There are people on this board RIGHT NOW that think poetry is entirely subjective

>there are people on this board RIGHT NOW that think poetry is entirely subjective

No one on this board thinks that because no one on this board is stupid enough to fall for the subjective/objective meme

But sometimes it's a personal poem and all you can do is related it to yourself in some way. One of the beauties of poetry.

The Author has always been Dead.

>"i am going to post my poem in a critique thread"
>its a shitty poem
>get told its a shitty poem
>"no its a great poem because it means a lot to me and you just don't get it because you aren't me"

That's fine if you want to write a personal poem, I don't give a shit, but just because it's good to you doesn't mean it's going to be good to anyone else.

faggot

So you just acknowledged it's subjectivity?

No. I acknowledged that just because you think it's good doesn't mean it IS good.

He's not A disgrace. He simply has NO grace. Different thing.

But if you think it's good it is? Hell even if the majority of people in your hypothetical thread think it's good it's still subjective.

>he thinks there is something such as objectivity

>he thinks

>he

>there are people on this board RIGHT NOW who have not read Khalil Gibran

>there are people on this board RIGHT NOW who don't read for plot

The objective quality of a poem is often different from its personal appeal to the reader. A person who knows what they're talking about when it comes to poetry can admit a poem is technically sound without personally enjoying it as a whole.

HAS NO STYLE

Beauty is objective.

Some aesthetic details are subjective, but by and large for a beginner it's not even worth considering them.

It does not matter what plebs think.

/thread

what you wrote doesn't make any sense

which details are those?

are you not a nihilist?

>anything codified is objective
olololololololololololololollololollol no

Nuance; basic example... choosing what beat in a song to utilize the high hat (presupposing that it will be utilized within the measure)

If only...

>choosing what beat in a song to utilize the high hat (presupposing that it will be utilized within the measure)
>subjective
o am i laffin

I would buy an argument that states that you could make an objectively bad decision in that regard, but it seems to me that in two equally beautiful songs, there is subjective room to play for creativity in such details.

Again, there is no reason for a beginner in art criticism to spend time trying to identify or comment upon these things. It should be enough to recognize beauty and reject ugliness.

>talks about objective beauty
>doesn't even hide how dogshit his taste is
If there is objective beauty, then you obviously understand very little about it tbqh

HE HAS NO GRACE