>Age
>Last 3 books you read
>Current occupation (if "Student", specify major)

I'll start.
>23
>Notes from Underground, Temple of the Golden Pavilion, Flowers of Evil
>Line Cook

Be sure to include your thoughts and opinions on each book. Otherwise it's just bragging.

>42
>Mein Kampf, Decline of the West, Art of the Deal
>truck driver

How was Decline of the West? Also, do you do long haul? My uncle was a truck driver and he did some crazy ass routes in northern Canada.

>24

>Cosmic Trigger by RAW: I think he's an hack; >republic by plato: i think i don't get it;
>hilarotragoedia by giorgio manganelli: a fascinating and oniric faux treatise about the acceptance of death

>dentistry student and pseud

The Tailor of Panama
The Hunter by Richard Stark
Gibbon's Decline and Fall

Database Administrator

The Other Side of the Mountain, Genesis, The Trouble With Being Born
Unemployed

>21

>Augustus, Autobiography of Red, Invisible Cities

>Carpenter/Mathematics Student

is this satire?

I feel like this is satire, why would he just happen to have read such prominent books so recently?

>he
did you just assume my gender?

>21
>Ulysses - James Joyce
A lot of it went straight over my head, but by the end I felt very close to Bloom and the last four chapters were very emotional.
>Schachnovelle (The Royal Game) - Stefan Zweig
Very entertaining read, but some horrible writing near the end kinda ruined it.
>Ficciones - Jorge Luis Borges
Pretty much what I expected. Lots of interesting ideas and parables, but some of the stories were the same metafictional wankery that's so pervasive in PoMo.
>Student (English)

>20
>Dune, Dao te Ching, the ego and it's own.
>student majoring in English

Anything but DB2, I'll even take 12c

>20
>Histories - Herodotus
Pretty entertaining, despite some of the digressions being not very agile or relevant. Some genuinely funny moments too.
>En el estado - Juan Benet
Benet's prose is always enjoyable, but this one novel managed to dazzle and tire me with tons of namedropping and dank references.
>El alcalde de Zalamea/La vida es sueño - Calderón de la Barca.
Fucking great, my first Calderón and already want to read more. Would thank suggestions.
>History student

>22
>Genki(japanese text book, i'm studying abroad rn)
>A Contract With God(taking an American graphic novels class)
>Pale Fire

>literary criticism graduate student

taking a year off to study in Japan. Only taking 1 regular class+2x Japanese language classes and a Japanese culture class/seminar.

what did you think of Tao te Ching?

>age
>Last three books
Brief Interviews With Hideous Men
100 Years of Solitude
Heart of Darkness (re-read)
>occupation
Head of Data Analysis/Entreprenurial Projects (did well in an internship with a fast growing small business)

>27
>Roadside picnic, LOTR, Storm of Steel
>IT

Did you like Brief Interviews? I loved it, especially the "Growing to think like an adult, husband with a sex addiction" bit.

>22
>Ulysses, Taming of the Shrew, Titus Andronicus
>English/Finance undergrad, writer

>22
>Waiting fo Godot,The Merchant of Venice, Richard III
>Student, majoring in English Literature, writing my dissertation

>Study in Japan
How much is it? Do you like it? How's dat nip pussi?

>27
>Purity, Deadeye Dick, Kafka on the Shore
>maintenance man/student

>24
>Brodie's Report - Borges, The Birth of Tragedy - Nietzsche, The Fellowship of the Ring - Tolkein
>Student (philosophy undergraduate)

>>Carpenter
Sounds comfy.

Clash of Kings
Quantum Break: Zero State
Departure

Business administrator

>20
>White Noise
>The Names
>End Zone

>Double major, English and Economics

Been storming through Delilo's works for class, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on him and/or his works.

Also, what advice to you have for someone who finally feels like they're starting to come into their own as a reader?

Mythology - hamilton
The forever war - halderman
The stars my destination - bester

Superintendent of construction

>translating the title

>27
>Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids by Kenzaburo Oe
>Shipwrecks by Akira Yoshimura
>A Collection of Haiku by Matsuo Basho

on a big Japanese kick

>I sell skateboards

Midlands, U.K.

Our Mutual Friend - enjoyed it and really am getting to love Dicken's sentimental tone. However it seems like as a writer he rarely approaches sorrow and tragedy for this reason. Can anyone recommend some real dark almost tragic Dickens? (Should I have just read Bleak House?)

Villette - A Brontë novel with an open-end that still feels conclusive - a great example of their work if you want to avoid overt romanticism and the dreaded moors (though not to say there isn't any courting). It's a shame the Brontës seem to get absolutely no mention on Veeky Forums (Then again neither do any Victorian novels.)

Dracula - This weirdly reminded me of a heist film - did anyone else get this vibe? A great gothic novel, though I prefer Frankenstein.

>20
>Bartleby, On War, The Idiot
>Finance Major, also work in the university library uploading old academic journals to a database

Enkheiridion, De vita beata, On the road
Phillosophy

I'm about halfway through! I'm enjoying it, but DFW's writing style doesn't entirely work for me. He goes on past the point being made sometimes.

Cleaner
Great expectations
Foundation
Epictetus discourses and selected writings

Whyd you reread HoD? I reread it as well because of Achebe's essay and I have to say I think he is correct on all accounts about the social context of the novel, tho I strongly disagree that any of what he identifies takes away from the value of the book. If anything the perspective of an unapologetic colonial is more valuable, and the novel itself is still beautifully written.

>19
>Naked Lunch, Suttree, Philadelphia Fire (by John Edgar Wideman, fantastic and experimental novel, would recommend)
>Writing/Philosophy student

>23
>EE student

>measuring the world
kind of amusing, like watching a sappy movie on a serious subject

>confederacy of dunces
one of the best things I've ever read. I cannot believe I didn't pick it up sooner.

>the three body problem
entertaining biopic of the chinese cultural revolution. its only like 10% sci-fi.

The Essential Schopenhauer
Symbols of Transformation, Carl Jung
History of Greek Art

Student, Architecture

>Haiku and skateboards
You seem like a cool dude.

The Confusions of Young Torless by Robert Musil
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence
Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas

Student: Joint B.A. in Classical Studies and History

hail fellow EE student. but im 20. it gets better right?

>The Knight by Gene Wolfe
>The Sound of Waves
>confessions of a Mask

is studying architecture really as cool as I think it is? seems like the most patrician field of study to be H.... but not sure if u could ever get a stable job

What was your opinion on the discourses?

>24
>Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5
Not really my kind of genre but he shows an interesting perspective on war and deep and often funny satirical insights of nazi germany. The detailed part of the bombardment of Dresden gave me feels man.
>Erich Fromm - The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness
Pretty based approach on why humans kill each other
>Simone de Beauvoir - Sitte und Sexus der Frau
Fuck women
>student Cultural Studies

moby dick
the use and abuse of art
the first philosophers: presocratics & sophists
audio engineer

white noise, doors of perception, digging up mother
lab technician for dental

I hope you already have no friends or gf as there is no way to keep up a social life at this point.

>21
>Myths from Mesopotamia, 1177BC, Dune
>Classics Major

it's good fun desu

>22
>The Aeneid, Notes from the underground, Nicomachean Ethics
>student, Civil Engineer

>27

>Hard Times by Dickens
>A Terrace in Rome by Pascal Quignard
>Prose Edda

>TA, test rater

>20

>great gabtsy (re reading had a slow week and enjoyed it more even the 2nd time),a portrait of an artist as a young man, also been devouring short stories of isacc clark and checkov

>student, music technology, history and philosophy

>inb4 pleb

ulysesses is a weird one, im irish and i attempted to read it when i was 15/16 didnt get it.

spent a year in dublin for college picked it up when i was 18 and i think i got some of the points and ideas. i atleast finished it and felt something afterwards.

i dunno though.

i agree with all of virginia woolf's criticisms of james joyce.
dubliners is a wonderful novel but the majority of his work is vastly overrated.

>17

>Frege: Philosophy of Language
> The Tunnel, Gass
> The Making of Americans, Stein

>Senior, hopefully going to major in Art History though

>19
>Iran: A People Interrupted (Hamid Dabashi)
>The Brothers Karamazov (re-read, apparently a better translation)
>À Rebours (Huysmans)
>Farsi language student/complete pseud

Iran: a people... is very good, the author fills it with smart allusions to Iranian cinema and poetry and it's readable, comprehensive and informative, only occasionally he flips his shit and says butthurt stuff like "an obscure Pakistani novelist named Salman Rushdie...was lauded by bourgeois Euro-American literati to cover for their endemic racism and Islamophobia". The guy's a postmodern wingnut but a damn good writer.

The new Karamazov translation (Volkhonsky) is better than the previous one I read, better prose and detailed historical footnotes.

À Rebours is like proto-Proust and reminds me a little of really detailed descriptions of day-to-day experience found in Sartre's Nausea. Fans of Baudelaire or Mallarmé should read it.

i think its ovverated just because it was so breakout.

no modernist novel has gotten the acclaim when it was first released as ulsyses did.

its like when you go to watch 2001. its overrated a bit shit and weird and dont make no sense and seems hamfisted or just doesent give you anything to even begin interpenetrating it, try hard and just not too stellar when compared to the well of work that has been made since, that has borrowed ideas from this break out ideas and expressions and just did it better.

>22
>Revolutionary Road / King Leary / Plato's Apology

First was unexpectedly good, perhaps a bit repetitive but suits my interests and came across sincerely.

King Leary was aight. Pretty simple, pretty short, nothing impressive but it was funny and entertaining.

Apology was interesting but requires a lot of historical context to fully appreciate.

>The Republic.
Taking a class on it right now. The title is actually a popularized mistranslation from Cicero, its more accurately translated as "The Constitution".

Its Socarate's ideal value systems, laws, orders, etc. His magnum Opus.

>23
>The Fountainhead
I read this one 6-7 years ago, and i found it amazing. After all this time its not really amazing at all. Fucking Dominique, the absolute emo, hates everything, does nothing.

>The Brothers Karamazov
It was not as good as C&P, still i would like to read the continuations if Dosto didn't die.

>The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat
Some of the cases were interesting, neurology made some progress between the years though.
>Medical Doctor

>27
>Propaganda, Bernays; Lolita & Despair, Nabakov
>NEET

King in yellow, the blade itself, sword of destiny
Artist

>21
>In search of lost time volume 4, The three musketeers, The Republic
>Architecture student

The Birth of Tragedy - Nietzsche

My man, just finished it as well.

>24
>The World as Will and Representation
>Confederacy of Dunces
>The Glass Bead Game
>physics grad student

?????
In what order should I read these: Atomized by Houellebecq, Beyond Good and Evil, Discipline and Punish
?????

>22
>The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, The New York Trilogy, Steppenwolf
>Major in industrial design, dropped out a few months ago

>27

On China
The Kingdom by the Sea
Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader: North Korea and the Kim Dynasty

Trading desk back office

>23
>The myth of the Andalusian paradise, Migration and Health, Shit magnet
>doctoral psych (Psy.D)

Edward Gibbon Wakefield in New Zealand (history)
Jimmy Joyce: Verse+Prose extracts
Earliest English Poems

Student (Accounting [Ifuckinghateit])

Read beyond good and evil last

>dubliners is a wonderful novel

>21
>The Master and Margarita, A Country Doctors Notebook,The Talented Mr Ripley
>Student who is pretty close to full blown alcoholism, majoring in psychology (kill me)

>Student who is pretty close to full blown alcoholism, majoring in psychology (kill me)
Do it now. Already half way through my dissertation and I'm genuinely going to kill myself. I miss undergrad, as shitty was it was. I was just like you and still am. I've had alcoholic hepatitis 3 times, 2 alcohol induced seizures, and two drug arrests.

>tfw when going to grad school or med school
>tfw in undergrad as research assistant studying cures to psychological erectile dysfunction

I hate my life. I fucking hate it. Schopenhauer was right about everything. I wish I could just buy crates of alcohol and spend the rest of my life inside my apartment with my rabbit.

just bee urselfs lads

Tried that, it got me nowhere. It would be better if I were not born. Time to read the World as Will and Representation.

>>tfw when going to grad school or med school
If you can manage to salvage enough hard science credit hours and enough physics knowledge to pass the MCAT, go to med school. DO NOT GO TO GRAD SCHOOL. I got into a doctoral program right after undergrad for psych. I've been stuck the last year spending hours every fucking day researching and writing robotic line after line about how high fat diets without tryptophan affect the mesolimbic system in mice. I'm on the precipice of suicide.

>med school

Yeah I have like no hard sciences. I have psychology statistical data analysis so some math there, 2 geology courses, and some basic bio. No chem, no physics. I dropped out of high school due to shit family. I don't even know how I managed to get into a top 40 university. Went to a CC for a year and a half and then transferred but was not expecting to get in. I might just hire a tutor to teach me chem and physics outside of university. I live in Canada and most med schools here don't even have hard science pre requisites (but require the MCAT) it's pretty interesting. We'll see. I would much rather go to med school. In an ideal world I would just be a regular physician. I feel like psychology and even psychiatry are full of complete hacks I wish I could have majored in astronomy.

You can always go to a carribean med school, they take almost anyone. I know the one in san juan takes students with a 2.4 GPA. I wish thats what I would've done. I was originally a premed student at Berkley but pussied out freshman year because of the math prerequisites and switched to psych. Did well, did clinical work, did well on the GREs, despite my drug addiction. Got into a good Psyd program. Slowly learned writing a dissertation is fucking awful. Realized I hated people too much to ever become a good clinical psychologist, but I was already too deep in the mud pit. You might be too. Even with a good MCAT score most med schools weigh your hard science credits pretty heavily.
You dug yourself into the exact same hole I dug myself into.

>You dug yourself into the exact same hole I dug myself into.

Damn. Fuck me. I've done my research though on Canadian med schools. Some don't weigh your science credits at all particularly schools like McMaster which don't even require any science courses or science sections of the MCAT only CARS. But they are fucking hard to get into. You are probably right and I am fucked. I might need to look at over seas schools. I don't fucking give a shit about money. If I could be a doctor in another country making like 50k I would be happier. I need something to dedicate my life to. I have an EU citizenship for what that's worth.

>27
>The Old Man and the Sea, Utopia, Investigations of a Dog
>Design Engineer

If you have the money, go to a carribean med school, they call them last chance medical schools for a reason. Theyre easy to get into, but not easy to graduate from. They expect you to know the hard sciences, so roll with the punches. Then get your MD. I dont know how it works in Canada but you can get your MD and residnetal yeats in the carribean and then simply take a few tests in the US to get licensed to practice. You'll be the laughing stock of whatever medical community youre surrounded with, but hey it's better than having your brains splattered all over your living room like a Jackson Pollack painting because you had to spend 4 years of your life writing a 150 page piece of peer reviewed trash that will be relegated to the ash tray of academia.

How did you find Forever War? It is honestly the one book that got me into reading sci fi but I've never been able to find anything that replicates how good it is.

>it's better than having your brains splattered all over your living room like a Jackson Pollack painting because you had to spend 4 years of your life writing a 150 page piece of peer reviewed trash that will be relegated to the ash tray of academia.

kek

Nearly choked on my gin laughing. I took a modern art elective once. What a stupid fucking waste of time that was.

But we'll see what happens. I think if I go to med school outside of Canada it will be Ireland or anywhere in Europe pretty much. One MD told me that if I decide to pursue medicine stay the fuck away from the Caribbean. Definitely need to stop being a pussy and start tackling the hard sciences though. I think that's my only shot at avoiding a self inflicted gun shot wound.

>19
>The Order of Things, Metamorphoses, Molloy Trilogy
>Student, majoring in EECS, work at a library

>Work at a library

You must have some fun stories to share. Any weird/interesting experiences? I don't work at a library but at 9pm when the library in downtown here was closing (massive building with multiple floors) I distinctly remember at like 8:57 PM as I was going down the escalator some faggot dressed in a black clock (with the hood on his head) carrying around some stupid HP Lovecraft book was lurking around the bookshelves with absolutely no intention to leave. I imagine the librarians had to deal with that bullshit.

>33
>Different Seasons (SK), Imajica (Clive Barker), Brothers K
>Manager at chemical company

Sorry, not Metamorphoses - Meditations. I started reading Metamorphoses but decided I should probably brush up on my mythology before I dive in further.

fuck cloak I'm drunk sorry

Well right now I work a lot with just filing and stuff, but when I first started working I dealt with people here more. I see many homeless people hanging out here, but I also see some students and the occasional character. Oh also a surprising number of people try to steal books. I can't really think of anything super interesting but for a while there were a group of overweight feminists that would come in here and sit and this table and pretend to be intellectuals and the shit they would say was just laughable.

Age;
>20

Last 3 books:
>War of the worlds by H.G.Wells
>Tragedy of Man by Imre Madách
>Canterbury tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

Majoring in History and Literature
Becoming a teacher.

>24
>Born To Run, The Alchemist, Things Fall Apart
>Project Manager for a construction company

>33
>carson mccullers - the heart is a lonely hunter
i loved it, all the characters were great and i enjoyed how sad and lonely it was
>venedikt yerofeev - moscow stations
i loved it, it's basically just a very funny russian alcoholic getting progressively drunker and drunker and rambling on about shit
>dimitri verhulst - madame verona comes down the hill
i loved it, it's a really nice and touching story told elegantly and it made my cry at one point
>mid level anonymous administrative drone

Myth of sisyphus, introduction into cryptography, chaos cryptography.
Video game development I know it's shit but i will change pathways i just didn't do well in maths to be able to get on anything better

>venedikt yerofeev - moscow stations
Wow, someone non-slavic has read it.
>it's basically just a very funny russian alcoholic getting progressively drunker and drunker and rambling on about shit
It's basically russian version of the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

>21
>the trial by kafka, disgrace by jm coetzee, the soft machine by burroughs
>student, geography major

>19
>the sorrows of young werther, the man who fell to earth (gonna see Lazarus in London soon) and beware of pity
>uni - biochemistry

>25
>The Idiot, The Myth of Sypphiliphusus, Crime and Punishment
>Student, Chemical Engineering

20, 21 in a week
Ethics and the Limits of Philosophy by Bernard Williams, Der Zauberberg by Thomas Mann, How to Read a Film by James Monaco
Philosophy Major

>27
>"So, anyway...", "Different Seasons", "I Sing The Body Electric!"
>For simplicity's sake I'll say warehouse worker

I'm in the middle of the road on it. The ending was lackluster. And just like halderman estimated, i didn't pick up on the vietnam allegory. I would recommend.

kek

>Age
>Last 3 books
Poetry and Truth - Goethe
Corazon tan blanco - Javier Marias
Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov
>Majoring
Industrial engineering

A Frolic of His Own
Travesty
Sweeney Astray

Law Student