What is momentum?

What is momentum?

p = mv

Where p is my penis and mv is your mom's vagina.

You know when you fuck a girl and her moaning seems to increase as you stroke harder and harder? That's a good idea of what momentum is.

Fucking hell this is such an obvious joke and it's the first time I hear it. Almost fell of my chair.
t.PhD in theoretical phyisics.

Your penis is equal to his mom's vagina? I'm so sorry... dude?

Momentum is the conjugate space of position. Or, if you like, the link between mass-energy and velocity (scaled with c).

an arbitrary word used to describe the product of mass and velocity

Photons are massless yet have momentum. Get wrecked.

They have a rest mass of zero negro. They have a relativistic mass though.

In classical mechanics, linear momentum, translational momentum, or simply momentum (SI unit kg m/s) is the product of the mass and velocity of an object, quantified in kilogram-meters per second. It is dimensionally equivalent to impulse, the product of force and time, quantified in newton-seconds. Newton's second law of motion states that the change in linear momentum of a body is equal to the net impulse acting on it. For example, a heavy truck moving rapidly has a large momentum, and it takes a large or prolonged force to get the truck up to this speed, and would take a similarly large or prolonged force to bring it to a stop. If the truck were lighter, or moving more slowly, then it would have less momentum and therefore require less impulse to start or stop.
Like velocity, linear momentum is a vector quantity, possessing a direction as well as a magnitude:
[math]\displaystyle \mathbb {p}=m\mathbb {v} [/math],
where p is the three-dimensional vector stating the object's momentum in the three directions of three-dimensional space, v is the three-dimensional velocity vector giving the object's rate of movement in each direction, and m is the object's mass.Linear momentum is also a conserved quantity, meaning that if a closed system is not affected by external forces, its total linear momentum cannot change.
In classical mechanics, conservation of linear momentum is implied by Newton's laws. It also holds in special relativity and, with appropriate definitions, a (generalized) linear momentum conservation law holds in electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and general relativity. It is ultimately an expression of one of the fundamental symmetries of space and time, that of translational symmetry.
Linear momentum depends on frame of reference. Observers in different frames would find different values of linear momentum of a system. But each would observe that the value of linear momentum does not change with time, provided the system is isolated.

> being this stupid

>What is e=mc^2?
>What is a photon?

Thats not the full equation retard

What do you mean it's not the full equation? Do you want me to break out the equation for relativistic mass to some how make it more full?

God dammit. Have you spent 10 minutes in any college level physics classroom? They explain all of this.

Do they? Why would you talk about the relativistic mass of a photon. What good does that do anyone? I'm not being an asshole, I'm actually asking. I've never seen anyone talk about that. I've always seen the planck relation used for momentum and energy, but never for relativistic mass

[math]E^2=m0^2c^4+p^2c^2[/math]

There's probably a formulation where this is true. But if there is, then it's stupid and useless.

That's a different formula for energy and it's relationship to momentum, so I don't know what your point is.

m = E/c^2

E and c are both nonzero, so photons have a relativistic mass

give this guy the dunning-kruger prize

I really hate the concept of relativistic mass. You can leave it out of your models and everything still works great and you don't have to think about things like whether or not photons have relativistic mass. Because really, who cares? The only way to derive the relativistic mass of a photon is the way you just did it. Relativistic mass is only good for keeping Newton's second law intact and Newton's second law doesn't apply to photons, so who the fuck cares?

It's not even some crazy thing, it's simple algebra

[math]E = mc^2[/math]
[math]E = pc[/math]
[math]pc = mc^2[/math]
[math]p = mc[/math]

Because it's neat stuff

Can tell you're a virgin.

It's basically like torque, but for forward motion, it's the intensity and determination at which something moved.

No they don't. They have relativistic energy, which is equivalent to mass in relativity, but it is still not mass. Momentum is related to the Energy-momentum tensor, not mass alone. It is more due to mass-energy density flux.

[math]p\in T^{*}Q[/math] where Q is the configuration manifold of the system in question.

Thank you for the review. I honestly appreciated it, user.

Happy new years.

Kek, I just copied and pasted the "summary" from the wikipedia page mate.

A function of mass and velocity.