Why didn't Feynman realize CS is a meme?

Why didn't Feynman realize CS is a meme?

How does it make you feel Veeky Forums? AI that is much more powerful than humans could ever be will eventually take over all scientific research. Very funny, right?

I honestly thing complexity theory is a really interesting field. In my experience, however, most 'computer scientist' undergrads avoid it as much as possible and get as many programming credits as possible

Why would there be less to do in computer science because it's newer? If anything the opposite would be the case, and it is essentially. Basic research in physics has stagnated, while we are only just beginning to figure out the theory of computing.

never happening

I have a higher IQ than Feynman legit.
I'm still lazy as shit though and I failed most classes in high school. :D
Kill myself

>CS is a meme
>CS is new

starting with Claude Shannon's first paper on symbolic analysis of circuit switching, you realize that CS has strayed from being a branch of electrical engineering/materials science; transistors were just a material that had useful electrical properties, and the techniques Shannon were using weren't concerned initially for programming computers, they were for arranging telecommunication systems, and many of the equations commonly understood by elec. and telecom engineers have been forgotten by the derivative CS world and now you have issues in distributed computing that were solved by telegraph engineers over 100 years ago

I think CS would become less of meme if it stuck to its legacy of being a subset of material science, and with the rise of quantum computing where very little you learned in your classical algorithms class applies now, the role of the material aspect of CS becomes so much more prevalent. As a subset of quantum chemistry, nanotechnology is another field where this could turn out to be the case as well, and the possibly for CS to come in to contribute general theories of interaction would redeem the field from being stuck on optimizing systems (microchips) we figured out 60+ years ago

and again, if you regard CS as a field that is an interaction between material science and mathematical abstraction; the Aztec hydroengineers that built irrigation systems to meet distributed system demands were comput(ing) scientists, the old Chinese bureaucrats that devised efficient systems for organizing human computers for tax and crop analysis were computer scientists, the court Eunuchs of old who used game theory and social engineering to figure out which of the King's guests were spies were computer scientists; the material aspect is changing but computer science is only a new field in terms of formal, globalized methods and platforms

CS became a meme much later.

The problem is less that computer scientist undergrads avoid difficult or theoretical classes and more that universities simply don't offer enough of them. Ones that do get offered have a terrible attrition rate so the incentive to take them drops significantly.

It's mainly an issue of business interests that don't understand what they really want. They want to push job training onto the universities, but then realize that the students that come out are garbage at understanding the bigger picture.
Students that have a high theoretical background are garbage at programming, yet job training is supposed to be part of being a business, like getting a job at McDonalds before moving on to bigger and better things.

There's still an issue with calling modern computer science a meme: the people recognized as "real" computer scientists are the ones who graduated from rigorous programs requiring a variety of theoretical material.

The guy with the highest IQ in my country sells car stereos for a living. IQ means fuck all.

>now you have issues in distributed computing that were solved by telegraph engineers over 100 years ago

I've never heard of anything like this, can you elaborate?

Feynman was a pleb.

I hope one day he is forgotten and people stop going through their cringey entry-level phase of physics where they all love him.

>rigorous programs requiring a variety of theoretical material

These don't exist. Just because you did induction proof in algorithms doesn't mean it was "theoretical".

CS is not a meme.

CS degrees are meme.

>intelligent but lazy trust me!!!!!!!!!!!
Do indeed kill yourself

>I have a higher IQ than Feynman legit.
>I'm still lazy as shit though and I failed most classes in high school. :D
Please Consider the Following method of suicide

Nice argument.

I think your IQ is below, or barely above average.

>rise of quantum computing
topkek

>a freshman class is the hardest class CS majors take

The CS he refers to is the oldskool AI research.

>CS majors think data structures IS algorithms

Brainlets, brainlests everywhere.

What?