What is your field?

strawpoll.me/11978410

Other urls found in this thread:

arcgis.com/home/gallery.html#c=esri&t=maps&o=modified
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Physics.

Is James Grime.your favorite mathematician by any chance?

>Philosophy
>Shit tier

1/10 troll

Medicine

>Electrical engineer, anything but suicide tier
O I am lafin

Works for physics as well senpai

Except physicists can do engineering, programming, trading, etc..

Whats with the 3/3/3/3

Physics majors can't do engineering, are you fucking stupid?

political science

Well, fuck, we need more chemists to really be the 'science board'. What shall we do?

Then why do 25% of physics grads end up in engineering?

Petroleum E.

>programmers
get the fuc out of here
biology is the only real science

Because engineering allows to make practical application with all of that physics you learn and this allows you to finally make bank with that knowledge too.

god tier - anything applicable to developing life extension

whatever tier - everything else

should be rounded up and summarily executed tier - bioethics impeding life extension

I basically agree with this, but I think there are better examples. The picture is too much physics-oriented.
For example, Husserl had a PhD in mathematics, but he is also known for founding the school of phenomenology, which has been very much fucking influential in later existentialism.
Frege is another mathematician who produced remarkably philosophy. Russell worked on mathematics and logic, and his philosophical influence is still presente.
Wittgenstein was an aeronautical engineer, and it wouldn't be too much of an exageration to say that he maye be the most original philosopher since Kant.

>Without philosophy there would be no mathematics.
>Without mathematics there would be no physics.
>Without physics there would be no chemistry.
>Without chemistry there would be no biology.
>Without biology there would be no medicine.
TL;DR: biology and medicine are bottom tier sciences that require so many other fields to even exist that they shouldn't even be trying to claim any dominance.

They actually save lives, too.

Pretty funny how these are 'top dogs' by the popular opinion

>dominance should be claimed upon "dependence" rather than achievements and consequences
pleb detected

GET THESE COMP SCI FAGS OF MY BOARD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Theology
>not God tier
You're doing it wrong.

Well, consider this:
>Philosophy's achievement gave us the sciences.
I guess philosophy is the most patrician of them all.
On a less autistic side-note:
When put side by side, all fields of STEM have contrabuted roughly the same to humanity and thus none are dominant.
>user just got BTFO by a supposed 'pleb', rough times.

*contributed
God damn auto-spell.

Economics.

Where are the god damn chemistry ppl... get in here

BA in Japanese/Philosophy and now getting a dual degree in Computer Engineering/Computer Science.

>patrician
stopped reading, *tip*

>Proves that he was well a truly BTFO.
Feels good, feels good.

>philosophy

kek, cry more diogenes, medicine is master race

>diogenes
Literally move, you're blocking my light, user.

(...) the most exact of the sciences are those which deal most with first principles; for those which involve fewer principles are more exact than those which involve additional principles, (...) But the science which investigates causes is also instructive, in a higher degree, for the people who instruct us are those who tell the causes of each thing. And understanding and knowledge pursued for their own sake are found most in the knowledge of that which is most knowable (...); and the first principles and the causes are most knowable; for by reason of these, and from these, all other things come to be known, and not these by means of the things subordinate to them. And the science which knows to what end each thing must be done is the most authoritative of the sciences.

That it is not a science of production is clear even from the history of the earliest philosophers. For it is owing to their wonder that men both now begin and at first began to philosophize; they wondered originally at the obvious difficulties, then advanced little by little and stated difficulties about the greater matters, e.g. about the phenomena of the moon and those of the sun and of the stars, and about the genesis of the universe. And a man who is puzzled and wonders thinks himself ignorant (whence even the lover of myth is in a sense a lover of Wisdom, for the myth is composed of wonders); therefore since they philosophized order to escape from ignorance, evidently they were pursuing science in order to know, and not for any utilitarian end. And this is confirmed by the facts; for it was when almost all the necessities of life and the things that make for comfort and recreation had been secured, that such knowledge began to be sought. Evidently then we do not seek it for the sake of any other advantage; but as the man is free, we say, who exists for his own sake and not for another's, so we pursue this as the only free science, for it alone exists for its own sake

bump

>When put side by side, all fields of STEM have contrabuted roughly the same to humanity and thus none are dominant.
kek retard

First off, we're comparing fields at one particular time frame. If you do it from 2000-future, you'll see that not all fields have the same yield in benefits for humanity. I'd put physics on top then bio then chem. And in the near future bio first then physics then chem. Philosophy is nowhere to be found because it literally has no bearing nowadays on anyone. The standing for math depends on whether you're including it in computer science or pure math on its own.

If you do it 1900-present you'd get physics then chem then bio for instance. That's how you compare everything with each other.

>physicists cant do applied physics

huh?

>bio ahead of chem

biochem is more chem than bio. medicine is all biochem. biofags are pathetic

Step out of the way brainlets, Unbelievable tier EE major with God tier Physics minor brainmore coming through

because my girlfriend is a Hospitality management major my massive brain is to powerful for her meh tier brainlet major

Not really, it depends on the university. I am biochem and I work in the life sciences department. Biology uses chemistry anyway but chemistry doesn't really rely on biology, so I don't think it makes sense to include biochemistry in chemistry from any viewpoint.

Also,
>medicine is all biochem
Vaccines are one of the most obvious things that come to mind to disprove that statement.

How the fuck is computer engineering "unbelievable tier"?
And I say that as someone who is in that major.

>because my girlfriend is a Hospitality management major my massive brain is to powerful for her meh tier brainlet major
Literally, 'ive fucked enough chads, i'm ready to settle down with my high earning husband' tier.

bump

G E O L O G Y boys. Science for those that suck at math, lotta biddies in my classes too. Good stuff.

How do geologists even use the scientific method? What theorems are you testing?

Why does CS always catch the shit on this board

you're all permajellymad

Cuz the rest of us are real scientists.
You guys are fucking weaboo trash and pajeets.

Engineers aren't scientists. Neither are mathematicians.

You're a poor lab faggot

CompE reporting in. Thinking of doing MSc in EE or Mechatronics.

After that maybe a second degree (MSc) in Applied Physics or Math.
It'll probably be in Math (more math is always good + control theory - dynamical systems).

Physics at BSc level is brainlet tier in itself and EE MSc is enough (at a proper uni) for solid state physics (semiconductors) or optics. Anything else isn't exactly strict physics.

So suck my dick, dumbfucks.

Because most schools have shit programs, and you'd be better off majoring in math and learning to program in your spare time.

Yeah I thought so too but I was legit her first. It is strange when I think about how attractive she is, but she is also very introverted and just watches netflix and british shows in all her downtime.

What's the difference between Software Engy and Computer Science? Most computer science majors end up in software engineering, but if you mean computer science as a field, it's in God tier (they do research in AI, graphics, quantum computing)

Computer Science

>electrical engineer
>computer "engineer"
>godtier
It's not even April first

Bioengineering
aka Biotech, Genetic engineering, etc.
None of which appear on this list

Why is Chemistry the least popular science? It seems both on Veeky Forums and irl that everyone hates chemistry, except chem majors.

The only thing I like in chemistry is nuclear stuff. So I went with physics since its more applicable.

Because it's has to be the most dull science of ever. Straight memorization is all that you do

Why is Computer Engineering above Computer Science? Does OP not realize that Computer Science involves more math (think ML, graphics, theory, computer vision, networks, etc) than Computer Engineering (circuits and stuff like any other engineering)?

Software engineering should be in the "great tier", since it's basically "learn how to code"

I'm surprised by the amount of engineers. There are barely any engineering threads here.

This. At least in Canada it is illegal to do engineering unless you have an engineering degree.

studied mechanical engineering

working in telecom

fuck man i have to learn about shitty internet protocol and other computer science bullshit

I'm doing genetic engineering and biotechnology, am i engineering, biology or chemistry?

>Does OP not realize that Computer Science involves more math (think ML, graphics, theory, computer vision, networks, etc) than Computer Engineering (circuits and stuff like any other engineering)?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, no.

>Biotech, Genetic engineering
because these are poorly defined, what is "biotech" for instance

You're in the meme tier.

again, you're thinking of "Software engineering" or "computer science" at a bootcamp.

A good university (at least mine) goes deeply into the math and theory of computer science, you have to do all of calculus + real + functional [banach, hilbert, lp spaces, complex variables] and complex analysis, discrete math, linear algebra, graph theory, combinatorics, vector calculus, statistics, differential equations/pde, an option to do computational topology (esp if you want to do graphics, it involves tychonoff's, stone's, directed complete partial orders [DCPOs], resursive domain equations, domain theory), linear optimization, and a few others.

That's just the math portion of a good Computer Science undergrad. Probably more math than most of the math majors on Veeky Forums have done in their lives (since they're all freshmen). Obviously it won't have as much math as a math degree (no abstract algebra), but it's only because that stuff is useless in computer science (like if a math major studied psychology or something to "understand what the great philosophers were thinking")

For the computer science portion, there's a lot more stuff:
coding - OS, introductory programming, functional programming + paradigms, parallelism, data management, systems programming, networks, compiler construction, a ton more
theory/science - AI, ML, computer architecture, theory of computing [models], database systems internals [optional], distributed systems, advanced internet services [hyperlink analysis, scalable web services, you create a web crawler], computer vision [3d shape reconstruction, object recognition, image retrieval, segmentation, motion estimation], graphics/animation (ray-tracing, affine transformations, etc), security, NLP, and then a few capstones

Keep in mind that this is a good UNDERGRAD computer science education. I'm not sure what deluded program Veeky Forums thinks of when computer science is brought up, but this is real computer science.

Education Preschool -- High School

Structures (incl. FE and that parametric design shit)

So...Between Great and God tier?

I mean, I get to go to fancy soirees put on by architects and clients while my friends who studied Aerospace and Mech eng design a single blade or clutch for about 3 years.

As someone who studied physics, and now works as an engineer.

lel. It's really fucking different.

In the same way a pretty painting and a real 3d landscape is different.

You'll sit there all day deriving a great equation to get your work done... then some dickhead will come along and point out that you're retarded because of X Y Z .... 'bbbuttt muh physics' doesn't cut it.

tfw no statistics

>all the Earth Sciences lumped with 'other'

Love it, you have to change the rules of the game just to win. PATHETIC! Fyi, engineering has contributed the most, including that computer you're shitposting on, so suck my dick. :)

Not to nitpick (ok, really to nitpick) but I have a buddy who graduated with a philosophy degree and ended up a sitting judge in New York state.

Philosophers can also work as politicians or political advisors, writers, professors, and lawyers or judges if they continue on into law. There's probably a philosopher or three in your university's administration.

Integrative biology

And all of you would be sitting on wooden logs smashing rocks together for fire if it weren't for us geologists. What's your point?

as a masters or a bsc?

>sci is full of comp sci retards and faggot engineers

Why don't you just leave?

give examples of cases where bioethics halted life extension development
I'm not challenging you, just curious

Medicine here

Cognitive science is the future.
All field covered at once.

No wonder all the neckbeard science here, with 30% of engineers

bio probably, all these meme bioengineering shit should be lumped to the closest field. Just as a statistics degree should be lumped with math.
Of the bioshit, only biomedical engineering should belong to the engineering category.

"Other" shouldn't be included when medicine and earth science are excluded, it's overinflated due to these fields and a bunch of other non STEM majors.

I'm kind of surprised at the engineer and compsci number, considering Veeky Forums uses many prevalent anti-CS and gay engineer maymays.

>based on job market
>CivE only Great tier when they have the highest growth of Engineering disciplines that don't have a miniscule amount of jobs

I didn't say anything bad about geology, though, I think you're forgetting the metallurgists who progressed us through the stone age, to the bronze age and then to the iron age and eventually to the 'steel age'.

>employment, usefulness to market, salary, job everioment
>math is higher than computer science
What.

Yeah people didn't do any medicines before biology theories were created.
And no one did any chemistry before physics theories were created.
That totally how it works.

Provide proof that it's impossible to describe world's phenomenons, do engineering and do math without concerning about existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.

>theology
>shit tier
Kek, well memed

Studied Electical Engineering, but honestly I think I should move to Computer Science

I didn't say you did. I'm suggesting that we're all working together, that engineers need physicists as badly as physicists need engineers, that geologists like me need you physicists and engineers as badly as you need us, that there is no superior field of science.

I think more than anything I should say: 'Life is not a competition'

And certainly not a competition if we're working toward human longevity and betterment?

I switched to chemistry

the world needs chemists, correct

Oh and by the way
>Geography
>Shit tier
You guys clearly have no fucking clue what life changing shit is going on in geography right now.

arcgis.com/home/gallery.html#c=esri&t=maps&o=modified

The whole tiers thing is just pure and utter idiotic bullshit. It should be relabled to 'stuff I know about -----> stuff I don't understand'

Computer Engineers do that. CS guys are just fuckboys.

Nice try circuitbabby

Honestly at any reputable school CompE is CS + EE at around 120-140% (you can't do a 200% aka the entire CS+EE in a limited time).
It's a hybrid degree and as such it's usually harder because of the more varied and different topics aka broader.
CE curriculum usually have the essential classes from CS + some more.

CE is more concerned with stuff with computers in it than with pure CS stuff.

I guess CE is also more varied between universities. Not clear definition.

That's essentially in CE too. You just described most of the basic courses. Of course they can't teach you all that shit you listed in a CE program because of all the other shit you need to learn, but most of that are the CS basic classes.

Where I am CS is a 6 semester long degree with lighter class load while CE is 7 semesters long with heavy class load. They did merge some courses though for the CE guys.
CE is like all the basics stuff + lot of electives from CE/EE/CS stuff in whatever way you want it.

You can also fairly easily continue into a CS masters if you wish. You only need to do a few more classes to compensate.

>More CS-Monkeys than phsicists

Cog/behavioral neuroscience+psych major here. What's my power level Veeky Forums?

>Cog/behavioral neuroscience+psych major here
sounds gimmicky

> Military (as a Private)

Maker of list confirmed fucking retard

>transportation that low
What the fuck is this chart based on? Cities would literally fall apart and not work if it wasn't for me planning the different bus and train systems.