Anyone else here AMS at Stony Brook?

Anyone else here AMS at Stony Brook?

I added AMS as a double with MAT. Gonna take 301 and 310 next semester. should be fun I hope

c-chris?

Yes, it's me, Chris! What's up my dude!

Who else /stupidretardrd/ here?

no but I know an AMS person named Chris. He's doubling with Physics though

>stony brook

>stony brook
Literally Virgin nerds: the school

Why am I not a virgin then ( ͡°ʖ ͡°) ?

I graduated in 2013 but I doubled CHE/AMS.

Not AMS (BCH here) but I wanted to participate because I'm lonely.

While I'm here, any of ya'll know anything about AMS 333 (Mathematical Biology)? Thinking about taking it sometime in the future.

How wild does AMS318 (Quantitative Finance) get?

COLUMBIA MAN MASTER RACE reporting in

Forgot you guys were even a real school kek

i hope it gets really wild, i want to go to quant grad school

Stony Brook was one of ten national universities awarded a National Science Foundation recognition award in 1998 for their integration of research and education. In 2001 it became a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), an invitation-only organization of the top research universities in the U.S., currently having 62 members.[43] In the last three years two Nobel Prizes were awarded to professors for their work conducted at Stony Brook.[43] The University has an annual $4.65 billion economic impact on the region.[27] Stony Brook co-manages Brookhaven National Laboratory through Brookhaven Science Associates, a 50-50 partnership with Battelle Memorial Institute.[44] Stony Brook is also one of two public schools in New York to have a medical school and a dental school, the other being University at Buffalo, The State University of New York.[45]

Like, okay, it's a state school but you're a dongle

How much of a meme is engineering here? I've heard it is and it isnt.

bio is the biggest meme desu but yeah lots of engys too.

For such a highly regarded school, they have some shit professors. Youre lucky if you get one good one a year. They're probably great researchers, but they don't know how to teach, and don't give a flying fuck so long as they're getting paid

Thinking about doing a PHD here in CS Theory or Math(Combinatorics), yes I acknowledge I'm a pleb compared to pure mathematicians.

Good idea? Or should I shoot for NYU or Columbia(reach schools).

Chemical is the biggest meme, but don't tell anyone, I need that accreditation.

I might do a paleontology masters there

Thinking of majoring in AMS, currently AOI CS but didn't enjoy cse114. How's the program as a whole and what are possible career options with AMS?

Whats better guys, Stony Brook or Binghamton. One of you guys should be made a flagship and get a shiton of funding so we actually have a top tier public uni in NY.

Stony Brook easy.

Stony Brook has one of the highest ranked math programs. It is more selective than both NYU and Columbia.

I'd say they're the same tier.

I had a professor who was a 1.5 on rate my professor and just came out with some really good research regarding proteins

He was actual shit though and was really bad at explaining things

Ualbany

Get out of here with your dumb shit

Literally nothing wrong ualbany

Isnt it a creeper school and well known for its Sexual Assaults?

Idk it's near the shit hole capital and the campus is huge, wouldn't be surprised if you found a bunch of weirdos just walk onto campus. There's literally no fucking security anywhere. There's not even any preventative measures for classrooms anyone can just walk in. Theres card readers for ID on the dorm doors but people tailgate into and out of it all the time.

All the facilities are old looking purely because of the structures they built so space is a little limited. Their chemistry department is not really up to date but they do have x-ray chromatography and an NMR. Their life sciences is top notch brand fucking new everything

For business or humanities, binghamton. For anything else, sbu.

United States merchant marine academy

david green?

I'm double major in eco so im going for finance industry

No hes really bad and only teaches Applied Calc 3 and brought his crying infant daugter in during a final supposedly.

I was referring to Kozakov

yea I was there during that final, it was easily the hardest test of my life.

I'm not even a brainlet, green went hard. His crying baby didn't help out either

>Yes, it's me, Chris! What's up my dude!

actuary, finance, stats shit (probably need a masters tho)

even if you didn't like 114, programming skills will probably be a very good thing to have

if you're going for stem then stony obs

no but i graduated in may w/ a physics degree

Courant is the best applied math school in the world, and Columbia is an Ivy. Both NYU and Columbia have better math programs than Stony Brook.
Stony Brook is not more selective. They don't even require the MGRE.

For math, Stony Brook. Overall, Binghamton.

What do I do if i went brainlet mode by accident this semester and got like a 2.06

Get a job at McDonalds. Nothing wrong with that, you just don't belong in academia.

No Im staying in college definitely

Courant's PhD program is top. Its masters is a joke cash cow.

Then you better get some good letters.

what about ubuffalo?

SBU physics PhD here

Surprised to see a thread about Stony Brook

Whats the worst thing youve ever seen while attending Stony Brook

MAT SBU student here to say that AMS is fake math
In all honesty does anyone else feel like SBU is just kind of a depressing place overall? There are so many closed foreign students here, everyone goes home and its overall just not very friendly. Math program isn't bad though, as long as you're not an idiot and take the hard classes offered early on

How do you make cool friends here? My roomate made friends and they're boring

UBUFFALO VS BINGHAMTON? I WANT TO BE A MONEY MACHINE ENGINEER

You're already off to a bad start if those are your only options.

They're not. I have a good GPA, extracurriculars, and a 34 on the ACT which I'm taking again. What school do you go to?

I joined one of the school's club teams to get involved and to get in shape, and some of the people I met in it are very smart and a lot of fun. A lot of people think we're retarded because of the shit we do in the dining halls to have fun

Some of the foreign students seem to have rudimentary english skills, and it just makes me sad how cliquey they are

Yeah ill probably join a club if I find the time to make some wild friends

Did you go to SPS?

Applied to many good state schools for my math PhD.
Stony Brook was one of them. Others: UIUC, Madison-Wisconsin, U of Michigan, UVA, UCLA, Berkeley.

I agree with you, but I'm taking some AMS classes to help me find a job after graduating.

And I commuted my first two semesters (transfer student), so I don't know how depressing weekend life is. I'll be living close to campus from now on when this semester starts so that'll give me a new fun (or depressing) view. I do feel like I've noticed a lot more depressed people with little confidence though.

I think Buffalo is the highest ranked SUNY for engineering.

And Binghamton isn't really known for STEM.

so choice is obvious

I was at SBU from 2009-2013, I went home every weekend, and hung out with my high school friends. I think I spent about ten minutes socializing at SBU outside of classes. Nobody wanted to talk to anybody, and I was just as guilty as the rest of them. I just spent all my free time studying, jacking off, and playing video games.

what do you do now? It's been 4 years.

PhD student at City College of New York

I'm this guy

Curious, why did you go to CUNY? It's not really that good, is it? NY has lots of well known schools... also by this time you must be almost done. What are your plans now, for after?

I didn't start until 2015 because I was trying and failing to have a regular career after I graduated, so I'm only 3 semesters in. I started in the masters program at the same school (CCNY) because I couldn't get an entry level chem job (entry level job listing: 3-5 years required? EVERY TIME) and I was hoping to use it as a resume pad. After a semester I applied to the PhD program because if I was in that, I would get a stipend, and I was accepted.

My GPA wasn't very high (about a 3.1 in chem and 3.5 in AMS, I wanted to do chem) so I didn't bother applying to any "good" schools like Columbia or NYU.

Also got into RPI but didn't want to live in the middle of nowhere, had enough of that at SBU.

We have a lower quality of undergrads at CUNY but in my experience the profs/graduate faculty are just as good. A lot of peopel want to live in NYC these days, so CUNY can pull some very highly regarded faculty. Many of the people I work with did their PhD or postdoc in places like MIT or Stanford.

But yeah, the undergrads at CCNY are shit. Not all of them, I TA'd a gen chem 2 lab and most of them were reasonably smart, and most of the ones who weren't at least gave an honest effort. I also had to grade exams and those were abysmal. I think it's more because they don't expect much, though. The exams I had at stony brook in general chemistry were a lot harder. Undergrads are worse at CCNY than SBU, but that's a bad metric for evaluating grad school/research potential.

Frankly I have no idea what my plans for after are, it depends on how the course of my research goes. I may just get my en-route masters and fuck off to industry without finishing the PhD, or maybe not... honestly I have no idea right now.

How much is your stipend? I can't imagine they'd give out enough money to actually live in NYC. Where do you get your groceries? How do you get around? Isn't it dangerous there? What kinds of things do you do in the city for fun?

25k, I live in the CUNY grad student housing/apartments in east harlem. It's not cheap (I pay 1480/month for a studio) but for the price, it's a pretty decent, clean, and new small apartment. An apartment like mine in the same neighborhood would probably cost 200$ more if it was on the open market. The neighborhood looks pretty dirty and ghetto but its gentrified and there are cops everywhere and most of the residents are just 4 feet tall mexican mothers carrying around their ten children, so I've never felt in danger (maybe a little at first but I quickly realized the feelings aren't really warranted). I walk around all the time. I take the bus to city college and walk back, since it's downhill on the way back. My parents pay my cell phone + groceries and help a little with money if I need. Just don't spend like an idiot. There's a regular grocery store like 3 blocks from my apartment. I like to take random walks around and explore the city for fun, sometimes my high school friends (half of them live in the city now, the rest still live an hour upstate) come to manhattan and we go eat, sit in a park, go to a bar, etc. Nothing too extreme.

The stipend isn't enough to live your whole life on. I'm spendin about 98% of what I bring in. But i'm not going to be on stipend forever, I will probably be able to get a real job when I'm done. 25k as a CAREER isn't enough to live in nyc, but 25k for a 5 year program that will lead to better employment is.

25k and east harlem... that sounds frightening in NYC to me, to be honest.

Nobody gets rich on a grad student stipend, it's enough to be reasonably comfortable in my building. If I thought I was going to be on 25k for fifteen years, I'd be frightened, but it's better than being unemployed...

the neighborhood isn't pretty, but I just mind my own business and nobody bothers me. It's not as bad as I feared when I first moved in