Nabokov thread

nabokov thread

According to a list of the ten greatest books of the 20th century, as voted by 125 famous authors, number one and number 10 are both by Nabokov. To have written two of the ten best novels of the 20th century (as voted by his peers), one of them number one, and to be a distinguished writer in more than one language, is strong evidence that Nabokov is the most accomplished writer of the 20th century.

brainpickings.org/2012/01/30/writers-top-ten-favorite-books/

Only cucks put faith in such lists.

Did you read his books then?

I read Lolita and I liked it. Should I read Pale Fire or Ada next?

I enjoyed ada but I haven't read pale fire. Ada has a very difficult first 50 pages, but after that it's smooth sailing. It uses three languages and also assumes an "anti-terra" (something like bizarro-earth)... it was hard to get through, but after I got through the initial wall I loved it. I don't know what ada is like.

sorry, I don't know what pale fire is like. 2 drunk 2 post

his style is superficial

he models other human beings better than any other writer

was actually meant for
My mistake sorry OP

> peers

Why did this windowlicker think he was good enough to critique other writers, let alone Joyce ?

Joyce didn't even make sense

how many people who make comments like this have a. read Nabokov, or read him beyond Lolita b. read Joyce c. read Nabokov on Joyce

I haven't read Lolita and I'm not going to because of how disappointing Pale Fire was. I can't believe I spent $16 on that book. I'm considering burning my copy of it in a pale fire because I can't stand to have it on my shelf anymore.

maybe you just didnt understand it

Or maybe it's just poorly written like it is.

I haven't read it, but the other nabokov stuff I've read leads me to believe that he can't write something extremely poor unless it was like the first book he wrote or something

Then you should read Pale Fire, because it is definitely not an impressive work of literature.

I've been to that site. It's American authors and Lolita is like #7 or something. Pale Fire way down there.

Not sure why you making shit up m8!

Click on the link maybe? You probably had 20th century confused with all time or something.

>19 year old mad he doesn't get nabokov

I understood every part of the book and all of it was entirely unnecessary.

Yep.

::takes lap::

Read Pale Fire brah, it's awesome. Textbook Nabokov precision with some beguiling literary who's who

SAID user WITH NO SPINE

GO BACK 2 WIKIPEDIA

If I had no spine I wouldn't be alive and wouldn't be able to post on Veeky Forums.

r u hitting on me or are you running extra around the track?

Maybe I just dissed you beyond ur comprehension, ever think about that

Wow, you didn't even understand my post.

user, you are being very quick to dismiss Nabokov's (highly praised) works. Are you sure it's not possible that you didn't misunderstand his intentions?

Also please read his MO (Lo) before painting a full picture of him

Damn, you are on a level higher than me senpai, teach me.

I know aesthetics/appreciation of artwork is subject, but you're objectively wrong, even though there's likely nothing I could say to dissuade you

tap out dude
maybe try pnin or an earlier novel? :)

I'll only read more Nabokov if I can get it for free or for very little money. I was hesitant to spend so much on Pale Fire considering how short it is, but only did so because of the praise it's received. Now I wish I had gotten Mason & Dixon instead.

Fuck. Scratch the word didn't

Wait you actually think spending $15 on a book is a lot?

This is Veeky Forums, they don't have jobs. lel

>considering how short it is

user, you didn't only read the poem right, you read the 'introduction' and 'notes' too, correct? It is (if I recall) pretty standard in length at ~300 pages.

Imagine not being able to appreciate the best writer of the last 100 years because you had to pay a chipotle burrito in dollars to get one of his books

And you only know one language and he knows like 3 or more

I got the complete works of John Milton, Edward Young, Thomas Gray, James Beattie, and William Collins for less than that, so yes.

Yes, I did. The poem was the best part, though the fourth canto was horrible. But considering the above, $16 for a 300 page book is pretty steep, especially considering the poor quality of the paper and the printing.

hm where are there free books to borrow
and if they don't let you in your school library, every nabokov is about 4 dollars used, and every used bookstore with even a semi decent selection will have some of his works

why are you buying new books if that matters so much to you??

>And you only know one language
Where are you getting this from ?

I'm just guessing, you know the odds are on my side, you're being deliberately obtuse

ONLY ON Veeky Forums PEOPLE WOULD ARGUE NABOKOV IS NOT A GREAT AUTHOR

K
Y
S

I was at the store looking for The Tunnel but found out that it's out of print and that I have to order it online, so I decided to get Pale Fire so I would have something to read while waiting for it in the mail.

But I was born to a German mother and American father and have been speaking both languages my entire life. I'm also currently learning Spanish.

If he was such an objectively great author, then why didn't I enjoy Pale Fire ? I was really expecting to love it and read with a positive outlook, but I just couldn't find anything about it that made it stand out. It was just pointless.

tbf, nabokov was the king of shitting on whatever beloved author for his own dumb 50% of the time unfair reasons and sticking to it
he had taste though

i didn't read it but he was all about the 'feeling in the spine'. he had diff goals than you, i guess. he despised HH despite writing a novel about him

>he was all about the 'feeling in the spine'.
Do you mean aesthetic ? Because Joyce was a lot better at that.

Than me? I am not the Pale Fire hater

I'm mostly referring to him beating up on poor Henry James for the unfair part.

google it, or read the essay in the intro to his lectures on literature which is where I believe the quote originally appeared

Pale Fire is great, but it's also grating so I can see why someone would hate it if they didn't have the patience for the game Nabokov was playing with it.

Nabokov is also a top proto-troll, keep that in mind with his criticisms.

>If pizza is such an objectively great food, then why didn't I enjoy it

I can't tell whether you're arguing or agreeing with me.

Trying to characterize your position to the point that you can see that it is fallacious.

When an author is heralded as "Great", this is not a promise that every single individual who reads him/her will agree, but that 99/100 will (assuming they have the requisite foundational knowledge), and your insurgency doesn't undermine the aforementioned propositional 'truth' that the author is great.

But my position isn't fallacious. I'm trying to argue that no author is objectively great and you are failing to refute that. If not everyone enjoys something then it can't be universally accepted as good.

Go read bob the builder or whatever u like

But I like Ulysses not Bob the Builder.

See the second paragraph of >When an author is heralded as "Great", this is not a promise that every single individual who reads him/her will agree, but that 99/100 will ...

Oh I tried to read it and it was just stream of consciousness bullshit to me, maybe we are just two different species

Nabokov's lecture on Ulysses is nice :)

oh no
I hate Veeky Forums :(

why?

is never seeing the internet and the current year a curse or a blessing?

I think there's something for everyone in the book, but almost nobody is going to like every part of it. The Wandering Rocks chapter is the most accessible of the ones I've read so far. It's almost like a mini-Dubliners.

dont talk about joyce in my nabokov thread

bump

Are you autistic or just insufferably pedantic?

it's Veeky Forums bro, the answer is both

Wouldn't Joyce having #4 and #5 be more impressive than someone having #1 and #10? 7+6=13 > 1+10=11

>tfw reading with my stomach

learn steno you idiots

all fiction is for gay idiots who try really hard to 'express themselves' because they're too weak and self important to work a real job being the greatest author on earth is like being the best finger painter or the best curator of feminist postcards celebrating lesbians wearing boots it's not an achievement it just means you're a feminised sentimental girl-man-baby who can't into reality because 'science is fedora but "uggghh feelings!" shit is good" fucking idiots lol you're all shit ideologue faggots tell me more about how you've mastered mental gymnastics to convince yourself your preferences and beliefs are 'like totally objective' and others aren't lolol also lolita and therefore nabakov is just edge before people knew about edge it's novel and innovative maybe but it's not good in anyway unless you're into that gay shit so fuck nabakov and fuck all pedo apologists

You saying a gold medal is worth as much as a participation award?

guys I'm sorry for making this thread I was drunk

moderator please delet

looks like someone got rejected by too many publishers