Post your childhood books. Basically things that invoke nostalgia or were formative in getting you to read

post your childhood books. Basically things that invoke nostalgia or were formative in getting you to read.

This book tricked me into learning to read. I was 6 and hadn't quite gotten the hang of it. my mom read me a few chapters and then stopped providing the service and suddenly I could read.

I started rereading these recently, they're funny as hell. Weirdo tier Veeky Forums shit

Redwall series for me. I loved those books so much

Redwall is God tier, I credit it with getting me into serious literature.

I always loved the food descriptions. Always made me hungry

Treasure Island is what really got me into reading.

Holy shit, I think my friend used to read Deltora Quest. Time to remind him for some nostalgia moments.

It used to take literal months to get these checked out from the school library, but when you finally got them it all felt worth it. I remember reading through all the references and stuff, I was so into them.

Gordon Korman was my favourite author as a kid. I read a lot of his books. On the Run was a great series as well. I'm not sure if this stuff still holds up, but I plan on reading his first works soon.

The Swindle series seems like a soulless cash cow nowadays with the latest additions, but I haven't read them so they might be great for all I know, though I'm sure there's much better literature to spend my time reading. Maybe one day.

Some children's novel about two acorn-babies that were kidnapped by pinecone men. Whole thing was set in nature. Was pretty good, but scared me quite a bit. There were some illustrations too.

Only aussies will know

Anything by Eoin Colfer.

Loved this series when I began high school. Now it seems like degenerate trash, but I should probably read it again. It was an okay mystery, but I guess it was the writing that was good or something, because I plowed through the whole series.

When I think of it, I think of it as a shitty LQBT, cuckold-promoting tour of Sweden guided by a guy who fucks every woman he meets and eats a lot of sandwiches. I hardly remember what the other books were about anymore and now I want to revisit the series.

Great thread user. Thanks for posting it.

first book was the best, got shit by the third. too many characters and lack of ideas

man you learned to read too late. 6?? better quit rn and cut your losses

these were dope. i loved how magic worked in that series.

Wheel of Time tbqh. It's not the books that got me into reading per se, but it's the first dense works that I didn't get bored of immediately.

These and Lemony Snicket.

so good

Lizard Music
Where the Red Fern Grows
The Phantom Tollbooth

real faggot stuff.

my sister read at 5

Geronimo Stilton

would these still be worth if for an adult who never read those? thinking of picking them up tee bee aitch

I started reading the wheel of time when I was in 4th grade, got me hooked, changed the course of my life by inspiring me to want to write/edit.

yeah, i mean i read them when i was 17 and enjoyed them and i imagine if i read them now i would still enjoy them.

ursula k leguin is a great writer.

my nigger

fucking this, I think I read all of them up until around I got into 4th grade.

the first 3 are great. 4 and 5 got a bit carried away in political agenda

I still don't know how this was marketed as a children's book.

>First RL Stine book I read
>7 years old
>Main character is named like me
>Main character on the cover looks just like me (Andres = Andrew)
>I went on to read the entire RL Stine Fear Street and Goosebumps collections
>Now I'm 29 and I still want to be a horror novelist
Needless to say it has impacted me somehow

The tales of The Grimm brothers, Harry Potter, and the Diaries of Adrian Mole. I also liked jokes books, and spice girls books.

(Pic related.)

Also Narnia, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Harry Potter, and LOTR. Wondering if I should reread Narnia soon.

>(Pic related.)

Those were really great

>stopped providing the service
yeah my mom stopped giving me that gud succ too

Quite surprised that I am the first to post this.

Does anybody remember Maniac Magee?

The Goosebumps series are full nostalgia, although I reread a few for the memories back when I was 20

Also the Wicked! series (pic related) blew my 11 year old little penis

>Louis Sachar

Holes right? Good times

my man

The worldbuilding in these books was fucking fantastic

On my own I read fantasy stuff like Fablehaven and Eric Rex. In class we mostly read books about the outdoors and indians since I'm from AZ.

I read a lot of stuff as a child. More than now

The beginning is simply goat. Too bad the rest doesn't live up.

>the boy isn't a tranny
dropped

Pepe in Poopoo Land by Dong Buttman.
Really made me the little girl I am today

Sorry meant to respond to op

I read the one about the scarecrow named Harold and refused to ever touch that book again.

agreed lol. but christ it was still dope to read as a little kid, even if some of the deeper stuff was out of reach. animal companions? armored polar bears? really sparked my imagination when i was young

yup, read that one a couple times as a kid. still want to run on the rails of the railroad like him. he was a hell of a role model.

i read the phantom tollbooth over 15 times when i was a kid. i vividly remember finishing it then just flipping back to the front page and starting again

i relate, user.
i read so many forgotten realms books by the time i was in middle school.

Gonna be honest I barely remember the content. I remember sad moments though

my demon

Redwall was already posted, but Salamandastron was a particularly good entry.

Me on the right.

My mom was really strict about education, she taught me how to read and basic math operations when I was 3-4.
She used to force me to read for 30 minutes of anything before going out to play with my neighboors.

I'm glad she was like that because she formed the habit of reading within me.
When I turned 6 she gave me a Jules Verne's book colletion for my birthday and I remember specially liking this one and Michel Strogoff. I also got Galileo Galilei's biography as present when I was 9 and I remember liking his bio a lot.

Who the fuck reads Galileo's biography at age 9?

>Who the fuck reads Galileo's biography at age 9?
Don't you get that by asking that question yourself it makes you unlikeable?

It's pretty clear that his parents successfully tried their hardest to make him a socially deficient pseudo intellectual

God damn blackberry cordial.

The way the storylines converge at the end blew my goddamn mind as a child

Rats of Nimh remains my favorite childhood book. I loved the story and characters.

These were ones for me. Read up through the 20s for magic treehouse and the first few of Jacques. My brother ended up collecting pretty much all the Mossflower books.

Pic related was still in middle school, but it holds a special place in my heart.

Goosebumps, old choose your own adventure books, the hobbit, and this

Stephen Gammell's art really tied those books together.

This older cover for Sabriel is legitimately great, pretty much what made me pick it up.

The Hobbit. I haven't read it since I was about 12. The smell of most books still makes me think of Bilbos hobbit hole, and I'm afraid if I reread it it will ruin that nostalgia for me.

oh, and Willo Davis Roberts

View from the Cherry Tree (child witnesses murder)
Don't Hurt Laurie (abusive step mom, scene where laurie hits the toilet and feels her tooth come out)
The Girl with the Silver Eyes (telekinesis)

also, The Great Brain (mormon kids)

Also, when I was 12 I read The Happy Hooker. I learned everything about being a proud whore.

the 2 Judy Blume male and female adolescent books, Then Again Maybe I Won't and Are You There God? It's Me Margaret

Earlier, was into Beverly Cleary Ramona Quimby series (Age 8, The Pest ...)

My first venture into adult reading was Joyce Carol Oates' them and Margaret Atwood's Cat's Eye. They were my mom's books and I wanted to try to understand her more (I didn't—probably even less so). I enjoyed the reading for my own benefit, though. I became a JCO addict. Margaret Atwood was a little too plain and weird, but I also started her Robber Bride and overall I felt she had interesting story ideas, but not enough character evolutions (devolutions, too)

I also read crap, like Choose Your Own Adventure.

:(

There's a book where a teenager finds a small owl in the bottom of a trash can. Anybody else know of this?

I devoured lots of Alan Garner for my fiction kick, and all the Horrible Histories for my nonfiction. Still got them all and still read them to my class.

The first book I remember that turned me onto the simple joy of reading (as in the act of reading) was reading "The Sun Also Rises" at age 11 in my grandfathers leather Chesterfield under my stairs on a rainy day and going cover to cover before falling comfortably asleep, safe in the knowledge that even then I knew Hemmingway was a hack.

This reminds me I loved fact books. Statistics, weird but interesting pieces of knowledge.

Also read a lot of film criticism, mostly Ebert, some Kael.

The absolute GOAT.
It's a shame that it never got big outside of Scandinavia.

fucking same man. loved artemis fowl

this one is strange, sometimes I nostalgia read because I don't like growing up, but this fucking book is one of three (the only international release, I think) that I just couldn't stand on second read but loved on first. when I reread it I was only about 2 years older too, couldn't get past the 3rd book either, I just outgrew that series significantly faster than they were released. horrendous book.

kek

Dune
Ender's Game
Night Watch
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Hobbit

All of his books coming out around this time were so good

Those covers are so boring compared to how I remember the editions I had.

Damn I was obsessed with Deltora as a kid.

Merlin also.

You can judge this book by the cover.