Who else hates math textbooks with modern layouts?

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Just a plain [math]\LaTeX[/math] layout is by far the best support to stay focused on the content and not on the layout tbqh. And that's part of the reason why textbooks suck ass (the other one being how they try to sell you complex numbers with 3D renders of fish).

>(the other one being how they try to sell you complex numbers with 3D renders of fish).
What the fuck?

can you give me an example

This

[eqn]\color{#789922}{> \phantom{\sqrt{\sqrt{ }}}
\left( \phantom{\sqrt{ }}\left( \phantom{\sqrt{ }}
\left( \phantom{\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{
\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{
\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{
\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
%We should start documenting the methodologies for engineering shitposts in
\LaTeX
\phantom{\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{
\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{
\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{
\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} \right)
\phantom{\sqrt{ }} \right)\phantom{\sqrt{ }} \right)}
[/eqn]

I agree, user, I prefer my textbooks written in Sumerian cuneiform on slabs of sandstone.

This is an example of mathematics done right.

1. No homosexual ornaments.
2. No bullshit.

>yfw i had this book open in front of me when i read this post
I heard the algebraic topology part wasn't as good and alternatives were better. Is this true?

>mfw autists will defend this autism

Autism, well at least Asperger's, has given you much of what you hold dear today, sir.

>I heard the algebraic topology part wasn't as good and alternatives were better. Is this true?
How so?
This book is a masterpiece.
But then I'm not an expert so I can't compare.

From what book?

No.

da phuc

>implying this has given me anything

Theory of Sets - Bourbaki

>Theory of Sets - Bourbaki
Thank you.

This one isn't bad at all.

>Is this true?
Yes, it's pretty much a waste of time since he covers so little relevant material in 100 pages.

>How so?
It's not that it's bad, per se, but it's that books like Hatcher exist which presume a background of general topology and work much faster to much more important concepts.

>What is Tesla?

Too austere

>pop-scientists will defend this

>What is da Vinci?

Just to expand on this, Munkres is an excellent author, but sometimes he has awful topic choices or a really bad idea for how to approach a subject.

I think Analysis on Manifolds is the perfect example of this. It's basically Spivak's Calculus depth-wise, but for no reason whatsoever Munkres decides to do everything multivariate which makes the book useless imo, since the whole point of multivariate analysis is that it should be deeper than single variable.

The algebraic topology section is pretty much the same, he talks about topics in algebraic topology and somehow manages to never actually teach any algebraic topology.

Yes, Anatoli and Fomenko's book on homotopical topology is the best intro to algebraic topology book written.

With some obvious exceptions, you only need to read books that are 10-20+ years old. After that you can just read papers.

>go through 30 year old anatomy books with nice thick pages and hard covers that look old but well preserved
>my books are made out of satin paper and probably won't last for more than 10 years

why is todays society about making everything dispensable?

Where's this from, and why is[ math]x=x[/math] something that needs to be proven?

Quantity over quality, get the chinese to churn the shit out en masse and charge college students $300 for a book that costs $2 cents to make