ITT:

ITT:
Textbooks that made you feel like a brainless twat

I've never encountered a "book" made of a sequence of articles by different authors like that, which I liked.
And especially if it's about branes, you need not feel bad for being lost as each author will assume a different background. And the supersymmetry signs will always be wrong.

Why is that? Apart from my never being happy with the treatment of more philosophical aspects of GR, like the equivalence principle, I think Wald is a good read.

On that topic: I'm interested in the expression of the derivative of a vector in curvelinear coordinates. That is...
In Euclidean space, if

[math] {\bf x} (t) = \sum_{ i=1 }^n x^i(t) {\bf e}_i (t) [/math]

you have

[math] \dfrac {\partial } {\partial t} {\bf x} (t) = \sum_{i=1}^n \left( \left ( \dfrac {\partial } {\partial t} x^i (t) \right){ \bf e}_i (t) + x^i (t) \dfrac {\partial } {\partial t} {\bf e}_i (t) \right) [/math]

And I'm looking for that general expression (and in fact the second derivative too) for a setting where the inner product is a general Riemannian metric g, with all em Christoffels and whatnot. Is it maybe even in that book?

>p-adic teichmuller uniformization of complex riemann surfces
>for dummies

AHHHHHHH

>tfw 3rd year physics undergrad at UC
>tfw Wald taught GR for the last 2 years and probably won't teach it again for the next 2 years so I'll never have a chance to take Wald's GR.
I'm still not over it.

To be fair, Kittel is probably the worst book on solid state physics ever written.

I have this as my course book for my first ever glance into solid state. Are there better books?

IS there one like this but for mathematics?

Haha

>taking care of myself
kek

Ashcroft and Mermin my friend

I think Walds book is great.

Audit the course later you fucktard

i've never understood the concept of a mental block before trying to study electronics. It's so abstract and difficult to visualise properly

>I've never encountered a "book" made of a sequence of articles by different authors like that, which I liked.

Its hard because it jumps around so much, but that is just because of the nature of the topic. The book's goal is to describe both SYZ and Homlogical Mirror Symmetry.

The former involving a lot of geometric analysis, while the latter is essentially a statement of an equivalence between the complex and symplectic geometry of a calabi-yau in terms of certain infinity-categories.

Also Mirror Symmetry really can't be motivated without discussed of the topological A&B models for superstring theory. So the book has to discuss that too.

Man, I thought my analysis book was a hard read.

It's a good book but it's mostly for reference.

I've heard Halmos' Measure Theory is supposed to be hard

Elementary Solid State Physics: Principles and Applications by M. Ali Omar (out of print)
The Oxford Solid State Basics by Steven H. Simon

Seconding Oxford Solid State Basics for a first exposure, good job of staying interesting while also an easy read that covers the basic material.