Christmas dinner

>Christmas dinner
>Dad brings up Schrodinger's cat
>"Have you guys heard about this?"
>"user is smart, he has a Master's Degree in physics, user explain what Shrodinger's cat is"
>Say I haven't heard of it, that's a quantum thing and I study fluid mechanics
>Dad explains: "Oh, well Shrodinger's cat is this theory in quantum physics. Let's say you put a cat in a box with a vial of poison gas. When you open the top of the box, the vial breaks, and the cat dies. So technically speaking, the cat is both alive and dead until you open the box."
>Isn't that cool?
>mfw

Other urls found in this thread:

physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5572
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's what you get for not explaining it. Your family loves you and they want to hear you explain things you car about. No need to become so disgusted and awkward over something perfectly normal like this.

Haha

>mfw when a unqualified normie tries to sound smart by talking about quantum physics

nice blogpost

>teaching family calculus and boring them by rambling about wavefunction bullshit they wouldn't understand over dinner

This

kek'd

What a fucking normie, it isn't even a theory, it literally Shrodinger shitposting about QM and how retarded it is.

Most people who talk about Shrodinger's cat or post about it on social media literally think something like this though. For them, it's weird and sciencey and involves a cat, so they think it's cool, and probably don't even know what a wavefunction is.

Whatever, quantum shit is all theory and no application, basically fantasy so your dad is as right as any quantum physicist is about anything.

I bet they don't even know that a photon is a sine wave.

>mfw popsci faggot tries to explain Schrodinger's cat

You are socially inept. You don't need to get into the gritty details, retard. The point of the 'Schrodinger's cat' thought experiment is to illustrate that our understanding of quantum mechanics relies on statistical models that create funny and strange scenarios when we bring it to our scale in which we normally expect clear-cut causality.

You could honestly separate that explanation into smaller words and explain it to a 10 year old. I mean, not YOU, but a normal person could.

Fuckin' saved.

Yeah, he was shitposting about QM, calm down autismo.

>Literally the point of Schrodinger's cat is that it demonstrates why Quantum Mechanics is weird without math.

clearly schrodinger never meant for the thought experiment to be taken seriously
but then we get physicists believing in infinite alternate realities.

>masters in physics
>doesn't even know the fundamentals of quantum mechanics
kys op. your dad fucks your mom, Literally, you are hus little bitch. kek

The entire point of "quantum mechanics" as a field is that things are completely different at that scale which doesn't work at that level and vice versa.

I know, that's the point of what I said. You can easily point that out without rambling about wave functions and diff eq's. Read closer.

>damage control

If you can't explain it without teaching calculus first, you don't understand it. You're more of an idiot savant or trained monkey who can perform symbol manipulations without comprehending what he's doing.

>the point of Schrodinger's cat
The point of Schrodinger's cat is that the idea that superposition is a feature of reality, rather than an artifact of the model, is absurd.

You can disagree with this point all you like, but that's what it is. It was an argument presented by Schrodinger for this purpose and no other.

No. That's just wrong.

Topkek

Wasn't that whole thing made by Schrödinger to mock QA but ended up being true?

All hypothetical are lies, even if used for examples.

The cat and box and poison is a hypothetical with nonsensical boundaries. It is a lie like all other hypothetical situations.

Stop spreading this nonsense.

It does work at that level though. That is why they specify a radioactive decay trigger to the poison.

Schrodinger's Coin

>I flip a coin and, without looking at which way it lands, hide it in a box
>Since I don't observe the coin, it is in a quantum state of being both heads and tails at the same time
>ooooooooooooo

Dammit user, if you didn't wanted it to be explained badly, why didn't you do it? You really knew about it, so stop bitching about other people if you refuse to correct them

Dude I just want to eat my turkey dinner without having to give a free tutorial to my dumbass family (including my sister who watches infowars daily)

I hate normie faggots like you who think everyone has to be 100% social all the time and think I owe you some incredibly watered down explanation of already popsci phenomenon. Eat shit and die.

>i know all the physics I know from watching youtube channels and cosmos
FUCK OFF POPSCI NORMIE FAGGOT IF YOU CAN'T DO CALCULUS YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TALK ABOUT ANYBODY ELSE'S ABILITY IN PHYSICS PLEASE KILL YOURSELF POST HASTE

stop doing this, this is like the third thread I've seen you do this
you are really, really bad at distinguishing between a popsci faggot and someone abstracting out the details

You would at least have to explain how radioactive decay works.

I'm a theorist and this triggered me.

>can we have a discussion about E&M
>WOAH WOAH WOAH DUDE STOP WITH THE MATH MAN DON'T YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE TO USE MATH YOU LIKE DON'T UNDERSTAND IT MAN MY PROFESSOR GOES AND WRITES ALL THESE EQUATIONA ON THE BOARD BUT I DON'T THINK HE UNDERSTANDS IT LIKE I DO MAAAAAAN... I GOT LIKE AN INTUITION FOR IT *rips bong* *violently shits self*

no one disagrees that you need to be able to do the math, you retarded aspie
if you can only do the manipulations, and you can't explain them simply, then you don't know shit

>WOW DUDE LIKE IF YOU CAN'T EXPLAI QUANTUM PHYSICS TO A DOWN SYNDROME TARD LIKE ME AS IF YOU'RE MY SOCIAL WORKER THEN I GUESS ITS ALMOST LIKE YOU DIDNT KNOW ANYTHING AT ALL HAHA LOOKS LIKE I WIN AGAIN *shits self in smug self satisfaction*

Explain how to derive the Weyl Character Formula simply.

you sound like a freshman, honestly
when I talk about problems with serious people (including my advisor) I draw silly pictures and talk in terms of very high level, simple concepts

the only time I talk about nitty-gritty details is when I'm tutoring someone, usually a freshman or a slow student

Explain the hodge conjecture in 5 words or less without using math terms

I'm afraid I don't know representation theory yet. pick something from a standard undergrad curriculum and I'll try.

you usually need more words when explaining something simply, not less, especially if it's contrived

Divergence Theorem

>BRO LIKE IF YOU CANT TEACH REAL ANALYSIS TO A CHIMPANZEE ITS LIKE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THE INTERMEDIATE VALUE THEOREM BRO *slowly lets out a warm, wet fart that gargles and eventually erupts into a full force underwear caking*

when I explain the divergence theorem I usually do it in terms of FTC, assuming the listener knows that already. the idea is the same: if you start at a point, and apply, bit by bit, a rate of change to it (that is, the derivative of a function) then you finally are rebuilding the function itself, and how much you've moved the point is going to be that.

in the case of a volume (implicitly specialize to R^3 in the explanation) we not only need to keep track of a single point and the change in a line, but all the "change" that is contained in the whole volume. the "change" needs to go somewhere. a way to capture all of that change is by look what happens at the boundary: just like in the FTC we finish with only the initial and final points, the boundary of the line, we can look at the initial and final points of all lines contained in the volume at the same time, that is, the boundary of the solid itself.

to picture this, consider a sphere as the volume, and a field (the "change") that has a component only in one (say, the vertical) direction. then all we are doing is applying the FTC for each vertical line.

Not that guy but I'll give it a shot for the case where the target audience is not assumed to have any mathematical background.

Imagine you have a warehouse with many shelves and each shelf is filled with a certain amount of stuff.

The warehouse gets plenty of deliveries and shipments each day, so the amount of stuff on each shelf can change in complicated ways; for example 5 things can get added to shelf A, while the amount of things on shelf B decreases by 3.

But it is a simple accounting identity that if you add up these amounts for every shelf in the warehouse, and compare that against the total amount of stuff that came into the warehouse doors (adding up across all doors, if there's more than one) then the two are equal.

And that's the divergence theorem, though in other contexts it's also referred to as the "generalized Stokes's theorem" or the "fundamental theorem of exterior calculus".

I'm applying to grad school for next Fall. Holy shit I hope it's tards like you I'm competing against in interviews.

> Slam. Fucking. Dunk.

Protip: It's not, you're competing against the best people in the world and depending on your major, probably not Americans.

Good luck user.

Plus the way some schools make decisions is so fucked up it almost feels random. But if you have tits, you only have to be half as good as your male counterparts. Obviously I'm butthurt, but I think on some level most people feel this way.

>when they try to mix shit like feelings, relationship, and "good energy" with quantum mechanics
Quantum mechanic is much like magic to them.

>and probably don't even know what a wavefunction is
Like most people in this thread.

So what your goal is to be a poor man's mechanical engineer? How do you even have a masters without a half decent QM background

>Everyone is retarded but me

That's a bit self centered user.

I never claimed I know what a wavefunction is.

And I never claimed the opposite.

if you can't explain the concept of superposition without math then you're just a brainlet faggot OP

Nope. You can literally just point out the difference between clear relationships with causality, and a statistical model that yields probabilities until observed. It is actually that easy if you are not a sperg.

You're just making excuses because you're too socially inept to give an explanation of something simple and too dumb to even understand the concepts. Both of those aren't my fault, nor the fault of anyone else.

>popsci is a perfectly fine way to bring scientific knowledge to the masses
>there are people on Veeky Forums who will defend this

I find that most people are more delighted when they DON'T understand something and you explain it to them without treating them like kids. In situations like these feel free to dumb it down exactly as much as you want to to and not a modicum more while also using any technical terms you know they won't understand. They don't actually want to understand it, they want to make conversation, some of them want pretend they are intelligent and in good company with you, don't call them out on this.

Enjoy your meal.

>Be OP
>Haven't spoken all night at dinner
>Dad tries to get me involved
>Brings up a well known thought experiment that I've read about many times
>Pretend I don't know what it is LOL
>Dad fucks up the explanation
>WHY IS EVERYONE SO STUPID EXCEPT ME
>So instead of getting involved in the conversation, I came top Veeky Forums to shitpost about it

You're lucky your family gives a fuck about science, OP. When it comes up that I'm doing a PhD, but I can't even get past "CS" before they zone out.

>inb4 they zoned out because [insert CS insult] / [insert autism insult]

I would love the chance to discuss interesting results in physics. Of course it won't be rigorous, but its better than talking about how work is going folding shirts at Kohl's, now isn't it?

>Wasn't that whole thing made by Schrödinger to definitively debunk QA as a logical absurdity but ended up being taught in school as true?

Not having a formal education and not being intelligent are not the same thing you egomaniac.

>Talk to my dad about fillet radii
>he doesn't care
aboobooboo better go cry on sci

They don't have a very high linguistic intelligence, which makes us explain analitically the FENOMENA and decompose it, and trivialize its main points so starters or normal people understand the great POV.

That's why you faggots should learn basic arithmetics and algebra until you can explain it to a kid.

My mestizo brother literally was studying pre-uni stuff in the age of 15 already because I taught him knowing the basis completely.

Freshman year was a joke, and the 2nd is pretty easy.

Why don't you listen?

>Christmas dinner
>Dad brings up infinite sets
>"Have you guys heard about this?"
>"user is smart. he has a Master's degree in pure mathematics. user, explain what infinite sets are"
>Be excited, thank you dad for caring about the specifics of my field! Say: There is this axiom, usually called the axiom of infinity that says that there exists a set such that for every element, there is a "next" element inside the set. Sort of like the natural numbers, where you have 1 and then 1+1 and then 1+1+1, etc. But then because of other axioms like the axiom of union, which states that we can bundle up two sets together, we can use that starting infinite set and merge it with other sets, making more infinite sets. And then through powersets we can create an infinite set so big
that it is actually even bigger!
¨>Tear falls from my eye as I explain this, happy someone finally cares
>Dad then says: Hey son, and how was the transition surgery
>Say: W-what?
>Things start getting blurry
>I wake up
>I was sleeping, it was just a dream.
>No such Christmas Dinner ever happened. Actually, they didn't even invite me home for christmas
>Nobody cares about my infinite sets
>kms

You could explain this thought experiment to a layman in like 5 minutes if you actually understood what it was.
At least enough to satisfy their curiosity.

That means that you don't understand it yourself.

How long until someone comes up with a pop science degree?

So then don't get triggered when someone who just asked you to explain something can't explain it very well. How entitled can you be?

>X-mas dinner
>We're talking about the history of life on earth
>As a cool fact, I point out that the time period from the rise of the dinosaurs to their fall was longer than the time period from their fall to the present
>me: who knows how much longer they would have existed were it not for the Cretaceous extinction event?
>Dad: I don't think they would have been around for too much longer, I mean they were so big, that they were bound to die off if they got any bigger. If you get too big you eventually fail.

>I'm applying to grad school for next Fall.
I hope you're not a white male, for your own sake.
Because if you are you are about to get fucked so hard you won't be able to sit down for a week.

>oy bey da man be keepin' me down!

Might as well just trash your application before you start, with that attitude. Anyways, grad school is harder to get into for asians than Whites since they already over-saturate the market, so you really have no room to bitch...

Oh fuck off. I'm not a defeatist, but that doesn't mean I can't bitch about the system.

For a fun game take a read of this thread:
physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5572
and skip the demographic info in each post and just read the qualifications and then look at where they got in, then attempt to guess their demographic based on that.

Shh you're interfering with his /pol/ persecution complex

And you can fuck off, too. I don't go on /pol/ or subscribe to their ideology, but if you are the wrong race or gender your likelihood of acceptance at any particular school is greatly decreased. That's a fact and if I'm allowed to complain about anything then I'm allowed to complain about that. Even if we accept the premise that disparate acceptance rates are a good thing overall, it still just objectively sucks for a lot of people.

LOL holy shit I called it perfectly with the persecution complex huh?

Your post makes me think I could have typed anything and I would have gotten the same response. I think what I said was pretty reasonable, and you're just acting like an ass.

>the world is oppressing me because of my white skin, I have to be a non-brainlet to get into grad school ;_;
Grow up dude, go live in a country like Rhodesia and then see how much of a massive faggot you are being

Good strawman. Maybe next time you could greentext what I actually said.
I honestly don't know what you're even talking about with the Rhodesia thing. The implication appears to be that I can't complain about anything because I don't live in fucking Rhodesia. Is that what you're saying? Or is it specifically this issue? If so, then why?

>BAWWWWW

Yeah, that's what I figured. Good talk.

>Sitting down to Christmas Eve dinner
>Uncle says 'you're almost finished with your geology degree'
>'yeah, next semester'
>'did they teach you that climate change bullshit is just a theory right'

If my mother hadn't interrupted I would have lost my shit.

Go back

>let me tell you about your field

Those people are the worst.

>Christmas dinner
>Everyone raving over the mashed potatoes
>Aunt says "I'll need a second helping of those"
>Dad: "I could eat -1/12 helpings of those potatoes"
>Uncle: "Oh, you're on a diet?"
>Dad: "No, that's actually infinite helpings. user is smart, he's going for his PhD. in math. user, explain to everyone how the sum off all numbers is actually equal to -1/12."
>Say I've never heard that before, give him a weird look
>Dad explains: "Well, this Indian mathematician was trying to solve on of the Millenium prize problems, and he found that 1+2+3+4 and so on actually equals -1/12 when you get to infinity. Physics even confirms it."
>mfw

This happened.

Is it okay if i was saying the same things 3 years ago?

Don't talk shit on infowars faggot

t. brainlet

Alex Jones is a chronic liar and paranoid schizophrenic.
I'd say it's kind of funny to watch, but I would feel bad about making fun of the mentally ill.

I'm so sorry user

fuck off with your shitposting

>desperate to validate his son's genes
HERE GROUP, LOOK AT MY GLORIOUS OFFSPRING
happens to everyone, whether it be math or beauty makeup

You have to go back

>>>/reddit/

Your link is broken. Here's a working one

Guys stop. The conversation was over at my last post:
telling each other to just go somewhere else in an endless loop is just spamming the thread.

If you don't want to be told to go back to /pol/ over and over again, maybe you should go back to /pol/

Here, take this: