Marcus Aurelius

Can we come to agreement over the timeless value of Meditations?

I believe it is likely the most important 'philosophy' writing that may well ever be, and that the society in which all are at a young age prescibed his teachings and beliefs would be the pinnacle of human development.

very beautiful sentiments in those books, but no, I think the focus on self-restraint in stoicism is not the most aesthetic way to live.

DUDE OPIUM

I didn't pay attention in Latin class

Which translation reigns supreme?

>Get fucked up every day
>Dude nothing matters lmao
>Be immortalized by resentful nu-males who can't bother to read real philosophy
Wow

>Dude nothing matters lmao
This is nihilism not stoicism.

I've only read snippets of others, but I like Robin Hard's effort. Older attempts can come across rather dense while some of the newer translators seem to try and condense things too much imo.

Stoicism is for fags.

>Stoicism
>Not Cynicism

Step up, senpai. Furthermore:

>Aurelius
>Not Cicero

This is how we spot the pseuds.

Cynicism is a very difficult philosophy to follow especially for a person born into the 21st century.

It's arguably easier to be homeless and without property than at any other time in history. Shelter all over the place, whole pizzas in garbage cans, etc.

cynicism is about rejection of outside influence and self reliance. There are aspects of cynicism in most modern philosophies, from Stirner to Neitzsche to feminism.

>advocating for cynicism
>from a computer in the comfort of a domicile

This is how we spot the poseurs.

>Aurelius
>Not Cicero

My nigga. The former has nothing on the latter. The 20th century was pretty much the first in which Cicero wasn't held as an inspiration by everyone of note.

Huh, I've been interested to Cicero for a while. Why do you call him better against Aurellius? In what aspect? and where should I start with Cicero?

Thanks in advance

I loved George Long's translation. I'm going to try Hays's for the re-read.

What is the best translation?

Aurelius is not systematic or original and is almost entirely made out of aphorisms.
He inherited everything from the older stoics and relies on them for all of the theory. The comparison is similar to that of Augustine and John of the Cross if you get what I mean.

Well Aurelius wasn't really much of an author. Cicero on the other hand was a career politician/lawyer and the best orator in Roman history. He stood up to Caesar himself and his heirs and was executed for not becoming a Caesarian shill. He was a hero to the Republic and a real human bean.

But I thought that was the point of meditations? He wrote it never for someone else, it was his journal. That's why it was a rather personal writings.It was for his personal reminder

I don't know, but I just got the Penguin Classics edition and like half the book is notes and explanations surrounding every paragraph, so it has a lot of extra reading if you want that.

Marcus Aurelius bravely resisted the temptation to retire to a massive villa while someone else ran the Roman Empire. What a sacrifice. A true Stoic.

>It's a /pol/ack talks about things he doesn't understand episode
Cute

>It's a everyone is a /pol/fag episode
Cute

At least learn your history mate, Cicero tried playing Octavian against Mark Antony was was assassinated because of that. He also was literally a Caesarean shill before Caesar was assassinated.

Why in the world would an emperor need to be a stoic? what kinda hardship necessitated that for him? great writing in many ways, something beyond stoics, making me think he wasn't really one. Stoicism is the software of the worker ant.

ur stupid lad

>literally my diary desu
lel

Eh, it was alright