Chemistry General

Hey Veeky Forums this is my personal lab that is provided for me at my job. It's pretty nice and gets the job done.

What is the chemistry side of Veeky Forums up to? Anyone here /jealous/ of this sick setup? What projects/research are you guys doing?

Way too narrow.

That's pretty sick.
I'm a military engineer in Brazil so I get to travel a lot. That's basically it for me.

dawg wheres ur fume hood

or maybe, just maybe, he is not a lardass american morbese hippoman

hes going to die of fumes and catch on fire

it is the life he chose

The window behind me

is there a fan to suck it out? otherwisze ur gunna die

There is a fan but to be honest The chemicals I use do not produce enough fumes in one sitting for it to be terribly dangerous.

I've claustrophobia.

Christ above, the teaching labs I work in to show idiot freshman how to do basic titrations are more advanced than that

You cannot possibly do much chemistry in there because there is no fume hood and a window does not count

Where the fuck is your organic/corrosive PPE? Do they even require you wear goggles in this cupboard?

And what the fuck, is that a kitchen sink? Do you even have a dedicated haz waste container?

Also also do you even segregate chems according to reactive properties bruh? Or do you leave conc acid solns and your peroxides sitting right next to each other, OUTSIDE OF ANY FUCKING SECONDARY CONTAINMENT??

I would rape your lab if I was inspecting that shit, the only thing you have done right is not storing chems above eye level.

Where the fuck is your eye wash station ? Or chemical shower? What is your protocol for cleaning up hazardous spills and do you have any kit for doing so assembled in a reasonably nearby area?

It's a locally owned small chemical engineering firm. They don't have the budget for anything more complex so this is what I have to work with. I use almost all of the chemicals on the shelf in the original Pic related to test the pH of all of the solutions, plenty of titrations, and exo/endothermic reaction tests to keep all of their levels correctly maintained. Yeh it's not complex but it's still pretty fun

The sink leads to buckets directly under the sink which are dumped in evap tanks to be properly disposed of

Nigger does your CEO even know what the EPA is

Yes we have eye wash stations and showers on sight within reasonable distance.

Yes I recently helped compile an application for wastewater and hazardous materials disposal for the local environmental agency for the company I work for

OK fair enough but I'm still mad about your chems in the corner without any sort of storage segregation or classifying colored tape and outside of secondary containers, buy some plastic god damn totes and stick shit in them

Well to answer this, they're all labeled with their respective identity and molarity, there are buffers and extras underneath in the cabinets. I'm familiar with the setup so it doesn't bother me.

This sort of reminded me that I probably should have an actual fume hood of sorts. I mentioned it to my boss and he said that if I wrote him a note then he'd get one installed soon because he has also noticed the same issue. Better safe now than sorry later.

It's not you being bothered that matters, the day your lab catches fire because of an electrical short when you're not there and those containers melt and chems mix under heat and explode while the fire fighters are clearing the room/building or produce deadly fumes it will be someone else's problem who knows nothing about your setup

Segregate and label according to corrosive, health hazard, flammable, oxidizer, pls dolan

FUK I get what you're saying user. Maybe I'll be able to organize some things soon, but I feel like a scenario like the one stated in your post may be inevitable whether or not their organized or not

They're*

This is true, bad things can still happen, however physical separation between chems which react dangerously does decrease the chance they will mix and increases the time and destruction required for that to occur, this can make the difference

We rekt several chem ed people quite hard recently for storing h2o2 and glacial fucking acetic acid in the same bin on the flammable cabinet. Right next to their butane canisters.

The chemist in charge of the lab is always knowledgeable and prepared, and then absolutely no one else is. Be afraid and careful for others more than yourself

>We rekt several Chem Ed people quite hard recently
Do you work for OSHA or someplace similar?

Also you're right. My grandfather always said to "keep your eye on the other guy" which surprisingly applies to a lot of situations.

No but I am responsible for laboratory inspections and EPA compliance for all labs at the university I work at under the chemistry department. I also teach some undergraduate chemistry and biochemistry labs.

The chem ed department is notorious for lax standards on damn near everything. Improper storage, lack of proper PPE and failure to use it when they have it, eating and storing food for human consumption in the fucking stockroom, etc. Why they don't take lab safety as seriously as regular chem and biochem people I'll never know.

Besides all the safety things going on that have already been mentioned:
Five S!
Tape off the locations of all your equipment and supplies!
Put pictures of what is supposed to be in those drawers and cabinets!

Yes, that is a real thing (the latest thing), people get fired for not toeing the line.

Right underneath the bottom edge of the pic is actually a chain that blocks entry to the lab. It's also in a room that is locked and only my boss and I have the key.

As for the pictures of equipment, that may be a good idea but for as small as the lab is, everything is pretty easy to find even for a newcomer.

Don't matter who has access or how small the lab is, Five S to rule us all!!!!!
F I hate people who have never worked in a lab dictating how one should be run.
As long as you look pretty we don't care if you actually get any work done, gotta look good for the audit.

Why do your squirt bottles look like swans

You basically have a high school chemistry lab.

Why.

My brother wants to study biology, eventually microbiology, and it's crossed his mind that he has to start learning some chemistry as well. Do you think this is a good idea? I advised him some books from the wiki. Are those outdated?

Chemistry applies to many different fields no matter what. I would always recommend learning a little chemistry for later.

who /research/ here

me

cool, what subject?

A combination of Raman microscopy and heterogeneous catalysis

I did some heterogeneous electrocatalysis over the summer, might go into that for my PhD

Why is that burette upside down?

maybe drying?

How does it dry any differently upside down?
I've never seen anyone do this

easier for shit to evaporate if stuff is dripping down and out rather than collecting at the stopcock my dude. just a guess though i'm not OP

qem?

>raman microscopey
ramen noodles under a microscope isn't science, edgelord.

OP here, and that is exactly why I do that

depressing

even more depressing is the fact that I know you probably make less than $15/hr

so about
glassware etc 300$
stirrer 100$ max look like old piece of shit more like 10$
chemicals can't read from here so no idea ?$
chair 15$

and that ridiculous sink - must be real fun to clean up

no fumehood no chemistry
sooooo .... you're doing rockpeople work as a chemist?

Holy F&*K
He has a bottle of Bleach and Caustic Beads on that tray.

That stirrer is also a heater.
Next to it is a Thermo handheld pH meter.
Don't forget the titration stands.
All the little thing add up surprisingly fast.