RECENT PURCHASES/STACK

Post your stack, post what you just bought, rate, give recs

14 dollars for these lil paperbacks

Right two are what I'm currently reading along with mythology by Edith Hamilton on the kindle, left is some selected books from the backlog that I'm trying to pick my next read from. What do y'all think

I haven't read anything in a while.
I should get to it before things get out of hand.

I don't have one.

>now he's going to pretend he isn't retarded

Why am I retarded :(

>right
>left

Oh I'm stupid, my bad

Creamy Meme Dreams. I'm currently reading Portrait.

I fell for all the memes

Did you read the Iliad first?

3 years ago I read part of it for school

Alright. I was just wondering. Interesting that you chose the fagles translation. Its the most popular but I know there are much more poetic and true translations.

>chose
It as the one at he bookstore so I bought it

Gross desu. Seriously with something like The Odyssey or really anything in another language you should research the best translations and buy the book online.

Rate me bois. these are the books I have with me at school.

in return:

all over the place

pretty standard fare for this board

cool to see someone with their own taste, but i have no way of telling if its good or not

>not just buying a regular bible

>stirner
well meme'd, my property

who publishes that paradise lost?

franklin library. i think they have two versions.

i already have a pretty substantial collection of them that my grandfather left to me, and I wanted an edition with the illustrations of gustave dore, so i splurged a bit. in my experience theyre really nice.

>just buying a regular bible

thanks senpai-a-lam, enjoy your books

Walden is pretty comfy.
All for 3 bucks. Looking for some good western pew pew horse lit like McCarthy. Suggestions?

Can anybody tell me why German books have the spine text upside down ? Also, why do they sometimes have the tops of the pages painted red ?

Have fun with Portrait. A lot of people just view it as a requisite for Ulysses, so they don't appreciate how comfy the book is. Do yourself a favor and savor the comfiness while it lasts, especially in the beginning parts.

Also, why was the Bible published in a literary series ?

See above regarding Portrait. You were definitely memed into getting a translation of Homer.

>why was the Bible published in a literary series ?

Because it is technically from a secular point of view just an epic poem.

But it's prose.

>why do they sometimes have the tops of the pages painted red ?
As a German: wat

Not really though

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered."

Genesis 9:2

Some of the German books I've seen have that and it confuses me. Why do they do that ?

But that's prose.

whats different about the 1922 text?

>Can anybody tell me why German books have the spine text upside down
French books are the same way
its like why some countries drive on the other side of the road, its just how theyve chosen to do it.

Nothing really, aside from the hundreds of typographical errors.

Except that driving on certain sides of the road is completely arbitrary whereas having upside down writing objectively makes no sense.

5 dollaroos for entire stack. How'd I do?

i don't know any of these. 0/10

If you're that into Spanish literature, why not learn to read Spanish ?

Joseph and his brothers by Thomas Mann (90 pages into the first book already)
The novel of the coming century by Mór Jókai
Prosaic works of Seneca

9 bucks for the whole stack.

why, in french movies at least, are almost all books displayed on a bookshelf or in a bookstore in france paperbacks with white spines

3 Spanish novellas does not equal that into Spanish literature, and i got those for being cheap as fuck and in perfect condition and the fact that I would have had to pay the same price new as I would for a 500 page novel had I went that route.

Oh yeah, Saramago was Portuguese.

why would there be a KJV with Apocrypha?

Legend of the 10

perfect

have you read it yet?

Its really just a full package its not like for religious purpose. They just wanted to include everything and chose the kjv versions of the old and new testament.

Currently reading The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, The Hobbit (yet again) and The Motorcycle Diaries. The other three I'm just perusing. That book of poetry by Tolkien is fun. And also some CDs I got in the mail today.

tfw its payday and you can finally clean up your amazon wishlist.

None of you pussies will have the balls to rate this stack.

(that image of vladimir clutching his chest as if in pain)

very cummy indeed

Should I call a doctor?

my small stack. currently reading the third reich. a little uneasy with it so far.

yo bro is that nietche? high five dude

I'm afraid Mr N. was so afflicted by the existence of your post that he died almost 40 years ago.

Sadly this time Mr. N did die in vain because I'm still going to read these books.

>that awful ugly paperback KJV

Fantastic lad. 10/10. Mirin dat Saramago and Singer.

Got the following for about £6 or so.

The Monk-Matthew Lewis
The Rise and Fall of Rome-Polybius
Treasure Island-Robert Louis Stevenson
The Collected Stores of F Scott Fitzgerald-F Scott Fitzgerald

Which one do I begin immediately when I'm done with Infinite Jest? I was thinking of The Monk since I've been wanting to read it for a good while.

I got all these at the Half Price Books clearance sale yesterday. $2 or $1 each, got to fill in a lot of holes in my collection, plus some things I never thought I'd find.

Hoping to go back today or tomorrow sometime.

I also got the first two novels in the Bartimaeus trilogy since they seemed like a fun read and I never read them as a teenager. Good YA or on the same levels as His Dark Materials?

>The Vivisector
Good shit senpai

Bartimaeus is so good (though I haven't read one in years), I've only fond and somewhat confused memories. Strong series imo

I have recently bought
>Goodbye Canada -- Paul Hellyer
>One Big Party to Keep Canada Independent -- Paul Hellyer

I lucked out and found these at a second hand shop. I couldn't believe my luck. They were both good so I bought Hellyer's new book

>Money Mafia
and
>Anna Karenina (Translated by mirian schwartz)

Really hoping this translation of AK lives up to the hype. I read P&V last time, which was still good.

>Babbitt

nice. I love that book.

And it's not even the awful cover with the eyeball and the hooks!

that's nasty shit; pic related is my cover. I don't think I've seen yours before

99p each from oxfam

It's kind of a boring one, from this set.

that's not boring! it's kind of muted, but I like it; congrats on the find regardless!
>her hollow eyes have never known you
still feels like the echo of a familiar chill haha

What's the best first purchase for getting into Borges?

La Princesse de Clèves is probably my all-time favorite novella.

Somewhat random assortment here

french or euro anons answer me :(

nightwood >:)

That's one of the ones that surprised me to see there. Practically new condition too.

Here's my haul from today, of stuff I got in the mail.

>Wanting to walk around looking like a missionary with a dolled up bible

I fucked up didn't I?

depends on how much you have paid

Too lazy to take a photo

>Don Quixote
>Ulysess
>Wealth of Nations

>giving money to timbro
Yes.

HAHAHAH

A black hardcover is far from "dolled up"

Yeah but you still look like a christcuck

Is Butcher's Crossing just an 1800s western version of Stoner? Please say yes

So you got a shit copy because you didn't want to be associated with the people who had good copies. lmaoing @ ur life

>shit copy
>ugly black missionary bible is so cool
what are you even trying to prove my dude?

That you have a terrible sense of aesthetics

cool story

Probably Ficciones, just make sure you don't get one translated by Andrew Hurley

Pure class. My library only has half that set.

My stack has a lot of non lit in it at this point...

Currently reading:
Reading like a writer by Francine prose
Love in the ruins by Walker Percy (for the second time)

That's the first time I've ever seen the Tain posted on here. About to reread it for the third time, it's really fun. Also good job not getting the shit new translation

It's going to be my second reading, I actually read the Carson translation first. And even with an apparently shitty translation it ended up being one of my favorite epics, so I'm excited for the Kinsella version.

10/10

bump

>(((Saul Alinsky)))

My most recent 3 purchases

I'm sorry /pol/ migrant but sadly Veeky Forums is a leftist board. Your ((())) has no power here.

>sadly

Nothing sad about it. Have you seen how utterly fucking retarded those on the far right are?

>Robert Byrne: Skyscraper (Signed)

A better novel has NEVER been written!!

>Leftist board.

Nice joke.

>Robert Byrne: Skyscraper

It just looks like a dildo toppling over