When did you publish your first paper Veeky Forums...

When did you publish your first paper Veeky Forums? My professors told me I'm a certified brainlet if I don't have one by the time I graduate.

if you haven't published a first-author paper by 5th grade you might as well drop out and flip burgers (if you even pass the interview)

fuck

Junior year of undergrad.

lots of inter-individual and field-specific differences

review articles dont count anyway for first paper imho

if your master thesis is part of a publication, then it's a good sign that you are good enough

but not the only

i know a guy who published his first article after his phd exam and now he's a postdoc in a nobel prize lab

my professor's logic was, "you're 2nd year right now and everyone who ever wasn't a fucking brainlet has done much much more than you before they even entered uni, catch up"

What field? I can only talk about CS, and here most people get their first publication out of the master thesis, some get it before through some project or undergrad research, but that says more about the advisor than the student.

>highschool level papers

>My professors told me I'm a certified brainlet if I don't have one by the time I graduate.
You have shit professors. I really would like to know their exact words.
Most students start doing actual research AFTER they graduate, when they are doing a master or a phd.

please specify precisely what you mean by "paper".
also I think a better metric than "# of published papers" would be "# of citations of your published results by other authors"

What would you publish ? I can barely talk about anything, except maybe philosophy and that's pushing it.

never talk to professors

Is this why my students never talk to me?

>also I think a better metric than "# of published papers" would be "# of citations of your published results by other authors"
I hate that so much.
Because of the citation index people have become fucking alienated and ethics has gone astray.

that's crap too
someone with 3 papers from 5 years ago has received more citations than someone with 6 papers from this year

they don't talk to you because you are autistic

I talked to a teacher once. He basically told me :
>Buut user, you're in an engineering school. It's fucking over, there's such a gap between you and math students that you will NEVER, EVER, be able to do pure research. You had your chance 2 years ago, now all is said and done.
>But don't worry, we still need people like you to explain it to code monkeys, haha

>It's fucking over, there's such a gap between you and math students that you will NEVER, EVER, be able to do pure research.
Professors like this deserve to be fired.

If you were asking your professor about help, direction or for him to be your advisor, he is right in saying this. Why would he waste his time teaching a literal math illiterate (before you get mad at this. go read any text written in full math notation and compare it to your engineering texts) when he could spend his time with a second year math student.

Not really. Be realist. There IS a gap between math students and everyone else. If you deny this then you are delusional.

Imagine it from the other side. A math student wants to do engineering research. Why would an engineering professor not tell him to fuck off? Why would an engineering professor waste his time teaching a mathematician bullshit he should already know, when he could just help an engineering student.

>If you were asking your professor about help, direction or for him to be your advisor, he is right in saying this
I was just asking if I could do a phD after finishing my major. He told me the honest truth, I'm glad he did. But it's a bit depressing. I'm reading books to catch up (his advice), and it's not always easy.

Depends which engineering field, I might be contributing to the meme but CS is basically applied math and learning norms. A tech-aware mathematician can learn it easily.

>Not really. Be realist. There IS a gap between math students and everyone else. If you deny this then you are delusional.
Of course there is a gap. I have never denied that. What I do think is retarded is that a professor said a engineering student will "NEVER, EVER be able to do pure research." If an engineering student has interest in mathematics and wants to do pure research, it is unlikely that "it's fucking over."

>A math student wants to do engineering research. Why would an engineering professor not tell him to fuck off? Why would an engineering professor waste his time teaching a mathematician bullshit he should already know, when he could just help an engineering student.
I would tell the math student that he needs to become an engineering student, rather than thinking he can jump to do engineering research of the hat. I would not tell him that he will never ever be able to do it.

elaborate?

There has been a few incidents where people from the same university or colleagues and such add unneeded citations to push their name of their colleagues in the citation index.
A (medical) doctor came to our university some time ago, he recommended students that they should cite each other in order to push their number of citations.