God I fucking hate reddit...

God I fucking hate reddit, every time I go there to ask them a goddamned question they remove my posts and don't even say why. Anyway, here's the latest thing that got censored by them, do you guys know the answer:

Does the moon's orbit ever intersect with earth's in such a way that you could just launch a craft of people into space and just wait for the moon to make it's way to where you are? If so, what would be the best day of the year to do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/220200/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant-impact_hypothesis
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>posting on reddit
>even browsing reddit at all
why?

I don't know man, all it does is make me mad.

That's the normal way of getting to the moon. It's not like we launched Apollo and then wasted fuel trying to catch up with the moon. The launch time and trajectory was calculated to be as efficient as possible.

So if you somehow stopped the earth from moving, but the moon didn't stop, it'd hit us within a year?

No.

Well that's gay.

Maybe?

Kinda seems like a yes or no question. Is there a map of the trajectory of our orbits? Either they cross eachother at some point or they don't

If the earth suddenly became a fixed mass, it would be terribly fun for the people on the evening side but quick and painless for those on the morning side. Kersplat.

Also, the moon would very loosely spiral outward no matter when the Earth stopped because the moon is always travelling in a direction that points perpendicularly to the direction facing the Earth.

>red shift?
>If the earth is "stopped", the earth would not be moving away from the center of the universe while the rest of the solar system does. Thus depending on when it stops it MAY get hit by another planet or object or star.
>tl;dr Who gives a fuck

Reddit is for over-sensitive hipsters who think they are funny or clever. The whole site is cringy AF.

The "in-jokes" piss me off so much. And their pun of bad puns. Just cause it's ironic love doesn't mean it's not shit

This is strangely how I feel about Veeky Forums. Reddit is actually much more community oriented and better at judging good content in my experience -so long as you avoid the major subreddits. Popular Veeky Forums posts are 90% guaranteed replies clickbait. All the interesting stuff gets killed off before a good discussion can develop.

so you come here to bitch about reddit
>The whole site is cringy AF.
rich

So it's the same as Veeky Forums.

Where else would I go to bitch? Can't do it on reddit

Wrong.

>Can't do it on reddit
why the fuck not
>they remove my posts and don't even say why
sounds like a bunch of bs, desu

good post you sure convinced me

GUYS... IS THERE A WAY TO THROW A BALL SO THAT IT HITS THE PERSON WALKING BY IF I KNOW WHERE HE IS?

(OP)
You seem pretty confused about how orbital mechanics work. Go play KSP for a few days and you'll get an intuitive understanding. It's even on sale. store.steampowered.com/app/220200/

There are always windows at all times at different locations where you can do this, it's just a question of how efficient you want it to be. What do you you mean when you ask if our orbits "cross"? The orbits don't need to cross for us to get there, we just need to escape the earth with a velocoty vector pointed (almost) directly at where the moon will be when we cross into its orbital plane.

Maybe I should phrase my question differently. Let's just say I had a fucking time machine, and it could send the whole earth back to any date in time I wanted. Is there a date where if I sent the Earth to it, it would crash into the moon because the moon was there on that day?

If you did that, the earth would end up outside the solar system, because the earth and the moon are orbiting around the sun, and the sun is slowly orbiting around the milkey way, and it too is moving relative to the other galaxies. Everything is moving relative to something; if you had this "absolute point in space", we'd be swishing by it incredibly fast.

Ignoring this, and assuming that the earth and the moon are located at fixed orbital planes, then there are still no points where you would intersect.

If the sun is making a circle like you claim, and I had all of history to send earth to, wouldn't their have to be a day where they cross paths? You're saying never? Not even in a million years?

No, because you're moving at one speed relative to the moon, another relative to the sun, another relative to the galaxy, etc.

Imagine being in an aircraft and building a miniature solar system with little balls rotating around each other. If you moved a ball back in time to where it was a minute ago, it would end up outside the plane.

Well that's pretty gay. We did touch once though, right? The moon used to be a part of earth, or am I remembering that wrong?

That is the most supported theory, yes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant-impact_hypothesis

I feel like you have a very big misunderstanding of gravity, orbits, and inertia.

1. Gravity exists in space. "Zero G" is a very misleading term. People in the ISS right now are still under the influence of gravity. The thing is they're in orbit, so their constant tangential velocity is keeping them from crashing into the Earth, and Earth's gravity is keeping it from flying out into no where. The reason they float is because they're in a constant freefall state. They're just falling perpetually, same thing with the moon. It's still affected by Earth's gravity, it's just constantly falling.

So a direct flight to the moon is horribly inefficient, because you're depending solely on the potential energy of the rocket, and you're willingly avoiding the free velocity you get from the planet.

2. Right now, you are orbiting the sun as fast as the earth is. Let's say the earth is traveling around the sun at 1000 mph counter clockwise, and let's say the moon is behind the Earth in its orbit around the sun, if you flew directly there, you won't be going clockwise towards the moon, you would be traveling at 1000 mph counter clockwise, and you would have to cancel off all of that velocity to fly into the moon.

When astronauts traveled to the moon, they first got into orbit with earth, waited for the proper alignment, then increased their velocity. What that does is make your orbit more eccentric, or lopsided. Right now you're close to the earth, but as you speed up here, when you get to the other side of the orbit, you'll be much farther away. You're using Earth's gravity to propel yourself much farther. Once you're at the proper speed, you're done. You can turn off the engine until you want to make more specific course corrections, and you'll just float straight to the moon. Getting back is the same concept.

Like someone else said, play Kerbal Space Program. It's pretty fun and makes orbital mechanics make a lot more sense.