Muh future

> be me, a very lost soul
> Can't decide if I want to major in ME or EE.
> Want to design and build robots.
> I also have dreamed of starting my own dynamics/R&D company, what would it take to do this?
Plz educate me.

Doesnt matter which you pick, but I'd say EE since it has more math. Either way you'll find that 60% of your courses won't be helpful for robotics, only a few in the beginning and at the end deal with relevant material.

Also if you take ME you'll have to learn some EE and vice versa. Basically it doesn't matter which path you take since Robotics = Mechatronics = ME+EE+CS

Is mechtronics a meme degree? Can I just get that instead?

"I want to build robots" is exactly the same meme as "mechatronics degree", so sure

Is it really a meme tho? Is it a shit career choice?

R & D? Physics. Now do some research ull c im right

yeah it's a meme because to make it non-meme the program would have be 6 years. So you should pick a normal ME or EE then in 3rd year you specialize and take courses that focus on robots, you'll see the two programs will share a few courses anyways.

Important stuff for robotics: control theory
Make sure you take that class or else you're gonna look silly trying to make your robot do things.

Fuck it, if u can phd in physics i'll throw out the belief in ur case cs should be self-taught-do a physics phd & a cs double major
physics circumvents chemistry
r & d? U sound like me a long time ago :) :) :)
We need r & d. Your phd thesis could b a fundamental science fact that u use to build an invention. Remember, if ur a researcher u have the first knowledge of a paradigm shift

Wtf is this? B8? K it's b8.

it sounds okay as an initial idea. try to keep your options open, and learn. after you learn some stuff, your outlook will probably change. start with either and take electives of the other, and choose

Soy serio=i am serious

Ya that's what my original plan was:
> B.S. in ME with emphasis in robotics
> M.S. in EE with emphasis on microcontrollers and smaller systems.
> PhD in ???? (CE maybe?)

>CS

You mean CpE.

Hijacking this thread. I've always been good at math and I was fascinated when we did electricity in physics class. Is EE good for me?

If u want r & d, choose at least a masters in physics, u could invent a new energy source. Try to get into harvard, mit, stanford, or cal tech
i'll say this: your aim is noble, though iv targeted the r&d, u doing that will potentially benefit me the most, bit robots could too
When i see a potential new path, i take it, perhaps you are the researcher to bring us to post-necessity era, post-space era....

Yes. My friend who is getting a Masters in EE majored in math before and he said that it's fine as long as you don't mind doing a lot of theoretical, Qmech, or signal analysis stuff.

No. There are 4 knowb fundamental forces: you must b too smart for ee. Choose appled physix if u must engineer
if i could go back in time, id have done physics, but ita too late 4 me
good tidings

It's I whose now hijacking thread. I want to inspire u: i am going to b an architect, and a welder, electrician, plumber, and a mason
we can trade our skilss one day
i'll teach u if u want. U can teach me if u want

You realise you will likely won't design anything (initially) and will just slightly develop a minuscule component of a component of a robot?

How can you become an Elon Musk of robotics where you have a team of engineers at your command? Should you rather study business than engineering for that?

Go for ME. I'm trying to eliminate competition in EE so I'm warding everyone off it.

Hijacking this thread. I've also had an interest in robotics & was trying to pick between CS, EE, and ME.

I've decided to go for CS as I find programming fun & it gives more options for employment but I'm still unsure.

Would CS be good if I wanted to get into robotics or am I better off picking between EE or ME?

My fear is that EE is not very employable given the current job market and while I like CS and ME equally I lean towards CS more because there are more job opportunities and the pay is equal if not higher.

It depends what you want to do with the robot..

You realize they have multiple people with multiple skillsets working on this shit right. They have programmers, electrical, mechanical.

ME and EE don't program and if you're picking a field based on money you're destined to be unhappy.

>I've decided to go for CS as I find programming fun & it gives more options for employment but I'm still unsure.

You can get a programming job easily with any STEM degree. CS gives you the LEAST options for employment.

I honestly like all three majors equally. The better pay and more job opportunities I see from CS is what makes me lean towards it.

I know they have multiple people working on the robot but out of all three, which is more in demand? Would they rather have a CS, an ME, or an EE major? Or are they all equal and it depends more on the company?

It sucks because while I want to be able to program the robot I would also like to help in designing it but I feel that with a degree in CS I would only be able to program it...

Yes.

At least do CompE. A typical CS guy is going to be way out of his league in robotics.

I was at first leaning towards EE but the BLS saying that there will practically be no job growth is what scared me away from it. Money is a big issue for me, sadly.

Is it easy to get a programming job with an EE degree if I minor in CS? Some of the companies around where I live have said they specifically want a degree in CS but I've never asked if EE would be okay. The thing is that if I major in EE I'd hate to work outside my actual field (CS is under EE but still...).

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking too. It seems like that's my best option. Thanks.

>if I minor in CS

You're better off majoring in EE and then getting a masters in CS.

No

That honestly seems like my best option to get into robotics as majoring in CS and then moving into a masters in EE feels impractical.

The big problem I have is that I don't have much money and I'm not too confident about getting a job with an EE degree after I graduate. CS jobs are readily available where I live. Money is a big factor into my decision but I still have some time to think things through. Anyways, thanks a lot for the suggestion.

I am majoring in EE. I would recommed you to take ME and take a lot of EE electives.
>Is EE good for me?
I am in my sophomore year and I am pretty happy. It requires more math than other engineer majors and if you are autistic it is a piece of cake
Computer engenieering might be a better option. A lot of programming and EE courses

>CS jobs are readily available where I live. Money is a big factor into my decision but I still have some time to think things through. Anyways, thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Usually you can get a CS job with a CE degree. Usually universities and advisors recommed CE over CS because it has a wider range of carrer paths.

Just start building them now.

You don't need an ME or EE degree to build a drone, its not like if the avionics fail and it crashes a pilot will die.

Just start tackling the problems now, build something novel and you will make money.

A piece of paper and a few years of doing calculus isn't going to make you any better than just starting to work at it on your own now.

Become a mechanical engineer. If you fucking hate real engineering, you can get your 4th class Power Engineering designation just for having your ME. So if you hate being a real engineer, you can go be an operator at a refinery or water treatment plant or something.

If you hate engineering why would you study to become an engineer? Imo its not one of those things you go into unless you have a passion for it.

>t. butthurt CS major