Alright, sci, I've been studying physics throughout highschool and part of college...

Alright, sci, I've been studying physics throughout highschool and part of college. I'm in my second year as an undergrad and I'm having trouble understanding the teaching methods behind maxwells equations. Pretty much Ive only learned the integral form of his equations, my college was easy so it was just plug and chug. No real integration or though behind it. I

later I transferred into a STEM-based school and found their text book that approaches maxwells equations from the differential form (del operator), the textbook blew me away in terms of shit i didn't know and now I'm confused.

Textbook: Electricity and Magnetism - Edward Purcell

Why are we taught the integral form first? Whats the difference in thought behind them? And at what point in College should I be able to do del and curl stuff?

tl;dr Ive only learned integral form of maxwells eq, now ive seen the differential form. Why teach it like that and do i stick with one form or switch?

Other urls found in this thread:

math.ubc.ca/~feldman/m317/vectorId.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't know, I've been taught the differential form first.

When you learned it, was it single variable or did you differentiate along x,y,z?

Our professor explained to us that Cartesians coordinates were not worth the hassle. We would always work in spherical coordinates, with symmetries and invariances so that only "r" would change.

So yes, it was single-variable in a way.

t. engineer

Liberal arts college really screwed me over on this one....

Alright thats another thing I have yet to get into. Im taking calc 3 next semester, is that my missing piece?

i think the integral forms are easier to compute initially (dl, E, ds etc usually come out as constants) and they give more of an insight into what's actually happening in specific problems

the differential forms give you more of an insight into the general nature of EM and also require more vector calculus

I don't know what "calc 3" is, sorry.
I'd say that it's vital to know how to switch from Cartesian to Spherical, it's vital to know how to derive the unitary vectors of Spherical coordinates. Having a good sense of geometry helps a lot, since there are symmetries everywhere.

As for calculus, you need to know how to do flux integrals and line integrals, plus a good deal of vector analysis, especially if you go into waves.

makes sense, when did the transition happen from one to the other? freshman/sophomore year?

So then do you use spherical coordinates for each law? Or just Guass's laws for electricity and magnetism?

Spherical coordinates for Electric field in electrostatic.
Cylindrical coordinates for Magnetic field in magnetostatic.

I took the class quite a long time ago, so I don't really remember what happens when you combine the two, sorry.

Ok gotcha, looks like I gotta study up before I get rekt. Thanks

quaternion is the only way to understand Maxwell's equations.
The inherent rotations and torques involved in magnetic field interactions require it

Isnt this just unit vectors and cross products?

Well, just look into the divergence theorem and stokes theorem and you'll see that the integral and differential form are the same. This is something you should be able to do in 2nd year of uni.

Start with some 2D vector calculus first, you'll need it to proof greens theorem, which you can use to proof stokes theorem.
Some topics:
- Vector fields, scalar fields
- Nabla operator (gradient, curl, divergence, ...)
- Vector identities and properties math.ubc.ca/~feldman/m317/vectorId.pdf
- Helmholtz decomposition of a vector field
- Line integrals
- Surface integrals
- Greens theorem
- Stokes theorem
- Volume integrals
- Divergence theorem

Maxwell equations are really beautiful when you understand the math behind them.

Basically this. It's worth it to derive the differential form yourself from the integral form and it is pretty easy as well. I really like Griffith's book. He builds these things from the ground up using the most basic experimental results.

Integral and differential forms are completely interchangeable. Somewhere in that book it should tell you exactly how to do it. You may not understand it at first, due to inexperience with multivariable/vector calc and stokes/divergence theorems. Just pick up a multivariable/vector calc textbook from the library and look up del identities (there's two in particular you will need), and the aforementioned theorems. After a good while, if you're not mathematically retarded (I'm assuming you're not by this stage), you will be bale to understand and change between them like it's second nature. Understanding them conceptually may be more challenging though, and you will need to do physics problems in order to get a better grasp. Remember, understanding always takes time and persistence, but you know dat orgasm feel when you conquer something that previously perplexed you. Keep at it, user.

Combine the two and use rectilinear I think.

Griffiths also has a chapter devoted to multivariable calculus that might be helpful.

That's because for time independent fields, electric fields are divergent (diverginging from a single point--spherical) and magnetic fields are divergenceless with curl (curling around a line makes a cylinder). Of course, there are plenty of charge and current distributions in which these won't be good choices.

We are able to see which coordinate system to use because we thought about the differential form.

Yeah, that was one of the few things I memorised.
The other is that electrical fields are "1/r^2" fields and magnetic fields are '"1/r".

>Why are we taught the integral form first

Because charged point particles necessitates the use of delta functions / distributions to describe them.

>freshman, sophomore, etc
you americants and your retard terms are so cute

It's the integral form that has physical meaning. The physical consept of a flux can be expressed mathematically using area integral.

If you don't know multivariable, you won't know vector calculus well enough to understand the way of transforming the integral form into the differential form.

If you begin with Coloumb's law and the principal of superposition, the integral form is the intermediate step to deriving the differential form. There is probably some way around that to get the differential form first, but it would be much more difficult.