Steps to Write a Book

I want to write a book.

What are some tips.

How do you outline it.

Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

thegreatcourses.com/courses/the-art-of-storytelling-from-parents-to-professionals.html
youtu.be/f8I2V7vL4v0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i got dubs

Any information you might need is readily available through a google search.

The best advice is the simplest, and that is write. Just write and keep writing. Start working on your book and then revise whatever your write. Don't throw it away or quite because it sucks, if this is your first book its bound to suck in the beginning. Keeping a diary is also a good way to improve your writing and your ability to order your thoughts.

As for outlining, its just what it says on the tin. Outline what happens in the story in very basic terms (the plot), decide where the story happens and when (the setting), and decide who is a part of the story (the characters).

At this stage everything will seem shitty and 2D because you haven't actually written anything substantial. You may then begin fleshing everything out as you please.

These two things are not mutually exclusive. You may do them separate but simultaneously or one but not the other. It all depend on which is your preference.

But really the best thing you can do is stop stalling by asking shit like this on an anonymous image board and get off your ass and write.

Take your favorite story from non lit medium, write it from memory, change character/place names, and then pretend u are an editor, tear it to shreds in your mind and improve it

I wrote as I went along and went back to re-edit what I wrote for the day. It's very slow work and it altogether took me 3 years on-and-off, but it made the final edit a LOT easier.

This is my style though, some people find it easier sharting out a 500 page book and then editing it down to 250 or something. Test it out on a 50 page short story and see what works for you OP.

>final edit
published?

I just get a general outline in my head.

Then I have a simple txt file that I writes notes down in, dialog scenes, themes, ideas and specific stuff. I don't put it in any real order, don't organize much of anything.

Experiment.

Start with general bulletin points regarding the premise, characters, setting, themes, etc. If you think of any scenes, get them down too so you won't forget. I've found it easier to come up with the end first and let the rest develop from there.

This is somewhat optional, but you can break it down by chapters and come up with brief initial ideas for what happens in each one too (a couple of sentences to a paragraph, maybe even less if you're just starting the project). Even if you decide to scrap or significantly alter them later, having the structure in place will give you a better idea of where you'll want to go with the whole thing and how to get there.

Others have made good points, but make sure you read a lot too. If you don't read, you can't write.

Try not to look back while you're writing, because it might discourage you at first. If you think your writing is shit after sitting on it for a while, maybe your tastes have improved since then, and since you can tell it's shit, you're making progress, and at least you know what's good and what's not.

There'll come a time after a couple years (or whatever, depending on how fast you learn), where you'll be good, but not great. Maybe you'll write good schlock, but every once in a while if you need motivation, launch up amazon and look at the first couple pages of a John Green or Dan Brown novel and realize how far you've come.

tudy Narratology

Narratology
narratology.info/narratology/

Narratology is the study of the forms, structures, media, functions, and evolution of narrative, with a special emphasis on Story.

On one end of the narrative spectrum lies a mere representational sequence of events that may or may not have a beginning, middle, and end (an Arc). At the opposite end lies Story, with an Arc, an indivisible and universal structural pattern called a Narreme, and meaning over and beyond the mere representational (a Theme).

Story = Arc+Narreme+Theme

General Introduction to Narratology
cla.purdue.edu/english/theory/narratology/modules/introduction.html

NARRATOLOGY EXAMINES THE WAYS that narrative structures our perception of both cultural artifacts and the world around us. The study of narrative is particularly important since our ordering of time and space in narrative forms constitutes one of the primary ways we construct meaning in general.

Notes on Narratology

units.muohio.edu/technologyandhumanities/narratology.htm

Bringing it All Together Into a Story

onlinemedia.rmcad.edu/AN1110/html/Week-8_Presentation%208.1.html

The Art of Storytelling

thegreatcourses.com/courses/the-art-of-storytelling-from-parents-to-professionals.html

Dr. Hannah B. Harvey is an award-winning professor, an internationally recognized performer, and a nationally known professional storyteller.

There are many reasons we relate and respond to stories

Professor Harvey calls the act of creating a story performance an “alchemical process” that involves an interconnected cycle of talking, writing, imaging, playing, and rehearsing

is this actually a good series?

I like the great courses

Why People Need Stories | The Great Courses

youtu.be/f8I2V7vL4v0

Do it wrong for four years, then maybe think you're doing it right.

Write your novel out on note cards and tape them to the walls of your home.

Beginning. Middle. End.

You're welcome.

Find a method that works for you, then use that.

>Hannah B. Harvey
I had her as my professor/tutor when I was studying narratology about ten years ago, before she wrote the book. Great teacher, very perceptive, and a bit of a hottie to boot.

1. start keeping a diary. This is a good way to get yourself writing.

2. have a separate journal document for ideas. Fill it with thoughts you have. Everything from aphorisms to high quality Veeky Forums shitposts. You can include ideas you steal from other people. Go through some aphoristic authors like Nietzsche or Chesterton, aphorisms often beg a fledgling writer to take up their cause.

3. When you're starting the book, mine your journal and diary for ideas and themes you want to tackle.

4. When you're writing, create a character document that describes every character, what they're like and where they're going in a general sense. Very brief, no more than a page per character, if you're going to use it well it has to be short.

5. Write your plot. A very rough take on it, as if you were telling the story verbally in a very casual fashion. Include the primary themes of the story.

6. When writing, refer to these outlining documents you've created and when you're rereading your work, cut out segments that don't fit well within either the character or the plot framework and put them in a clipping document. Make a note of where it originally was, page number or relative to other events. At the end of every session I read back through it with the character and plot outlines in mind, then take out any superfluous stuff. Any secondary plots, any thoughts or dialogues that do not contribute to a character or plot developing in the direction you have planned. Avoid CONSTANTLY backtracking, move forward and then when you're about to finish writing for the day, then you go back and read a bit.

7. Eventually you'll have a very bare bones rough draft. Read this through a few times. Have other people you trust and who have good taste read it and give feedback. Don't start editing just yet.

8. When rereading you will probably notice that some of the places you ripped shit out of feel barren. Start re-inserting your clippings where you think it's necessary. Some of them can be spun out further with new writing. Leftovers can either be discarded or stripped down to what you're trying to communicate with them and recycled into other stories.

9. Once you're content with the content, start going over it to smooth out the prose and improve the consistency of the conventions. An editor can help out here.

10. Fail to find a publisher and kill yourself.

Are you joking or serious advice?

1) write
2) seriously, just write
3) there is no fucking secret ritual just WRITE

You probably think I'm being a dick to you but I'm not. It's pretty pathetic how many "aspiring authors" don't actually do the most important part of being an author. Close your tabs, turn off your phone, grab a pen and paper. Write.

>10. Fail to find a publisher and kill yourself.
This is probably the most useful part of your post.

Here's the ultimate tip:

You have to figure out what works for you. But first, you should figure out what you want to write.

No need to thank me.

>south african flag bikini
>white model
wut?

White people have no culture they are not a cultural community like blacks that's why whites aren't allowed to be proud of their heritage and browns are because browns are good smart decent people with a rich history and culture and whites are just oppressive robots with no souls and no history.
Good night white pride.
I'm going to make your kids hate you and think you're evil because your countries aren't impoverished and there's absolutely nothing you can do to stop me.

racist

1. Write the First Page

2. Write the Second Page

3. Repeat 398 more times

Does this work for novellas?

HAHAHA

It only works for poetry and flash fiction.

stop posting these kinds of imagery. im on nofap.

Yeah

Self

I feel an overwhelming need to procreate.

pls dont

You obviously know nothing about South Africa then.

Look up outlining a novel on YouTube

There's a great video on a 27 chapter story structure

As Jörn Donner once said. "Write one page a day for a year, then you have a book"

On point.