Why is nihilism is so popular with the kids?

why is nihilism is so popular with the kids?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dvmUTeZvl6I
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because it's correct.

but most of them believe in the wrong kind of nihilism

Because it's the disease of our time.

I don't speak with many kids about philosophical matters, can you describe the kind of nihilism that they believe in?

A better question is why is it unpopular with the grown-ups?

Because we killed God.

Nihilism is an outdated buzzword, negation of religious values implying that we cant find agreement on certain ethical or epistemic matters without something to believe in.

It's language game par excellence, invoking schemes that never existed to begin with in order to negate them and then crying "nuffin really matters" ad nausea.

Do people really not see how silly this is? I guess they don't.

Also what's up with this "make your own meaning" trope?

Meaning is dedcided by the communtiy.

Because most of them have grown up

which community?

Because it's simple, just like them

Sorry mate. I will not be trusting 'community' to determine my own meaning.

Speaking from personal experience nihilism as cognized by young ones tends to be a lazy and contrarian flavor of skepticism. It's supposed to elicit a "destructive affect" by questioning value and truth systems. The goal is to destroy the conceived authority/father figure and nothing else.

But of course no such thing follows from nihilism. You want to abolish religiously inspired morals (or simply relativize to such a degree that no one takes it "seriously")? It seems like you have a motive there. What do you want to replace it with? Surely the answer can't be "nothing"? Hopefully it becomes clear that some kind of ethics is inevitable.

So I don't think you do your intellect any justice by calling yourself a nihilist. Questioning and examining things is good but do it properly.

FPBP

Because most of them are deluded and brainwashed idiots.

Grown-ups have a lot of responsibilities and obligations and therefore they have to lie to themselves to muster the strength to get through the day.

Nihilism is a luxury in a sense, it's not compatible with playing the game like your average adult without breaking down. The game functions by delusion.

It's kind of like how peasants had to tell themselves that the meek will inherit the earth in order to keep on toiling for their lord.

>Nihilism is a luxury in a sense
A luxury you say?

But.. if I understood the usage of the word correctly aren't luxuries a good thing?

I think he means it's more of a consequence of luxury

The society we live in is created to beat you down and demoralize you till you have constant feelings of boredom and depression, which is then exploited by advertisements and marketing to warp you into a good consumer, of course the products you consume will never be good enough so these feelings never leave.
The absence of religion or a life philosophy exacerbates this materialism.

The stereotype.

implying religion doesn't do the same thing
>tfw you will never be as great as God
>you better be good in gods eyes or you won't get to heaven

You have to think about the history of religion, i agree that religion as of the modern day is a system of control, especially the Abrahamic ones.
One must have some sort of purpose or goal in life, otherwise they are empty, depressed, and without reason.

You see this even in modern atheism, its imitation of religion through organization and symbols.
One must use religion for ones own spiritual fulfillment, not as a way of control or for monetary value.

For all the fedora tipping, god has not been disproven.
One does not have to be organized to follow a religion,
One does not have to follow a mainstream religion, or even modern one.

The atheists also think they have a monopoly on science, when the occult and science where intertwined for centuries before secularism killed tradition.
Another thing people lack in this modern life.

Pol is currently worshiping the Egyptian god of chaos, kek

A luxury in the sense of most people not being able to 'afford' it. In the sense that sitting on your ass all day and not starving is a luxury.

You could also say a privilege. :^)

And it would be desirable to have this luxury as to have a better grasp of reality, Truth? Like you said in your first post, everything else is people telling lies to themselves right?

People can accept either truth or meaning. There is no meaning in truth and there is no truth in meaning.

You can delude yourself into thinking there is place for a hopeful narrative for your meatsack existence or accept you're a void dweller bound for nothingness. You just have to determine which you desire more, meaning or truth.

Depending on your personality and lifestyle truth might lead to a more agreeable life since you won't suffer the constant cognitive dissonance. But to others it might be more agreeable to double down on the lie.

>nothing in life matters
>thumbs up
>2 months later
>decide to leave your basement
>i don't c-care anymore
>here Chad have all my lunch money, nothing matters
>a-and Stacy, heh, but uhh.. wanna hang out sometime? ;)
>thumbs up

>chads
>not nihilists

picanto uno

interesting scenario that's never happened

What's up with the emotionally fueled words here? Who hurt you? Why do I have to be a meatsack void dweller? Why can't I be the most intelligent biological species to ever exist?

Arguing in favor of nihilism is pointless

arguing in favor of God is pointless. if you have true faith in God you have nothing to argue

Many religions put the onus of preaching and expanding the faith to others upon the practitioners

The only correct answer has no replies. We live in a godless world now, even though religion is still extremely powerful. This is Ivan Karamazov's dream world.

Also, nihilism isn't this bullshit. Nihilism is the negation of all programming whether it is cultural, spiritual, or biological. It is reveling in destroying these systems of control and the freedom of the man's ability to act.

The ultimate personal act of nihilism is suicide, the overthrow of the most primary biological function of self preservation. Mutually assured destruction via nuclear Armageddon is the nihilistic signal of mankind's supremacy. We have the capacity to not only destroy ourselves but our past and future. God is no longer capable of such a feat.

lol the onus huh?I put the anus to you mofuckrrs

faith isn't about telling people you have it, its bout following it to see if your faith is well placed

I was just trying to make a point by opposing my terminology to the normal feel good narratives people adhere to as much as I can. Less dramatic wording is also fine with me.

>Why can't I be the most intelligent biological species to ever exist?
This is possibly entering feel good narrative territory again though. The chance that humans are the most intelligent biological species to ever exist is quite small.

bc mom and dad dont like it

Holy shit this thread, a few fortune cookies in and young 20 year old kids think they can explain the whole world.

>nothing matters my man
>How do you know?
>if you werent such a fucking sheep you wudnt ask
>mfw

>the 'i'm above this but i still have to come here and say it' unironic shitpost

a classic

can you explain the world, smartass?!

I didn't know Veeky Forums didn't read Nietzsche.

Coulda guessed though

Prove nihilism.

>proving a negative

Not sure what you're talking about.
The punk kids follow Camus's nihilism.
Emos aren't a thing anymore. Of course there's always babies first existential crisis but only dweebs and weirdos get stuck in that phase.

Over all. What kids are nihilists?

Well there is no God so there is no truth. If there is no truth then everything is permitted. If everything is permitted then it is the ultimate expression of will to do the opposite of what is appropriate.

Marry whores and chastise the chaste my friends.

>positively being sure of that rule

shit nihilism

>Well there is no God so there is no truth.
There is a God so there is truth.

huh.

Is that true?

Pretty much. Read Descartes.

Not at all. I take it on faith.

Read Kant, asshole.

Oh fuck those two lines go together spiffingly.

Pretty fucking good post 10/10, blew me out of the water

>le prove that there isn't an invisible pink rhino in the room RIGHT NOW xD

Anti-realism is solipsism tier

>Not at all. I take it on faith.
Derp! Retard alert!

>he didn't Start With Descartes

well like, prove it at all. There is no reason to follow it if it's true, and there is even less reason to if it isn't.

>nothing matters
>Yeah ok I'm pretty sure having a full stomach matters as does having family and friends and reading some good fucking lit
>nuh-uh
>Why?
>those things don't really matter :3

Hey nihilists.

From nihilism nothing follows.

U mad?

>instincts are meaning

that's the point

>instincts aren't meaning

Meaning is nothing more than a personal interpretation of value attached to a specific event, action, thing, etc. Meaning is not decided be community, it exists only within the individual, despite its seeming ability to be shared. But no one share the same meaning, just their interpretation of a thing that is supposedly shared.

Also, I'm not clear on why it's important for things to 'mean' anything. It's something we attach to to our lives, it doesn't exist independently, yet we throw a depressed little shit fit if it isn't there.
"Woe is me, why doesn't my life have meaning?"
"Well why the fuck should it?"

You're right, if nihilism is correct there is no ethical obligation to act in a certain way or believe certain things and you are free to delude yourself into adhering to other worldviews.

The only problem is that depending on your personality and inherent desire to seek out truth, it might lead to enduring cognitive dissonance to stay in denial of nihilism and this may ultimately prove to cause you more discomfort than accepting nihilism.

Some people find their lives more agreeable accepting nihilism and some (most) people find life more agreeable denying nihilism and trying to believe in some sort of meaningful narrative. The problem is that nihilism can come back to bite you in the ass since that meaning is inevitably a house built on sand.

If you want to commit to some sort of meaningful narrative you have to weight the consequences of the rug being pulled out from under you at some point against the temporary comfort it provides. You also have to consider your talent for suspension of disbelief and consider if this is a lifelong effort you are capable of maintaining.

so what's the big problem with that discomfort?

How can I weigh the consequences if my narrative of that what makes me happy being worthy of achieving is yanked away from me?

Is Hedonism excempt from all this?

>so what's the big problem with that discomfort?
There's no big problem, just something I thought you might like to consider.

>How can I weigh the consequences if my narrative of that what makes me happy being worthy of achieving is yanked away from me?
I think the notion of happiness is already deep into hopeful feel good narrative territory. But you're right, it's hard to make any permanent decisions because arguably we never really quite know how delusional we are when we make decisions. If anything the idea that we are sort of free entities that make decisions is itself delusional. Some level of delusion is necessary for humans to function, the question is how much delusion one should accept, whether you should try to keep it minimal or just run with it.

>Is Hedonism excempt from all this?
Hedonism as an ideology in the sense that pleasure is the good and that we ought to maximise pleasure is not except from this of course. But without making it into a philosophical system I can personally say that I find discomfort disagreeable and tend to move away from it when I can, and I think most people have the same preference.

Can anyone explain the relationship between absurdism and nihilism to me?

Because it's not popular with the kids outside of the circle of 20 something upper middle class white people who dropped out of college and have the luxury of pretending nothing matters because they don't have to ever worry about actually succeeding in life because they have a modest safety net from their parents. These people are a very small minority in real life, but their omnipresence on the internet makes almost the whole thing unbearable.

reference: my brother and sister are both """"""""""nihilists"""""""""" despite not having ever read anything more challenging than a wikipedia article on any ideology and having a very tentative grasp on what the word nihilism even means

Antinomies!

Because the Sacred is dead.

God is a choice, love is a hobby, politics is a sport, art is a game, etc. The concept of God/Love/Beauty with a capital first letter is gone and there is no longer anything to replace it but the things we choose to believe in and, regardless of what you'll hear from intellectuals, if you choose to believe in something it is nowhere near as satisfying as just believing in it without a conscious decision.

Young people and "intellectuals" feel empty inside because they have no Sacred and, even though there's ISIS and all that, there's not even a great war to occupy their minds long enough to distract them. WWII was a uniting event in many people's minds at the time and even the next generation were consumed with its effects. Vietnam had the rebellion movement that took up the temporary mantle of the Sacred Cause, too. Once the 80s hit the trend began of emptiness, materialism, and nihilism. I'd even suggest that the initial boom of the internet in the 90s/early 2000s took up some of the Sacred's responsibilities.

Now there is nothing and people don't know what to do about it. They throw themselves into small causes like their unique gender identity, the racial issue, sexuality, etc. to give them both the feeling of being part of a cause and the individualism of their created labels to give themselves meaning but these things are temporary fads (as far as their participation) and they're already growing out of them. The widespread embrace of "nihilism" is just people without the Sacred accepting that they feel empty inside.

It's actually very, very sad.

The same reason reddit is.

Citation needed

college de sociologie?

After looking at the Wikipage for that, no, I don't think so. I just happened to use the word Sacred for it. Then again I haven't read any of those people so maybe their ideas are closer to mine than what that half-assed wiki page said.

Have you read them? Do they essentially discuss what I posted?

IMHO Absurdism sees people as creating meaning from nothing, Nihilism see's no meaning to create.

No one nowadays, beyond a few shut-ins, is a conscious nihilist.

Modern day nihilists are only COINCIDENTAL nihilists. They do not decide to become nihilists, nor are they necessarily aware that they are. Most normies don't even know what the fucking term means: confusing 'nihilism' and 'narcissism' all the time for example (whilst also being generally unaware of the latter term's meaning too).

What you call 'nihilists' are, in reality, bourgeois bohemians who take the philosophy of Aurelius to its most autistic ends. "Eat, drink and be merry" with a pinch of Matthew 6:34. Like dogs, and Laozi, people live evermore for the present now - which is why any grand designs, such as those that brought about (and maintained) Rome's thousand-year empire, are destined to fail in the hands of these Last Men.

Kids still have the feeling that they discovered something new and need to broadcast it to the world.
Old guys still know that it is correct, they just stopped giving a fuck about it.

I want a T-shirt that says "I believe in nihilism"

The only correct answer here.
Bonsoir.

>nothing matters

>There's no big problem, just something I thought you might like to consider.

how the fuck would I consider it, seeing as there is nothing to measure it against?

that's atheistic existentialism, absurdism doesn't have you create any meaning, the meaning emerges on its own through your human struggle against the nihil. You don't have a choice presented to you what meaning you want, the meaning is the struggle.

People creating meaning from nothing is existentialism where EVERYTHING is a choice presented to you.

the sacred doesn't have to be dead if we could just stop being lazy fucks

>there's no meaning
>but there's you
>no single desire or part of you is absolute, so every part can be overwritten with effort and skill
>the most general things you are drawn to is called happiness
>so achieve happiness
Is this the correct way to deal with nihilism?

Because our school systems are filled with relativism and post modernism which destroys their souls

youtube.com/watch?v=dvmUTeZvl6I

>Grown-ups have a lot of responsibilities and obligations and therefore they have to lie to themselves to muster the strength to get through the day.
What do you mean? How do they lie to them self?

This is absurd, most well-adjusted humans don't need somebody to prove to them that art or beauty matter.

>Camus's nihilism

the correct Nihilism then

Advanced Nihilism.

How do you mean there is nothing to measure it against? Why do you need some external set of values to measure your decisions against?

an internal set of values would be enough. What is considering other than weighing two options? And how do I weigh if there's no unit of measurement? It would be arbitrary, but then, if it were, it wouldn't always result in personal preference. So I'm still using my preference as a value.

Why do you assume an external set of value anyways?

All of them, it's just that to a modern secular person nihilism is their normal way of functioning, just like being a Christian in medieval Europe wasn't a choice you made.

Kids are fish and the nihilism is the water.

Thinking that death is special in any way is not very nihilistic

It isn't just death it's suicide. Killing yourself (not out of shame or any other acceptable reason) runs counter to all pre-existing culture.

Yeah, but why would you care about denying pre-existing culture?

It seems like your approach is that you need a conscious clear ideology as a sort of operating system to use to make decisions.

I don't think that's necessary. You can just wing it with your monkey brain without getting systematic about it.

Systemic thought came way later than thought itself. The idea of an orderly set of values upon which we can then act consistently and rationally upon is sort of an impossible ideal and a bit of a meme if you ask me.

the ideology doesn't need to be conscious, doesn't need to be clear, but what you are advocating here isn't leaving behind values, it's just banishing them to the more-or-less unconscious.

I'm not even mentioning that that in itself is an act of value, more importantly, what does that solve? The meaningful narrative isn't explicit anymore, that's just a *thing*, that's nothing, that's not even more or less 'agreeable to most', even though that already violates the paradigm of winging it, deciding conciously against the need for an orderly set of values that comes perfectly naturally.

Nihilism really does state that life is suffering. The argument for suicide isn't the point of nihilism it just follows from it.

The anti-culture stuff is edgy Russian nihilism. Basically you try to shock people who actually believe things by fervently believing in the opposite. Suicide is the final step to shock people but rarely does anyone follow through with it which is unfortunate.

why would you shock people?

For the lulz