Just so we're clear, 3D printing is a meme, right?

Just so we're clear, 3D printing is a meme, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18987474
youtube.com/watch?v=SObzNdyRTBs
youtube.com/watch?v=M_qSnjKN7f8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's real and non-trivial user. What's your issue with it?

No, 3D printing is the future, because in the future everything will be made of flimsy plastic.

No

No one has been able to afford it well and has many potential to get more benefits from it or cause lots of damage as well

It's the only technology that makes self-replicating robots possible so it's an inevitability, not a meme

We use them frequently at my engineering company and we do serious industrial automation projects not hipster kickstarter shit.

We use injection molding for the final mass produced products, but its a lot of time ad money to get the factory pumping those out. It's extremely useful to 3D print a few of them first and so you can see how they feel in your hand, bring them to board meetings, make sure your CAD guy wasn't high, etc. Before 3D printers you'd have to pay someone to make an approximate model using clay, cardboard, etc.

Awesome, you just took some people jobs apart, what a bright future

This. Rapid prototyping is not a meme. The ability to rapidly produce shitty plastic models *that are accurate to a CAD drawing, cheaply* is genuinely useful.

Yea, it's just how humanity perished after the Ford assembly line... The only real issue is transportation which you should bitch to Elon musk.

>What do you mean we should use light bulbs? Think of all the candle makers you'll put out of work!

You didn't even use the bright future line.

No. Technology finally eliminating work is a good thing.

It's not that we'll all be in poverty. It's that we won't need to work in order not to be in poverty.

it's a meme for anything useful
if you've ever placed a manufacturing order in shenzhen, 3d printing will save your life
that's about the only use i can think of though

ever reddit tier tech journalist claimed every household would have one within 5 years back in 2011

so yes in that sense they are a meme

based on what I've seen in my unis ME lab I'm not overly impressed with them personally but I guess that doesn't really count

Not a meme, but it has its limitations.

As other anons said, rapid prototyping in 3D printing is valuable. Organ/tissue printing is a type of 3D printing that has some actual realistic potential, and very clear medical benefits in the foreseeable future. 3D printing's limitations is that it's not particularly good in large scale manufacturing compared to other technologies. It's only really good with polymer and gel based manufacturing. That's of course why all the graphene fags go hard about it.

OP here, this is what I meant. Good to know it has actual, reasonable uses but there is too much pop-sci about changing the world for my taste

SLS / SLM are frequently used by big companies like vw or nasa to make prototypes. Definitely not a meme technology.

Works with several metals too. You can make working car parts with 3d print.

This. Plus, when you combine 3d printing with optimization algorithms, we can design and build parts entirely by computer. We could be seeing MASSIVE weight reduction ib the near future.

t. horse carriage driver

what was the first thing you 3d printed, Veeky Forums?

Thanks to /3/

It's pretty fucking useful for developing devices that won't ever enter mass production anyway.

Work is important, not for the economy, but to keep people sane. Office jobs are bad enough, without any purpose at all people will eventually turn to complete shit.

3d printing is awesome OP
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18987474

DUDE 3D PRINTING is a great way to spot someone that's never worked with their hands nor done any real world application of any kind of engineering

>dude you can 3D print A GUN!
You can make a gun with a hammer and a vice. With a $200 drill press you can make an AR15 quite easily
>yeah but 3D PRINTING DUDE what if CRIMINALS used it???!!

>dude there's METAL 3D printing where you could make car parts! I'm gonna get one and print out a Lambergeeny!
You can already build a car with a $300 tube bender and a mig welder. Drunk rednecks have build land speed record holding cars and insane rock buggies with few tools and little knowledge.
>yeah but 3D PRINTING. METAL 3D PRINTING. What about that bro, it's the future!

>extra!
>luddite takes over thread, people under the age of 65 btfo
>we could not reach uncle elmer for questions

Get your head out of your ass. You can't precisely manufacture everything from some wood with a saw and nails.

You can't manufacture OP's faggotry.

We're a long ways from 3D printing being a viable manufacturing technique. High res, high quality printers are EXTREMELY expensive, and even with the most expensive printers, you can't build complicated and reliable parts.

As it stands, 3D printing is good for prototyping, replacement parts, parts that don't require a large factor of safety or precision but still are complex to manufacture, and personal projects. Not much else imo

looks like a weird 3 way ballsack

Define long ways.

20 years?

I think it looks like weird tits

but it's a custom tailored bioegradable scaffold for heart valve tissue engineering

If your fucking tube bender is so great, why does nasa order parts from the company I work at? Checkmate benderfag.

20 years until we see it as a commonplace manufacturing technique. It's still not worthwhile for large-scale, even medium scale because of the investment and speed.

I doubt it will replace usual manufacturing techniques for some time though.

Additive manufacturing is used in high performance turbine blades.

Try calling CNC a meme and you'll be just as wrong.

ITT: /diy/ rants at Veeky Forums

We've used 3d printing to make some custom one-off parts in the lab for various purposes. Took me an hour to mock it up in autocad and ten bucks to print. Would have cost seventy bucks an hour to get a machinist to make it.

>Work is important, not for the economy, but to keep people sane.
We will each find work to keep ourselves occupied, but it won't be menial, soul-crushing labor anymore. Everything will be better.

3d printing IS the future, additive manufacturing they call it
as things get cheaper & faster, you won't need traditional manufacturing techniques

> CNC
> Additive manufacturing
I mean I guess it works, since both are automated, but most people I know refer to CNC machining as the automated milling.

except sintered metals will always be weaker than rolled, punched, molded, and milled metals.
This is basic material science.

For a lot of parts, the flexibility of design added by 3d printing offsets the any material property loss.

There are things you simply cannot make without 3d printing
It makes a complicated design all one piece

At the end of the day you don't need the strongest possible thing, you just need it to be strong enough for its purpose

>It's that we won't need to work in order not to be in poverty.
what did he mean by this?

>powder metallurgy
>turbine blades

RIP aircrew

For building prototypes of plastic/metal shit, no, it's been its primary use since the 80's.
For fucking around and having fun? I'd call that a meme, because it's at the pointless hobby level. Doesn't make it not fun though.
I've taught 3d printing/modeling to students for years, even bought myself one of the fucking things so I could point at them and say "SEE? SEE YOU DUMBSHITS? I BOUGHT THE CHEAPEST FUCKING ONE ON THE MARKET, COMPLEATLY UNASEMBLED, AND IT WORKS FINE. GO SHOVE YOUR PRUSA UP YOUR ASS IF YOU CAN'T GET IT WORKING YOU STUPID FUCK HOLY SHIT"

As for "3D PRINTED PENIS SURGICALLY ATTACHED TO MANS FORHEAD, OFFICIALLY THE FIRST 3D PRINTED DICKHEAD, SCIENCE IS SO WONDERFUL" shit then no, there are better ways of making things

Only thing I need 3D printer for is metalworking,like in the size of small cogs and very thin.
Stuff like that but i dont have a slightest idea to read up on this stuff or what metals/alloys are supported.

It is not a meme, it is just many people don't understand how to use this new tool. Thus lots of stupid stuff is done with it, which has little relevance to if the tech itself is stupid. But such subtlety are commonly missed so I can understand why people ask this question.

The landing gear joints on the Air Bus A380 is made of printed titanium. All the down force of the largest commercial passage jet hitting the runway is transfered through these few joints during every landing. If they fail a significant portion of the landing gear would snap off. No problems have been reported with these parts in the years of operation so far.
You do it right and it is not a problem.

The artsy and creative side, maybe

But the ability to imagine a 3D object and make it in your own home is really useful. I use mine for many engineering projects, custom parts for my truck that are usually very overpriced, anything that comes to mind. Now that I have one the first question I ask myself to any problem is "can I 3D print it?"

>inb4 paid 3D printing company shill

>Technology finally eliminating work is a good thing.
Technology eliminating work is placing everybody back into industrial age levels of poverty and life style.

So bring back unions? They're a powerful force for the labor classes.

If we were to push for more trade and technician training before we push for full on bachelors, masters, and doctoral training for our workforce, then we'd be better off. 3D printing and CAD technologies are where the labor force is going to be trained in the manufacturing sectors. Line workers are already being transformed into glorified mechanics. Automation and rising shipping costs are what's causing a return to domestic production anyway, may as well focus on retooling a domestic workforce.

I'm still not entirely sold on ceramic and metallic printing methods, myself. Although they haven't failed yet, the key word is yet. I want to see if parts developed in 3D printing with powder bed development have the same/comparable longevity that AutoCAD and thermoform parts do. I'm not saying they won't/don't, and by no means have I got experience with testing them, but I'm just curious if they have the same material properties in the long run. Material processing is incredibly important to long term material properties, and I'm just not sure what differences in defects that 3D printing has on the materials' structure.

ITT: 3d Printing is a meme meme

Engineer here.
I print prototype connections etc. so I can see what they look like ahead of time.

They make good teaching aids too.

kys's nerds.

Why did you only read the first line in that post? It wasn't long. It had just one other line.

Unions never went anywhere. They're still around, except they're not doing jack shit anymore because they can't do jack shit anymore because they don't have anything to leverage.

This shit existed like 20 year ago. Then suddenly affordable FDM machines pop up and everyone thinks its the new shit. Others think its a toy and have no real use.

I can understand if you live under a rock, but please look it up before say stupid shit.

Oh wait... this is 4 chan.

Yeah it's a gigantic meme
>8 fucking hours at .1mm resolution to print a 1x1x8in cube
>support structures because of gravity
>20$ for 1 kilo of plastic wire fucking weed wacker costs 4x less than this shit
>5 hours into print, printer dies and now you just wasted a bunch of plastic
>stepper motor dies
>nozzle gets clogged
>50000 extra dollars of "professional" software with subscriptions
>gcode

#notall memes are dreams.

Lrn2meme fgt pls

I understood that reference
(Anthem by Ayn Rand, for cucks.)

What happens when we make 3d printers capable of doing that for specific parts, 3d print the parts and then have the 3d printer put them all together?

youtube.com/watch?v=SObzNdyRTBs

3d printing is great for prototyping.

Beyond that, it might be a meme, but I wouldn't know because prototyping is all I've ever used it for.

what they need to do is 3d print a material which can be chemically altered to become metal. Just print, soak in chemical bath, and it'll be super strong. You can do lost wax casting with PLA, but there are limits to what can be cast.

3D printing
Drones
Smartwatches

Are all memes

>Drones

You could 3D stuff by putting circuitry embedded in the 3D model. A duel extruder where one extruder is printing conductive material and a pick and place machine to put electronics inside as it's printing. One it's printed It would be impossible to take apart for any reason including reverse engineering so it'd be useful for classified technology like secret spy drones.

>CNC
>additive

>captain the wing fell off again, should we let atc know or anything?
>nah fuck it mate we'll just print off a new one it'll be aight

the "maker scene" is a meme and they use it a lot, but the technology itself is quite useful for a lot of things.

it's called an analogy, you cocksplat

>Printing dildos
>quite useful

So 3D printing is useful, But does it have the ability to be as game changing as most "Intellectuals claim it does? Does it have the potential to be "Assembly Line" big, Or just only certain situations?

>3d printed food

>Just so we're clear, 3D printing is a meme, right?

No, it's not a meme.

This video is a animation of how jet turbine compressor blades are 3d printed with a computer controlled electron beam sintering machine.

Just an FYI, the "powder" in that video is titanium nano-powder.

youtube.com/watch?v=M_qSnjKN7f8

Depends on what you consider the "game" to be about.

>does it have the ability to be as game changing as most "Intellectuals claim it does? Does it have the potential to be "Assembly Line" big, Or just only certain situations?

Yes.

Certainly for many applications, the current manufacturing process is going to be more efficient and cost effective.

What 3d printing allows us to do is quickly make new FORMS of material that standard manufacturing practices cannot.

For example, metal foams are basically impossible to create by current manufacturing methods, but 3d printing can do it easily.

It's not so much that 3d printing will "Replace" normal industrial manufacturing methods, it will merely make new forms of manufacturing POSSIBLE, leading to different applications, and advances.

he hasn't taken econ

No meme. No meme. You're the meme.

It is rapid prototyping with a new name. No idea why you would deem it a meme.

Blump