American Psycho themes, discuss

American Psycho themes, discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/international/international-book-news/article/69476-amazon-pulls-serial-killer-s-memoir.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

sparknotes it bby

Tfw no sparknotes for classic edgy book

no time gotta deliver some videotapes now

Is the movie adaptation tame compared to the book?

Catcher In The Rye II

in the movie does christian bale force a rat up into a woman's vagina through a tube and then proceed to cut her in half about the waist with a chainsaw?

Surface level existence.

Memetic culture. Everything repetitious, a circlejerk of everyone wanting to fit in, making everyone be like them.

The meaninglessness of much of the competition.

The emptiness of capitalism.

How capitalism has no outlets but consumption and things. Empty empty empty, consumption consumption consumption.

Cognitive dissonance. Thorough, constant, pervasive perversion of all things.

Appearance vs reality, WUT IS REAL.

Movie sequences were interesting, problems distinguishing reality from fantasy.

Nihilism. Solipsism.

Etc.

You forgot style, classy music, and good taste.

Excellent points, faggot.

However, I've found myself increasingly irritated with how often I buy food in restaurants, the labels I have clearly chased in the past, and I have been arbitrarily disgusted with people and things more in the time I read the book and the days after completion.

WHOLLY CONSTRUCTED IDENTITY. THESE THINGS MASK THE BEAST. THE BEAST IS THE CONCEPT, THE ALL-CONSUMING, THE CONSUMERISM, THE CAPITALISM, THE AMERICANISM.

THIS MACHINE WILL RUN UNTIL ALL IS BLACK, SPENT, ASHEN.

ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE.

You forgot THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Which is the best line in the book.

Two black guys are sitting with them at the table. Both sport faded jeans, T-shirts, and leather jackets. One has reflector sunglasses on, the other has a shaved head. Both are glaring at me. I stick out my hand at a crooked angle, trying to mimic a rapper. “Hey,” I say. “I’m fresh. The freshest, y’know… like, uh, def… the deffest.” I take a sip of champagne. “You know… def.”

To prove this I spot a black guy with dreadlocks and I walk up to him and exclaim “Rasta Man!” and hold out my hand, anticipating a high-five. But the nigger just stands there.

“I mean”—I cough—“Mon,” and then, with less enthusiasm, “We be, uh, jamming..”

HA!

I loved how he tried so hard to debase authentic Jews (the scene where he was refused a cheeseburger in the kosher deli) and to sell himself to authentic black people (the scene you described) and was rebuffed. I like that there were pockets of resistance to American consumerism/capitalism.

The book was, to me, a relatively nuanced allegory. I very much enjoyed it.

Because it's the last sentence?

kek, oh user

Nobody has mentioned the expected role of the male in society?

Bateman is specifically living a life of what he thinks he's supposed to be, the main thing being the "ideal man". He's successful, rich, primarily associates with other men socially, has an expensive and attractive girlfriend, has an attractive mistress who is dating a friend of his (securing the sharks in the water role on top of the virile male does not need monogamy role), buys sex, plays a detached and narcissistic role in the sexual act, rejects homosexual advances, etc etc

I know this is a fucking trigger phrase here but American Psycho is, on one level, a demonstrative critique of the male gender role.

Oh yeah, I misspelled last, that's what I mean. Thanks.

I want to have sex with your mouth.

Certainly. I've simply had no one to speak about this with, since I've graduated from school yet continue to read and associate with almost no one, socially.

So I'm forgetting things, and the things I'm remembering are fragmented and surreal. Much like the book.

what its other books from the perspective of psychos/killers?

Mein Kampf :^)

Pickton: In His Own Words is a memoir by a serial killer published under a pseudonym publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/international/international-book-news/article/69476-amazon-pulls-serial-killer-s-memoir.html

I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Bello Gallico :^)(^:

I'd like this answered. I could do a google search, much like you could've, but find the act to be exhausting, and would prefer to draw on passers by's brain banks.

The whitest book i have ever read.

It's shit.

You know that scene in the movie where he doesn't nail gun his secretary?

In the book it's an ex, not his secretary, and he does nail gun her. To the floor. Then he slices out her tounge and facefucks her until she dies. While he films it

Judge for yourself

You replied to me with a post that could easily have been written by me.

Weird, dude.