Brave New World

Let's talk about this book.
What did you think of it?

L I T E R A L L Y how the world is right now. Disturbingly Orwellian. Skin tinglingly Kafkaesque

Literally the only book I ever disliked or found overly boring

i like were Soylent Green has people in these pods to stop them from going to Zion and he stop the bullet

Does anyone else think the first chapter is terrible?

I enjoyed the rest of the book though

love it, better than 1984, fight me.

Reminds me how you're a societal pariah if you don't drink alcohol. Especially if you don't drink it from age 16-21.

Was a much more interesting and upsetting book before it got to all the moralizing with the savages
Still it was alright, i'm not big on dystopian lit but this is probably the best I've encountered

I disagree but mostly because I preferred the setting of 1984 to that of BNW, not because of the quality of writing or anything like that.

I guess that's true in some circles (and societies), but not universally true.

I was really impressed by the 'biopunk' influences found in the book. I can't think of any earlier 'genetic-thrillers'.

All that before the discovery of the discovery of the DNA model.

The confrontation between John and Mustapha is electric.

Shit. Didn't mean to type 'discovery of' twice.

Couldn't been an excellent book if not the pointless as fuck native dindu subplot

I enjoyed it.

Great ripoff, Huxley, heh, really, really nice

HOWEVER

>BNW
>Dystopian
Try again.
Yeah, I almost put it down in the first chapter. Glad I pushed through, but it was an awful start.
I didn't even notice it was there twice until you mentioned it. I read right over it.
This

book's not very good, but the ending really stuck with me
Kind of informs my worldview, I suppose. I understand that you can't return to any kind of more simple state, or whatever state, because it is purely imaginary

How was it?

I found it to be much more imaginitive, grim, and honest than BNW, satan

he hadn't read it

this book is so corny how does anybody over 13 like this shit

'marx lenin' amiright 'henry freud' muh shakespeare muh noble savage muh cryogenic baby farms

some old british tripper into ~the orient~ yells incoherently about modernity and how reading shakespeare will save us

Overrated shit you read in high school and then immediately forget.

Also sick of hearing the title used in other contexts, it's beyond trite

Huxley came from a family of prominent biologists, so he was pretty knowledgeable.

I thought the same, it was really boring up until the end. The take on utopia/dystopia was kind of formulaic, and it kind of felt inconsequential. My American-libertarian values weren't violated enough to care.

Ending was really good though.

I was familiar with that fact. Didn't his Uncle debate in favor of Evolution against some Anglican bishop?

Aside from the primal sub-morons of the Epsilon caste,(which seemed cartoonish) the actual biologic conditioning processes seemed very sophisticated for a time before DNA editing.

That said, Huxley totally predicted the rise of the leg beards via Freemartins.

orwell was inspired by brave new world. i hate that orwellian gets applied to this book

I recently read it. I loved it and I thought that the ending was perfect.

For a book, wonderfully pneumatic.

Read this 2 weeks ago since I still had it from not reading it during high school.

The verbiage is fancy and uses uncommon or complicated words but the writing is still patronizing by reminding you all the time that these guys were brainwashed, as if you'd forget the core premise of the book.

Entire book just seems like an excuse for the author to describe his fantasy society and the actual characters within are unimportant.

The end of the book is basically a lecture from the author about his make believe society and its pros and cons. It's like if you had the ending monologue of BioShock 1 when you realize you're mind controlled but it's a lot longer and not dramatic because the entire story has been hammering you with the explicit knowledge of being mind controlled and there's no fighting.

I thought the first part was one of the better ones, it set the tone for the rest of the book, there is a biological component to the social hierarchy, and because of that no one can argue over equality, which is something I feel would have been brought up otherwise.
It was the savage's complaints that I had issues with, He really turned the book around for me. Up until then the reader is the stranger visiting a wondrous utopia, but the savage replaces your wonder with his repulsion. The savage doesn't understand progress, even when the big dog Mr.Ford himself explains it to him the savage clings to his calvinist ideals of self flagellation.
tldr;fuck the savage

What was the meaning of the last few lines?

>Slowly, very slowly, like two unhurried compass needles, the feet turned towards the right; north, north-east, east, south-east, south, south-south-west; then paused, and, after a few seconds, turned as unhurriedly back towards the left. South-south-west, south, south-east, east. …

Nice digits. He hung himself on a tree and his body was rotating around, making his feet point like a compass needle. You're welcome for my brilliant literary analysis skills senpai.

Let's talk about this book.
What did you think of it?

Fukin awesome altho couldmt transmit shit.

Still think about it whenever i open up my laptop aftrr a hard days work, almost using tech as my personalized SOMA.

Incredibly predictive book

Fmitass

It's one of those books that sounds better when someone dramatically summarizes it to you than when you actually read it.

Basically it's a difficult read if you're someone who isn't deep in a love for literature or just a really good reader, but the content covered in the book, the philosophy touched on, and just the eery feel of what was supposed to be an outrageous dystopia now mimicks modern society; it's all amazing.

A good read, if you can read good.

>difficult read
Really? I finished it casually reading for a few hours a day over 3 days and I thought it was short.

I have read it with leisure over the course of two days, just reading late at night.
However, I also recall having to read this book in high school, and it was a pain in the ass because I was one of the majority of students who hated reading literature that wasn't just fucking Harry Potter.

As I said, a good read if you can read good. If you don't have a love or don't know how to read as well as others, you'll likely be spending more time trying to figure out how to enjoy the book than actually enjoying it.