Anyone else here who is an extremely slow reader...

Anyone else here who is an extremely slow reader? I can only get through 5-10 pages an hour and half of what I read escapes my mind right away. I think I might have ADD.

Other urls found in this thread:

readingsoft.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I think you might be retarded.

I've considered that, but it seems pretty unlikely.

At this point you're probably better off with audiobooks

how do you even use the internet

does it take you a year to read the first page

What books have you actually completed?
How long?

>yfw OP is still reading your reply

How much time per day do you spend on the net ?

Had the same problem. Remember than reading is like anything else, to be more efficient, you have to practice.

Btw, maybe the books you are currently reading are not as interesting as you expected them to be ?

kek'd

Yeah I'm fucking slow too because I'm rather on the internet than read for hours on end.

I can read the internet just fine, which kinda puzzles me. Most content I consume is short and has a lot of facts summed up quickly though, like Wikipedia.

I do like reading books, I just have a lot of trouble getting through them. Some random books I've read are Fahrenheit 451, Slaughterhouse five, House on the Borderlands, The Way of Men and On the Genealogy of Morals. I got through all of them, it just took me an ungodly amount of time.

>Btw, maybe the books you are currently reading are not as interesting as you expected them to be ?
Even if I find them interesting I suck at reading, the books I was forced to read in highschool took me about as long as an interesting book of equal length takes me now.

I spend a lot of time on the internet, I'm a NEET at the moment.

So maybe your problem starts here (I've been a NEET too, two years ago).

You took the habit to read all sort of short content, so diving into a long text is more difficult because habitually rou attention jumps quickly from one thing to another and doesn't stay focused on one thing for long.

This is one of the problems with a big internet use, and many people that I know IRL or via Internet are "victims" of this phenomenon, from their own words.

>rou attention

I mean "your attention".

Not at all, but I do get bored after an hour, hour and a half regardless of how exciting or interesting the book is.

What's some good music to listen to while reading books to help me keep reading?

You can try either classical or IDM music (Boards of Canada, ambient works of Aphex Twin and/or Autechre), that's what I use sometimes, but I rarely listen to music while reading. I generally avoid music with lyrics, instrumental helps more to focus (especially with low volume).

I hope it will help.

Fuck background music or feeling bad. Be brutally honest and realise that if a book is boring then it's boring.

>I can read the internet just fine, which kinda puzzles me.

Yeah this means that you probably don't actually have that slow of a reading speed, you just have a hard time concentratin (which results in slow reading when you keep spacing out). Really all you can do there is practice reading long form more frequently (find a set time to read daily or something). Make sure you find books you're really interested, not just ones you feel like you "should" like. Stick with easy books for now because it will be easier to stay focused. After a while your brain should get used to focusing on long form text rather than the constant jumping around of the internet. Good luck.

Source: Used to think I was an extremely slow reader, and had trouble reading any books ever.

Dude just read more and don't give up
Say "I'm getting through this chapter"
Then say "I'm getting through this next one"
And don't stop until you do
Then keep doing this, every time

>implying books aren't all boring m8 u can't lern lief properly thru books u faget

But desu I generally read the first hundred pages. If I still bored at this point, I close the book and I start another one. Simple as that.

Basically music that's pleasant but at the same time "white noise" to you. Jazz works well for me.

You read 100 pages of a book you don't like? Damn that sounds like a waste of time (unless you're a really fast reader or something).

Truth.

Also, your u could potentially use some o the mindset you use to browse the internet in reading. If it's non-fiction (or even some fiction books) feel free to skim through things you don't find interesting.

Try to immerse yourself in the book so that reading on just feels natural.

Keep a book on you constantly (if you carry a backpack anyway) and instead of checking your phone during lulls just read a page or two. This should help remove the mental barrier that makes it feel like a big deal when you pick up a book. Make it as natural as flipping through your phone.

At least to form a more or less complete opinion on what I read. A hundred pages is my threshold to determine if what I read is totally worthless, mediocre, or containing something worthy despite a poor style, etc.

>I can only get through 5-10 pages an hour and half
Do you have downs? That is like 25 words per minute.

Do this and report back

readingsoft.com/

For Tolkien works I've mostly used Burzum's The Ways of Yore and for Lolita I went with Igorrr. So that depends on the book. Honestly I can't understand why anyone would listen to power metal while reading LOTR.

Depends on how small the font is and on the distractions. When my cat is being an asshole it takes sometimes like 5 minutes per page.

I go like 1 min per page. Its this a bad thing?

Nothing wrong with taking your time, but if you take your time AND forget what you read, you have brain problems. Which makes sense considering you posted a frog.

My capacity to retain information from reading is fucking awful. My process is as follows:

>Read kinda slowly
>Annotate and dog-eat the fuck out of whatever seems important as I go
>Pick out the best quotations
>Stick them in a Word document
>Organize/systematize them
>Ctrl+f whatever quotations I'm looking for at any one time, utilizing my vague recollection of the quotation in question to find them

It took me forever to get through Kaufmann's Portable Nietzsche.

>Will to System

Shit nigga, read Nietzsche again.

It took me 6 hours over the course of 2 days to read "Dick and Jane"

I'll do this then.

Yeah, and it frustrates me because there's so much material I want to read. I think persistence, practice, genuine interest, and freedom from distraction are all key.

I have ADD and I can read twenty five pages an hour, give or take. I also remember most everything, and anything I forgot I tend to recall later anyway. It's not the ADD, man.

Internet is ruining people's ability to read full paragraphs and long form.

I used to be able to read for hours. Now I start literally falling asleep after 15 minutes of a difficult text. What happened?

If you weren't retarded you wouldn't be on this site

just read for (more than three) hours
and trust yourself that you don't need to check every single unimportant detail

That's the only kind of music I ever listen to LOL. It's the only good kind of music. All other music is bad.

Anyone else here with internal monologue succeeded in suppressing your innate desire to vocalize the narration and dialogue in your head? It totally fucks up my reading speed, my mind actually changes the tone and enunciation of my monologue to fit what I'm reading.