Today's Great American Novel

Is there any?

Stop using that term.

>is there any great American novels today?

The Corrects - Jonathan Franzen
Freedom - Jonathan Franzen
Taipei - Tao Lin
Purity - Jonathan Franzen

Anything by James Chapman

Franzen is our guy

If you want a book that "defines" the spirit/mentality of America, then its JR.

It's what America's really all about for sure. But pic related is more contemporary.

>1 star
>terrible
>The worst book I've ever read.

How is Franzen like? Never read him, and almost picked up purity the other day

Bourgeois faggot.

i want to eat those cookies hot and gooey with a fork and a big glass of ice cold milk while using that girl's mouth and throat like a fleshlight until i cum

i don't like franzen. low content-to-word/speed-density ratio. prose is unremarkable to me, but it seems to get praised. when he's in character thoughts it seems like he/the author talking to himself, and it's not very interesting talk, lots of redundancy and uninteresting reasoning-about. and what ive read (purity, corrections) just hasnt been engaging in general. also, little effective humor.

his meme-frequency on this board is commensurate with the quality of his stuff, ie not very high

but if youre in the mood for a big, mediocre, nondense contemporary novel, he might be your guy

Thank you, I probably won't read him.
For reference I was deeply unimpressed by Paul auster

Auster, at least at his best, is Joyce compared to Franzen. Neither is that impressive if you're looking for aesthetic prose though.

The fuck is your thumb doing

Stop trying to force this meme

Not him but it's called hitchhiker's thumb. I have it too and people usually freak out as like a party trick

The entire thread was a meme from the start.

This is spot-on

The upcoming 'Leaving Society' by Tao Lin

This once it gets published.

If there is, I haven't found it yet. Just above average stuff.

penis

>nowhere left evil finds itself the katana justice... to hide when outgunned by blade of

what did he mean by this?

Ironic post 8/8

He wasn't being ironic at all. Franzen is the definition of mediocrity.