Java hobby

I'm a math major who wants to do a bit of java in free time. Any book recommendation? I already finished course in C.

If possible, something written as calculus books with lots of examples and exercises. Im not looking for some fast forward mega fast learning tier. I would like words of experts. Pic unrelated. Also, not looking for online courses.

Other urls found in this thread:

trade.24option.com/24option/?lang=en#Trade
twitter.com/AnonBabble

take a good online course. if you already know a procedural language, learning another should be easy, except for the OOP part.

learning languages really isn't important, and it isn't hard. computing is much more than learning language, just like writing is much more than knowing a lot of languages

>Java

I'm really not interested in online courses, they go too fast trough things and examples are often to simple without any theoretical background. I prefer reading stuff while in bad, and when i get a hold of concept, I start programming.

I am doing it for fun. Don't see the need for that

there is no theoretical background for learning a language, that's what I'm trying to tell you. the simplistic, fast pace of online courses is all there is to learning a language

>fun

Java is one of the worst languages there are.

I don't see your point. Are you suggesting that I should take some other language? Why are you acting like this? If I wanted to learn python or c++ I would have chosen them. As I said, im not planing to work some serious job with it. It looked interesting and I wanted to give it a try.I suppose you are not programmer?

what are you trying to say with your pic? 0.1 isn't a power of 2, so you're going to get rounding errors in ANY language

sounds like you'd be better off learning something actually interesting, like algorithms desu

Oh ok. I was asking cause I remember Richie's C book from course which was pretty heavy and nice

And out all the languages you can pick, you pick java?

that book's a real jewel, and the only reason it can exist is because C is an elegant, simple, small, orthogonal language. with a monstruosity like Java you just have to learn how to work with what you have, instead of learning the language fully

Why do people always have need to guide others. I asked pretty simple question and I don't want to hear "Oh why dont you try this instead...?"

Dude, I promise you, if I find it boring I will stop learning it :)

that's what I get for being the only one trying to give you advice I guess. fuck off and kill yourself, learn to google shit.

NO. IM GOING TO FIND YOU AND FUCK YO ASS SDSDKSHDJKSHDFJKDJKFDJKGHKLDGBMBMBVVBDVBBSDSFFDFGJKHJKFDJKGHDJKG

Don't. Java is painfully bad. Go do some python instead

Seconding this. Python is actually useful for research too.

Can anyone tell me what programming language I should learn in order to create a website like this one:

trade.24option.com/24option/?lang=en#Trade

>Python
Shit tier language

Learn Go if you want something well planned or learn Mathematica programming if you want to make use of your math skills.

>/g/ memes about java everywhere

Java was my first programming language, and I learned it independently using Java Programming by Joyce Farrell. It's not terribly rigorous, but the exercises sections at the end of each chapter are golden. I'm pretty sure pic related edition is available for free online if you apply your Google fu. The book's pretty geared toward being babby's first programming language, though, so if not for anything else, just get this book for the exercises is has.

Happy programming. I do hope you go on to make many a shitpost at /g/dpt

I think you will like something like "Java: The Complete Reference". But honestly, it matters very little what book you use when learning a new language.

Wow shut up.

Start a project.

I used the book in the OP. Its okay can be a bit slow to start with but helped me understand OOP concepts.

just learn go, java is a mistake