How come there's no Library of the UK publisher?

How come there's no Library of the UK publisher?

So many great writers consigned to shitty penguin paperbacks...

What's wrong with Penguin Books, lad?

When buying a book I always get the Penguin Books edition if there's one available.

I assume he's talking about the book as object--the binding, paper, etc.
Penguin has decent editors but they aren't exactly built to last

He probably wants hardcovers. Library of America is a good value most of the time, but the paper is basically the same thin crap used in bibles even if it's acid free. Yes they're hardcovers, but they're thrift store hardcovers.

>the same thin crap used in bibles

Bibles tend(ed) to hold up well, in my experience.

I like these editions--I'm reading the Dana volume now. I wouldn't subscribe for $25.95 per book, though. That's ridiculous.

Yeah, the paper is far too thin. You can see right through the page to text on the other side. Not a fan of Library of America. Pretty much avoid at all costs.

They would be too big if they used thicker paper, and I've never had a problem with the thin paper personally.

Terrible news: no book is going to last. There still plenty of time to convert to the supremacy of ebook readers

The thin paper is a feature, not a bug.

ebook readers will probably last for less time than a well made book.

Why are there still so many books from 200 years still intact then?

Maybe leather binding was built to last.

Wouldn't it be better to call it "Library of Europe"? to cover all bases.

There's the Cambridge editions. The Lawrence ones are godly.

The French already have the Pleiades Library. Don't know about the Germans.

Ridiculous prices. 90 bongbux per volume is insane. And each volume is significantly smaller than a LoA one.

As a 'Leave' voter, this triggered me.

Why? You won.

Everyman's Library editions are as good as it gets for mass consumer grade hardbacks.

Albatross Books,
They don't hold up so well.

Take care of your fucking books then

It's simple. Please don't bend the pages more than 90 degrees it ruins the book.

The bending angle doesn't influence the type of spine/binding, or the acid content of the paper.

this

LOA books are great. Just picked up a nice used set of the Federalist/Antifederalist papers

Because the British have no culture.