Why do you pretend to like mathematics?

Why do you pretend to like mathematics?

That's what autists do.

When you're smart but lazy, mathematics is the one and only way to get by in the real world.

You cheeky shitposter.

Math is complex. The complexity can encourage you or not. If it encourages you, then you may like it.

How much of a brainlet you have to be to not understand this?

This doesn't explain why you would pursue math in the first place.
>I like math because math is complex
Wow what a good reason to spend hours upon hours upon hours of your life on something.

It's better than spending hours upon hours upon hours of your life on something trivial.

I don't pretend to like it. I solve problems, user. It's what I do.

I was born good at it and in recent years I found out it doubles as a great job (or skill to get a job) and a great hobby. It is pretty good. And when someone shows me a nice problem I genuinely get excited by it and want to solve it but it is less about the problem and more about me. I was born being smart and I believe I am smart, so problems are like challenges. Am I really smart? If so then I should be able to solve those problems.

>good reason
user, if life would be ruled by human "reasoning" we wouldn't be spending time on this dumb imageboard.

How can you justify this behavior, if all that can be spouted is made-up excuses?

Fuck off, brainlet.

I wish I could be like you, f a m. I want to like maths because it seems pretty cool, but I can never get into it. It all seems ultimately pointless and boring. Maybe because I'm still at the beginner stages and have only studied up through calculus. Every time I try to learn linear algebra or real analysis I get bored.

You know, when I was younger, I always wondered "Why do people pretend to like clubs?". To me it was so obviously a terrible place to get stuck in. It's painfully loud, you are constantly forced to do stuff I hated to do, you can't talk to each other, the people smell weird and so much more. To me it seemed to be some sort of collective Stockholm syndrome that must have started eons ago.

Eventually I figured that this is just not true at all, or at least not completely. Most people that regularly visit clubs indeed to like to go there, as strange that seemed to be back then. I realized, that I'm just different from those people and can't just project who they are on me to judge them. People are different, back then I assumed there are just these two kinds of people.

I was like 16 back then and it was ten years ago. In the mean time, I realized that there aren't just two kinds of people, there are quite a bit more of them that are useful to differentiate. Polar opposites of aspects of what I am. It's hard for me not to think that they are stupid or insane, but they are not. They just have different priorities than me. It's easy to think you are just better than them, but in the end you are just different and we are all out on our individual paths through life without any way to determine which one is the best. One of my aunts is a completely broken drunkard who fucked around her whole life. Now she's as good as dead and she regrets nothing. She just did what she liked best, that's it.

Just go to university. Professors do a good job of showing you the correct path of what is worth learning and what is trash you can google when necessary. And also problems where you can apply your growing knowledge.

>Just bee urself! : The post

>I was born being smart and I believe I am smart, so problems are like challenges. Am I really smart? If so then I should be able to solve those problems.

>Look at me everybody, I can fly up to the sun with these wax wings!
And yes, I'm extremely envious, and no, you don't need to remind me that's an admission of mediocrity.

Makes normies think im a walking god of higher intelligence. I've baged a lot of sociology majors.

It's my escapism and one of my few hobbies.

It makes me feel smarter than everyone else cause I'm good at it.

>Just bee urself! : The post
It's more like "Get your head out of your ass: The post"

Because it's actually quite funny. However, I've come to believe that no matter what I've learn, I will always be a brainlet for you elitist pricks

>a good post
>in Veeky Forums
>wheredoyouthinkyouare.jpg

But yeah, this is true. I do like math because I like the feeling of understanding something new

this except I'm not good at it

Interest/curiosity is driven by a sole factor: the knowledge gap.

If you assess a knowledge gap to be too big or insurmountable, the problem bores you and you never attempt to solve it. If you assess a knowledge gap as not too small, so that it is trivial and boring, but just the right size for your current ability, then it holds your attention and you are interested.

Good, good.

I would only add to this that the different kinds of people can be explained by the fact that some are indeed better or worse in particular cognitive skills.

Just because this is nearly impossible to distinguish accurately does not mean it's all a level playing field. There are real distinctions and gradations there. We'd just do well not to pretend we are good judges of them.

> smart but lazy
Suure, bud.

>I like math because it's complex.
Way to trivialize

So that maybe eventually I'll start believing it

>If I am smart then I should be able to solve these problems
>I can solve these problems
>Therefore I'm smart

foh brainlet

;-;
user I would hug u

god, I imagine this is how supersmart redditors who haven't taken any proof-based math course thinks about math

That's literally what he said though.

Same here, it requires only paper pen and your mind. Also it is nice, as many other things but in her unique way.

Awwww!

Indeed!