What is the Veeky Forums opinion on this guy?

What is the Veeky Forums opinion on this guy?

His software sucks.

Self-important guy who's also genuinely fairly important. Hurt his influence by making dubious predictions about how important some of his work was, and by upsetting another self-important guy who was a lot more charismatic. The latter used him as a tool to show how great and understanding he was.

Known and loved by undergrads for pragmatic reasons.

I hate the normie "lel woulda never passed calc without this guy XDDD!!" meme

Also not saying that the symbolic computation stuff isn't impressive, but it's baffling how normies are so impressed by dumb shit like natural language input ("dood I can type in 'wut is da square root of two' instead of just learning some simple syntax!!!") and searching the internet for trivia ("omg it can tell me the average temp. of lima, peru in january!!!")

I fucking love George Costanza.

Who was the latter guy?

He is the guy who does computations for me so I appreciate him for that.

He looks like my highschool physics teacher. Nice, but dangerous.

rich crank and a huge attention whore.

This. Manages to run just a tad more stable than Maple, which is in Java, which is shit.

Feynman maybe.

he was onto something with his CA shit - it's funny because he can sense how significant it is but he can't quite grasp why

maybe someone else will figure it out

Mathematica is actually the greatest high-level language ever made.

Wolfram Language*
It's not that good in terms of syntax but it's incredibly resourceful.

He was always known as a conceited prick, but after publishing A New Kind of Science, he pretty much sealed his fate. I like to think of him as yet another example of a child prodigy gone wrong.

he's a transhumanist therefore he's ok

dafuq wrong with dis niqqas right eyeball

Crackpot.
He was a genius though, no doubt.
Should have stay in academia and try to become the next Neumann.

Feynman wasted his time hanging out with this guy.

He is tight. NKS was awesome. Pro-tip being arrogant is not a bad thing if you are actually the shit.

what is this book about? why is it controversial? why did it seal his fate?

\LaTeX{}

Arrival was ok