I Veeky Forums?