What would a film adaptation of Infinite Jest be like?

What would a film adaptation of Infinite Jest be like?

A movie written by Diablo Cody inspired by the tone of Little Miss Sunshine

It would have to be like 5 hours long, directed by Richard Linklater. I don't see how any young actors would be able to effectively play the Enfield Tennis kids

Really long. Not sure how the nonlinear aspect would transfer without seeming gimmicky. That stuff works best in text in my opinion

The film should be 24 hours long and then re-edited by Harvey Weinstein for commercial distribution

It could be a mini series...I don't think it would have to be that long considering at least a third of the book could be cut/wouldn't translate anyway. I think the hardest part would be keeping the ambiguities and intentional mysteries of IJ (for example, I would be annoyed if they explicitly showed if Joelle was deformed or not). The worse would be if it was some dour BBC or eDgY HBO adaptation, they'd need to get a good director.

Core story: the school-family dynamics, flashbacks to Himself/Joelle/Orin, Gates and the halfway house (cut out most of the one off addict stories or reduce to a ten minute cold open each episode), cut to the spies sometimes, don't explain any of the politics/history changes- leave them mostly in the background like in Children of Men, open with Hal at the interview, end the same as the book

It's pretty much a ghost story so I can't be that hard to pull off

how is it basically a ghost story?

a twelve hour new wave epic like out 1 noli me tangere

I'd like them to hype it up like they did the book and then do 'The Joke' on us for real.

Ironic

It'd be best as an anime.

I'm still curious.

well there is a ghost in it

this is the best way I can think of to capture the spirit of the book

>for example, I would be annoyed if they explicitly showed if Joelle was deformed or not
Her mother throws acid at her during a Thanks Giving Day after the father confessed to be sexually attracted to her. Then her mother kills herself. Read pages 784 to 795, again, you baka.

Let Darren Aronofsky direct in s16 film mostly handheld style.

A movie so entertaining no would be able to take their eyes from the screen

Would Charlie Kaufman be a good match for DFW?

haha the ghost of bad writing amirite someone laugh i waited like two hours to slam dunk this punchline

What would a film adaptation of Ulysses be like ?

Six Feet Under meets Ferris Buellers Day Off meets Dead Poets Society meets Wimbledon

It would be like Pulp Fiction, but double-feature

no he's trash

no he's even worse trash
hey dumbass I have read them
>believing Molly Notkin

I heard this book was pretentious and blindly believed, avoiding it

Was I misled

yes
pretentious is the word for 20th century books that are too long so people get intimidated and don't want to read them and then get further intimidated by those who have read them {and often the fans are annoying, with IJ at least ] so they have to degrade the work itself to feel better about themselves
see: all long "boring" 19th century novels

Fine, then - bathetic, or amateur, even
Is it really a thing I need to go grab from bookfi and read by Friday

no? why would you try to read ij in a week?
whether or not you personally want to read it or believe it to be a worthwhile thing to invest your time in doesn't have anything to do with it's quality or my opinion of it
the "plot" doesn't have a satisfying climax (but it's not without any answers) and dfw was prone to bullshit but that's not everything in ij

That's all I needed to know
To Barnes and Noble's I will go, go

The only way this can work it's if the movie it's like 7 and half hours long and there is a lot of changes from the book to the movie format. This would likely help and make worse the story in the same way that you can't truly adapt one medium to another, though the only person that would be capable on doing something great with the book it's the dead jew Stanley Kubrick and surprise, he is dead.

if you have no desire to read it, why would you? just do whatever man.

its probably just below top shelf kafka or pynchon for me

DFW made fun of Linklater at one of his readings on his 1996 book tour, and Ethan Hawke (who recently starred in a Linklater movie just prior to the book's release) attended that particular reading.

Do you know what DFW said about Linklater? Very curious.

It's been quite a while since I read infinite jest, were there any hints of her not beeing trustworthy?

so yes :^)

I don't recall exactly what he said, but it's documented in "Every Love Story is a Ghost Story" (the biography of DFW).

what?