/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread | QTDDTOT

Previous thread: How much prior physics do you need to start in on studying quantum mechanics (not just the memes, but serious study) ?

Other urls found in this thread:

abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=120095
askamathematician.com/2010/10/q-in-the-nec-faster-than-light-experiment-did-they-really-make-something-go-faster-than-light/
youtube.com/channel/UCtwKon9qMt5YLVgQt1tvJKg
youtube.com/watch?v=41r3kKm_FME
youtube.com/watch?v=JbCM3f0ofW4
youtube.com/watch?v=VdjYVF4a6iU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No prior physics.

Lots of prior math.

Is it possible for me to swap uni's during the bachelor years?
If not, would it be possible for me to do my masters in a different uni after I've finished my bachelor in one uni?

kinda starting to get it

wouldnt mind a bit of clarity though

>Is it possible for me to swap uni's during the bachelor years?
yes

>If not, would it be possible for me to do my masters in a different uni after I've finished my bachelor in one uni?
this is also possible

Would there exist a list of mathematical topics anywhere?

what are you even asking? 2 obviously isnt less than 1

what does 'set of upper bounds of empty set in X' even mean?

why can i cum twice in like 5 minutes?

does the body really start remaking semen that quickly or does the body willfully not ejaculate all that you have stored up?

someone in the last thread posted refractary period but that seems more about orgasm than ejaculation

[math]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} = e^x[/math]
How would I say this?
I just finished Calc2 and I understand what it means but I couldn't actually say this in regular speech

lefthandside is the taylor expansion of e^x

Yes, I understand that, but how would I say that?
Like if I wanted somebody else to write out this equation what would I tell them

Word for word: the sum from n=0 to infinity of x to the n over n factorial

Or what said.

'sum from n equals 0 to infinity of x to the n over n factorial equals e to the x'

the sum where the summing index n goes from 0 to infinity of x to the n-th power divided by n factorial equals e to the x?

Is this any good ? I like when I read it, I do a few problems here and there but it seems rather light on the maths.

bueno

linear algebra, differential equations, integral calculus, basic chemistry knowledge, and during the course you'll learn about operators and other things like that which are important for understanding QM.

yes

The sum, for n going from 0 to infinity, of x to the power of n divided by (I also say "on") n factorial.

introductory physics is light on math, dont worry.

That guys retarded. You need to know classical mechanics, electrodynamics, complex analysis, and algebra to learn graduate level quantum mechanics.

So I got cheated in my grad algebra class and never learned about modules.

Is their anything significant I'm missing that wouldn't be covered in the theory of vector spaces? I understand ideals can be thought of as modules, which makes module theory appealing for talking about ideals and vector spaces at the same time.

Any books you guys would recommend to get me up to speed?

>set of upper bounds of empty set in X
an example of a set of upper bound of a subset Y in a set X
X={1,2,3,4,5,6} Y={1,2}
the set of upper bounds of Y in X is {2,3,4,5,6}
as clearly these elements are all larger than or equal to all elements of Y

the least of all of these upper bounds (often called the supremum) is 2

now repeat with Y= empty set and X={1,2}

then trivially the set of upper bounds of the empty set is X and the set of lower bounds is also X

What are some good books on the history of geology? Most of what I find are textbooks but would like a better narrative. I like books that reflect on man's early scientific attempts to explain the earth and that cover major events, people, and their ideas.

I have a bit of prior experience with proofs and I would like to improve, do you guys think it's a good idea to go through Linear Algebra Done Right in order to improve?
I don't know almost anything linear algebra besides some computational sutff with matrices

how'd you cheat?

now back to comparing the least of all upper bounds, and the largest lower bound

there is no contradiction for non-empty subsets

there's no contradiction for empty sets either

so is the problem notation?

or is 2 less than or equal to 1

where do you get 2 less than or equal to 1 from?

transitivity of the binary relation

im guessing the problem is notation

why does transitivity give you it? can you explain clearly why youre getting 2

the empty set isnt a number so you cant say 2

i think it is common notation to compare an element and a (sub)set in such a way

only this notation isnt necessarily the same as the binary operation

why does the stress decrease at the necking section of this graph? surely as the area decreases the stress should increase? Am i missing something basic

I'm pretty stupid but I want to do something STEM. My college only offers civil and electrical engineering. I'm more interested in electrical engineering. What should I start studying to prepare myself? I'm a freshman btw.

Pic mildly related: I'm autistic enough to play this piece of shit game so maybe i'm autistic enough to actually learn something useful instead.

Stop thinking that "being enthusiastic about something" is equivalent to autism, it will only hamper your advancements in whichever field of study you want to take.

That's an engineering stress-strain plot where everything is measured relative to original dimensions. If you were to look at a true stress-strain plot, the plot would be always increasing.

either watch some ocw lectures or make a project that interests you, something like a simple programming project or soldering project will be rather helpful.

It's just Veeky Forums terminology, user. Anyways, how much of a role does inherent potential have? How true is it that anyone is capable as long as they're willing to study/apply themselves? I've gone my entire life being told that, but I'm curious as to how true it actually is. I don't want to waste time and money attempting something that I lack the intellectual capacity for.

it doesnt sound very common or logical

you can compare elements to elements or sets to sets but not elements to sets

Can anyone recommend a good C IDE that runs on Windows 10?

QM is very math intensive. You will need at least up to 2nd year math and 3rd year physics to make a good stab at it. If you want; I could make a list of rough topics that will help greatly to prepare you for it.

I have a stupid question, Veeky Forums:
I have a few meshes that I want to calculate / simulate a few things on. I have been looking without much success for a program that can calculate principal axes of rotation (at least) and preferably simulate a rotating body
Also, I need a program that can simulate a falling body with enough fluid dynamics or mimicry of fluid dynamics to simulate wind resistance. I'd been looking at a few solvers that I'm not sure have these capabilities but don't really want to commit to anything shitty and have to start over again.

Does anyone know of any software that can do these things?

being obsessed with arbitrary and non immediately real object is autism user, high end math people are anomalies and equating them to autism is fair.

Textbooks/books to start studying physics?

Also what are you reading in your downtime Veeky Forums?

Yes both of these are possible and if you are thinking of going to a more prestigious university I would wait until grad school as undergrad uni does not matter too much for grad applications as long as you get good recs and do well

Is it necessary to take Linear Algebra for EE? My uni doesn't require it but I've seen others do. Im done with all other required math classes and can just take it as a technical elective to count towards my major still

Someone help please

is oxygen plant poop

Did I win the thread yet?

If a patient with Crohn's Disease became infected with HIV/AIDS, would that have the effect of mitigating their Crohn's Disease?

> Using an IDE for C

>Yep. Come at me.

To really begin understanding quantum theory, you need a good background in the Hamiltonian formulation of classical mechanics, including canonical variables, Poisson algebras, Hamilton Jacobi theory, etc.

You also need a very good background in linear algebra, since the quantization of quantum mechanics involves mapping classical variables and functions (like canonical variables and Hamiltonians) to linear operators on complex vector spaces.

Some Fourier analysis couldn't hurt either.

What is the practical use of moles and molarity? I don't even remember what the latter is. It's been almost a decade since I took chemistry and I need to know some basics.

Easy way to work with quantities in terms of number of atoms/molecules

a binary relation ~ on a set is just a subset of the set's cartesian product with itself

comparing two elements is just checking if their ordered pair is in this subset ~

then comparing an element with a subset X would just be checking if all relevant ordered pairs are a subset of the binary relation ~

an example is finding the largest and smallest element of the whole set, using the whole set as the subset X

>then comparing an element with a subset X would just be checking if all relevant ordered pairs are a subset of the binary relation ~
and there are no relevant ordered pairs when X is empty, because theres nothing to compare to

and the empty set(no relevant pairs) is a subset of ~

this comparison is weaker than a binary relation

idk man you seem confused about what you're even trying to accomplish, i'd recommend not comparing elements to sets

I maintain that my first quarter of quantum mechanics was the absolute hardest class I ever took in university. (Chemical engineer, top 10 public university in the usa)

I'd recommend that you've completed calculus in entirety (differential, integral, multivariate, probably vector), ordinary differential equations, one semester of classical mechanics (intro physics), up to a year of general chemistry, and possibly a semester of programming depending on your university.

If all you seek is a conceptual understanding, wikipedia and other online sources are surprisingly thorough for a lay men's take.

its useful shorthand

particularly for bounds of non-empty subsets

you probably shouldnt use

How do I learn multiplication?

Flashcards are probably your best bet (for up to, say 12*12). After you know the basic multiplication table on the back of your hand, learn how to do long multiplication. Then it's just a matter of doing a shit ton of calculations while learning other things (algebra, probably, or geometry) until you gain fluency.

Stupid question.

What kind of advances in technology in all sectors can I expect in 2017?

How to layout resume as sophomore looking for engineering internship?

You may want to try complete sentences and proper grammar, firstly.

be sure to include how many dicks you've sucked. experience counts at the higher levels

virtual waifu and fuck-tech.

How to try to complete sentences and proper grammar?

Ok, so we all know that the universe is continuously expanding faster and faster, but in a way that the distance between any two particles grows at the same speed.

But what if the universe is not actually expanding, but everything inside of it is just getting continuously smaller?

I'm going into my 3rd year of a physics major. I seem to be able to do physics problems, but I don't think I really understand the physics. I get the math (or am able to perform calculations at least) but I don't think I really have a physical intuition to look at the world and at nature and see how things work and how they are related and so on and so forth.

How do I remedy this?

do insects feel pain?

Unless you're Richard Feynman, developing a "physical intuition" will only prohibitively slow you and cause you to struggle to pick up new crazy theories anyway.

Just keep going with the math. Most of the pop science fans who spout all the "le no-one understands quantum mechanics XD" memes are doing it because they're trying to build some sort of intuitive mental model with rock solid discrete billiard balls that bounce of each other instead of just relying on the mathematics.

Modern physics is too abstract for physical intuition, we say "shut up and calculate" for a reason.

visualize (or draw) a number on the number line. if you multiply it by 2, it gets 2 times as far away from zero. try different numbers and multiply them with different numbers to see the relation.

Is there any sense in which one construction of the reals is "better" than the other?

In my real analysis course, they're using Dedekind cuts. Is there value in learning how they construct them other ways, or is learning it just this one way for my first time through real analysis fine?

the first commercial payment cards with flexible fingerprint scanners on them

I'd say learning multiple ways of constructing [math]\mathbb{R}[/math] is useful for mathematical maturity. There's a way that uses the set [math}QC,[/math] which is the set of all Cauchy sequences whose elements are all in [math]\mathbb{Q}.[/math] If you decide to learn both, your mathematical maturity will go up.

atiyah-macdonald

Ok, really stupid question. What does my picture mean?

I know about sums but that is not the usual notation and while d and N are both natural numbers (in this context), I have reasons to believe that this does not just denote the sum from d to N of some expression.

>implying quantum mechanics is graduate level
Fucking lel

sum of every divisor d of N

i.e if N=6 then you sum over 1,2,3,6

Oh, that makes sense. Thank you.

It can be... my uni has graduate level QM. However, OP is most likely referring to undergrad level.

Is I-section beam symmetrical or unsymmetrical?

What's the specific term for the sectioned part of the circle highlighted in red?

circular segment

abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=120095

is this real

no

askamathematician.com/2010/10/q-in-the-nec-faster-than-light-experiment-did-they-really-make-something-go-faster-than-light/

and it's pissing me off that it says "july 19" implying it's from 2016 but it's actually from 2000

How did you get started with Dwarf Fortress?

How does one prove that if x^2+y^2 is even then x+y is even?
It seems to be self-evident (from the property of addition and multiplication of even numbers), but I have no idea how to construct a proper proof because I'm an idiot.

i just finished a bachelor's in mechanical engineernig.

i'm unsatisfied with my education, and I want to learn more about math and physics (modern physics and engineering mechanics).

what books do you guys suggest I study?

I just had some 3d data that I represented with a 2d plot of colored data

what happens if we take 4d geometry and represent it as 3d colored data

I guess the problem then could be that data could interesect (multiple points with same x,y,z) but for some data maybe these interesections would not ruin it completely

x has the same parity as x^2 (x = x^2 mod 2)
y has the same parity as y^2 (y= y^2 mod 2)

so x^2+y^2 being even means both x^2 and y^2 have the same parity (x^2 = y^2 mod 2)

so x and y have the same parity (x= y mod 2)

so x+y is even

Thanks, fellow stranger

High school education here, didn't take 'precalc' or study math seriously at all.
Where/how do I get gud at just reading even the symbols used for math beyond x=3+y? I know some of the names but I picked up a random higher level book (calculus with analytic geometry) and was completely baffled seeing the first page. literally where does one start with this whole field?

after I get my EE degree I will get a comfy EE job and buy some nice lab equipment and start working on projects

you can really do absolutely anything you want. You have the capacity to become any of the old obscure science dudes you hear about on this channel

youtube.com/channel/UCtwKon9qMt5YLVgQt1tvJKg

Do something like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=41r3kKm_FME
(he's laying out the pcb for a slowmo camera he designed himself)
youtube.com/watch?v=JbCM3f0ofW4
youtube.com/watch?v=VdjYVF4a6iU

start a simple website where you post descriptions/pictures of your projects

Thanks user. It would be cool to have a youtube channel/ website where I document my projects.