what's kino

it's a gambling game where ou buy tickets and pick numbers. it has poor odds

the next step

lel
No, it's a no-carb diet, kind of like paleo but slightly less obnoxious

It's an especially obnoxious pseud-signal that's gained recent popularity

i like calling them pictures

Not even close

there would be no way to make an equivalent in any other media, only the novel can do what what ulysses does

well have you seen it?

Comparing two mediums is a pointless exercise.

Which makes sense, because nobody here exercises.

Yes

What is some essential kino?

i haven't watched a kino, cinema, film, movie, flick or television in almost 3 years, can you please explain the 4?

Are there any screenplays that you would say have as much literary merit as a classic play from the canon?

if a movie has a screenplay it probably isnt very good

Its a joke about malick's films being shit. It makes sense once you become familiar with the plebs that inhabit /tv/ and think Taranino's technically profecient fan fiction is the height of artistic expression.

A neologism and a slang word in /tv/ denoting jokingly films that are supposedly the most artistically impressive.

I dont think its fair to compare them. Movie screenplays have a different purpose. They are a blueprint for a final product wihc is very different than a theater play.

Clearly you haven't seen histoire(s) or read ulysses (most likely both) if you think that they are in any way comparable.

Stylistically the closest is Alexei German's 'Khrustalyov, My Car!'

What he does with cinematic language is not all too different from Joyce's manipulation of the written word

Why are they not comparable? What is so great about ulysses?
It was greta for its time, now it hold nothing more than historic value which is why we dotn see anything like it being published. Not because people cant write that way but because it was a piece that fit its times and epitomizes a sort of peak of a certain writing style.
Adoring ulysses is much like claiming neoclassical architecture nd art is superior to modern or post modern art. Everythng has its place and time. Listening to the reviews of all sorts of oppinion makers is simply appealing to them as authority figures because they are embedded within academic structures and enjoy the prestige of these power structures.
It only shows one's inability to truly appreciate art, resolving to simply praising what was aknowledged as good in the past.

TLDR, you are a pseud.

>I'm counting on the people not having seen the movie and not recognizing my bullshit
What exactly does he do that's similar to Joyce's style?

Is it different though? Theatre is very much written to be performed in most cases. Certainly in its early days (cinema is a young medium)

They are not comparable because historie(s) is a non-narrative meta essay on the relation between the cinematic medium, fine arts and contemporary history of the western world, whereas Ulysses isn't that.

If you wanted a literary equivalent of Godard's movie it's Voices of Silence by Malraux.

tl;dr you're a retard

"Cinematic language"

Oh lord.

Yes, that is true and in no way opposing what i have written.

Film theory is so cucked by literary theory, it's unbelievable. It's a totally different medium but they can't stop going on about "cinematic language" and "cinematic grammar". It's embarrassing actually

It's hard to describe because it is such a purely cinematic technique he employs
The blend of the kinetically smooth by temporally chaotic camera movement, coupled with the choir of hushed actors whispers running over each other creates something that just reminded me a lot of Joyce when I watched it
Watch it, it's only 2 hours long, you won't regret it
>

I have seen it, you can safely assume that you are the only person who sees Ulysses in drunk russians and buttrape.

Well I think it does oppose your assertion that there is a significant difference and your assertion that a text which is meant to be performed isn't worth studying (if you accept the latter point you wouldn't believe the Greek tragedian a are worth studying, since they certainly weren't considering their texts as worth any consideration except as a means to an end)

in which case "the ulysses of film" would be a film which does which only film can do. but in that case every action movie would seem to qualify. something more rigorous is required, but i do not claim to know what it is.

>Veeky Forums trying to discuss kino
loving every laugh

I spoke to another guy about it before and he thought the same

Those terms are incredibly apt for what they mean when they say them though. Why come up with different words when something immediately understandable would do?

>cucked
>pants on head retarded opinion
everything checks out

Kino means movie in russian. /tv/ picked it up from Dziga Vertov's writings and use it mostly for old european arthouse

Malick is great.

Can anyone help me find an english sub version of the whole thing? Bonus points if the version isn't complete shit in video quality.

it doesnt exist

I heard there's a good one on karagarga but I don't and never iwll have an account there

?
yes it does
google around

there's publicly available links out there, literally just google it

theres a fine quiality one

complete subs do not exist tho, i have the kg copy