Post your degrees niggas

>PhD in mathematics
>Any job I want
>300K starting

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/abs/1610.07690
arxiv.org/abs/1612.03242
recruiting.bmwgroup.de/ibs/Servlets/ibs/controller/sm
wallstreetprep.com/learn-financial-modeling/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/BestCollegeMajorsforCareer.xlsx
studentsreview.com/salary_by_major.php3
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is it you contribute to a company

I'm thinking of doing a maths PhD but it will be in geometry so there wont statistics or programming involved.

Could this still lead to a high paying job?

M-math s-skillz

>300K starting

>M.Sc. in physics
>no job I want
>714€ Hartz4

>M.Sc. in animal physiology
>surviving by running a small consulting business

>mfw the local math factory closed down

Aerospace poopineering

>PhD in mathematics Any job I want 300K starting

you're full of shit. You do not have that degree, Probably you're a little shithead in some calc 3 undergrad class daydreaming about what you think is going to happen. good luck actually getting a job when you graduate.

Me: civil engineer: 62k+10Kbonus+full benefits

>PhD in maths
>any job you get
>hopefully 50k starting
>probably not in research

fuck hans, this is why I switched from physics to CS (lul) at TUM (oh)
physics can be fun, but research is saturated and you have to be lucky to get a 6year contract,very lucky for a permanent position

>Being an Argentinian footballer in the UK
>X mount of millions starting.
>Any football slut I want.

>PhD in maths
>any job you get
>hopefully 50k starting
>probably not in research

I mean, maybe for a BS in Math with no branching out or job experience, but a PhD is pretty impressive and often specialized, it'll likely get you a high paying job, especially since many modern PhDs in Math pretty much demand that you know how to program as well.

>msc in math
>most of the jobs i want
>72k starting

>I switched from physics to CS

have fun competing with millions of Pajeets

M-mad s-skillz

nah, already working at BMW, but going to attend a maths major in the meantime, maybe switching to Bonn if I find a 20h job there.
CS in Germany != codemonkey, thank god, but still not my dream - but then, research is just complete and utter bullshit in Germany, practically 6 years and then you have to go into the private sector.

You too.

The difference between CS and Physics is that the smart Pajeets go to physics and the dumb as rocks pajeets go to CS.

I will be competing against a retard who will accept less pay than me.

You will be competing against an intellectually superior being who also will accept less pay than you.

>not being an Argentine corrupt politician
>not fucking any CONICET bitch you want for grants
one day

What kind of programming work is available in BMW?
Last time I checked, most of them are in Ulm.

>Bachelor's in CS
>105k salary
>50k signing
>250k stock

When is the software engineering bubble going to pop?

Forgot to mention cost of living is nothing compared to SF/NYC

I have to imagine it'll pop pretty soon. The top 10% of people in terms of skill will be fine, but looking at CS programs around me and a lot of the people going into programming, it's just a matter of time before businesses realize they're needlessly paying a team of programmers who don't know what they're doing, for work that's often done at better places by a single person.

Seriously, when you have hordes of CS grads who are aiming to be project managers and rarely touch code, you have a serious issue.

Also, how the hell are you getting 105k unless you're living somewhere expensive? All the jobs around me pay 60-70k median starting, 80-90k down the line.

>Philosophy
>Over 100,000 Dekadrachm in ancient Greece

It's a Google satellite office in California.

>inb4 California is crazy expensive

Did some research and I should manage to have about 40k spending money after taxes, COL, and full 401k match. Feels pretty comfy.

Their starting pay for new grads is pretty inflexible (100-110k) across different locations, so you get lucky in lower COL areas but kind of screwed in higher ones.

Codemonkeys are deprecated: use differentiable computing.

arxiv.org/abs/1610.07690

CS undergrads will face job shortages in 5 years and be completely obsolete in 10. Computer programs can efficiently write and maintain other computer programs now.

good thing there will always be hackers for my job

While that's a very intriguing prediction. I think the obsoleteness of CS undergrads will arrive much much later than that, if ever. Moving ML algorithms like that from a demo that demonstrates feasibility to a mostly error-free, efficient, production-ready package can take much longer.

I should be future-proof having Google on my resume and with ML research under my belt, no? Or will everything worth working on be taken by ML PhDs? I've been considering trying to transition to a Google Brain position from a SWE position.

>I should be future-proof having Google on my resume and with ML research under my belt, no?

Not the guy you were replying to, but I think your best bet is to just keep doing more research into ML and computational intelligence in general, pick up new skills and contribute to projects if you can. I don't know how much really holds for the other guy's theory of eventual obsolescence of CS degrees, but I definitely expect a lot of job shortages in regular programming gigs.

Computational intelligence, though, will likely always have work available unless we somehow reach a society where robots do all our labor for us.

It's definitely interesting to study. I'm anxious to see the next leap in the field (the last being the transition from procedural programs to artificial neural networks). Or perhaps we'll just see further refinement on this idea.

Results from recent papers are so exciting.

arxiv.org/abs/1612.03242

Stuff like this blows my mind.

>the last being the transition from procedural programs to artificial neural networks
That's what the paper I linked shows. It defines a fully differentiable, turing-complete AST that can be optimized with backpropagation.

>B.S. with majors in biology and geology
>grad student in geo program, work retail to help pay bills
>poor as fuck

there are quite a lot of positions available for programers, esepcially a lot of database work, which will be never ending since BMW hasn't commited to a system if any database at all
yes, one of the fucking biggest and richest comapnies in Germany is a complete IT clusterfuck where paper prints are 5mio/year and nobody has a clue where data from tests really came from...
well if you are an engineer they like some data mining stuff and cloud stuff
controlling and process management I personally find fucking interesting (not my area right now)
but I think there is a huge bias towards TU and LMU alumni... incestious company
would recommend for pretty high salary and somewhat good benefits like support and consulting for stuff like insurances
but the dark side is: you could fire 60% of the people and invest in a bit of optimization and the company would run better than ever, and it is a never circle jerk in there

Thank you.

Doesn't sound interesting.
Someone from BMW presented similar stuff at my uni.
About the HPC infrastructure and simulation data management.

I think that's part of the reason why American companies like Google and Intel are still the popular choices for CS students here.

As far as I can tell, SAP also does a lot of database stuff. Although, a friend is doing some machine learning over there. Siemens also does a lot of machine learning and medical stuff.

yes, the companies in germany certainly are not a "dream jop" for CS people since you cannot really be creative/your tasks are very restricted and there is not much room for creativity sadly
the typical German approach - never touch a running system as long as the government pays this system
well I told you about DBs since this is my field of interest; just look into the BMW recruiting page, there are actually a lot of positions, certainly a lot of pure programming positions in munich, too
don't wanna talk THAT badly about BMW, but most people hype it immensly without mentioning all the negative stuff, too
you certainly are getting overpaid and have a nice work-life-balance

recruiting.bmwgroup.de/ibs/Servlets/ibs/controller/sm

>When is the software engineering bubble going to pop?

Nowhere soon considering the demand keeps growing faster than the offer and the sector has been seriously understaffed for years

>GED
>any retail job I want
>7.50 starting

>Theoretical physics with extra math
>For some reason have to do a course on ethical science

Can someone explain how to do unethical theoretical physics? Do I substitute murder victims for my bodies in motion?

what part of 300K starting don't you get?

Why would you ever chose a field with no industry applications if you are interested in a high paying job?
Are you sure you're smart enough for a phd in maths because you make no sense

I didn't mean to belittle your job or BMW.
Thank you for your replies.

I personally find difficulties finding entry-level programming jobs in Germany.
Either they require fluent German or for senior developers only.

What do you consult about, and to what kind of customers?

Che boludo, I know a couple of CONICET bitches... so fuckable, so so fuckable. Too bad they're kirchnerists, I still can't grasp how someone can be intelligent enough as to get a PhD yet stupid enough when it comes to politics, believing ideology lies, etc.

>it will be in geometry

>drawing triangles for a living

I consult and teach mainly about health and nutrition (people are most interested in these), occasionally about anatomy and physiology. My targets are health stores, pharmacies, gyms and nurses. I also hold some speeches for customers.

Damn, I think you don't know, what a PhD is "Geometry" is all about, like the range, magnitude and depth.
But hey, I learned that Geometry was drawing triangles in school, cannot be much more in university, rite? hehehehhohohlolollululul

>all about, like the range, magnitude and depth
sure thing, buddy :^)

I am a Civil Engineering student at Uni. How can I get companies to look at me, as I go to a large university with a lot of CEs?

they probably are required to hold those views to get grants n shit. That's how politics works in this shithole, m8

You have to get a reputation as a sociable person who always takes the initiative and accomplishes things. Get good at small talk, attend events and fairs organized by potential employers, make connections. Build up a professional resume. You can also send open applications to companies that aren't currently hiring.

Most students (and other people) are sheep. You have to appear powerful and interesting.

nice fantasy

>BA, molecular biology and chemistry
>Third-year in biophysics PhD program
>$28k/yr stiped

Did undergrad at small liberal arts school (didn't offer BS). Took off a few years before grad school, job-hopped around some tech positions in academia and industry.

BS Biology
Any entry level lab job I want 45k starting

Which one did you pick, McDonalds or Burger King?

Boston Analytical

>BS psychology
>gets job as Quantitative Analyst / UX
>50k starting
not bad

Only thing is they think I'm going for a masters

>im not

>50k
meant 40k

still not bad

Funny thing is a Biology degree is so broad that he stands a better chance of getting a job that utilizes his degree than most other STEM degrees

This is true but there is a big disclaimer

They have the highest chance of getting a job in where he uses his science

They have the lowest chance of getting a job at all

t. "mathematician" working as junior programmer

>They have the lowest chance of getting a job at all
If you live outside of the STEM zones sure

I don't know what you mean by STEM zones but all the bio jobs for people with only a BS are in low tier medicine labs. That industry is saturated as FUCK and wages low.

Meanwhile for all the auxiliary science jobs in tech and stats and data science, bio fags are the least qualified as they take the most elementary statistics and I am sure that no numerical analysis.

Maybe that's because biofags aren't in the job market for low tier dead end programming jobs. You need to think out of your math box user.

Yeah, and that is why they have the lowest wages in STEM
Source: payscale

If you care about money this much you should have played the stock market and not wasted time and money for a degree just to work a job that someone with an associates could do.

I never said that I cared about money but when you said "bio people have the highest chance of getting a STEM job" is a bit deceptive because it paints bio as a succesful degree when in reality those STEM jobs are the worst STEM jobs.

That is just the reality.

Bio is a successful degree though. Unemployment rates are low and actually being able to get a job in your field is relevant to career advancement and getting assistance from employers for graduate studies. Then again, that must just be terrible when you can just work odd jobs and make more than them if both of you just hold bachelors degrees.

wallstreetprep.com/learn-financial-modeling/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/BestCollegeMajorsforCareer.xlsx

They are low... compared to liberal arts. They have higher unemployment than the good STEM degrees and also the lowest wages.

They only beat psychology, naturally.

studentsreview.com/salary_by_major.php3
Long term employment results show that Biology is very successful. Low at first but after years of experience in the field and going back for further degrees it's a very good career path.

That's pretty good. I wonder why it happens.

>masters in English
>a life full of happiness and intellectual calisthenics

Because a bachelors is garbage in comparison of earning power to other STEM jobs but in lab jobs once you get experience in the lab and a masters or higher you have lab management jobs available.To get that job though you need to start with a bachelors in the Biological/Chemical sciences though.

>tfw doing a PhD regardless of memes
I intend to milk this shit as much as I can since they offer small tutoring sessions or classes for shekels.

why don't you do something useful with what you already know, and try to get paid for that?

wouldn't that be the contrary, i.e., so broad, that you need to specialize and keep studying for years to get hired?

>muh CONICET is bad meme
triste que un pais que tiene premios nobel en ciencias este pasando por lo que esta pasando...
la derecha argentina tiene historia de destruccion del progreso

>la derecha argentina tiene historia de destruccion del progreso
pic related

Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology
Any job I want basically 200k starting

just seeing that thumb in catalog made my day; thanks OP

>I don't know what you mean by STEM zones but all the bio jobs for people with only a BS are in low tier medicine labs. That industry is saturated as FUCK and wages low.

I don't disagree with this at face value, but I think that there's more to it.

For bio majors just out of undergrad, this is pretty much the case. The available jobs in research are largely confined to lab tech positions in academia, and maybe a few QC/QA jobs in small to mid-size biotechs.

But, after a few years as a lab tech, the opportunities seem to widen. RA positions in industry R&D, business development in big pharma and biotech, consulting, etc., as well as (assumed) better odds for grad school, or professional school (medicine, law, business). school.

I would agree with this. Also, there are a number of jobs in biotech and big pharma sectors besides in R&D that pay quite well (management, business development, consulting, finance, etc.).

Yes and no. The biology undergrad degree is very broad. IMO, the most important factor in getting a job is undergrad research experience. There are a number of different sub-discipline "tracks" that most degree programs have. You specialize in your upper-level electives and join a lab in a particular area (say, genetics or biochemistry or whatever) in undergrad, and this makes you more qualified for research jobs.

Build work experience for your resume and maintain at the very least a 3.0gpa. Getting an internship, preferably in the field you want to pursue post grad, is possibly the smartest decision you'll make during your undergrad. Employers want candidates with proven work ethic and the ability to contribute to their firm with minimal required training; professional references and experience are the only way to show that. A good GPA doesn't hurt.

Not sure about the powerful/interesting part, but when I'm interviewing new eng highers, I look for an attitude that displays a sense of reliability and a willingness to learn. Too wishy washy and I don't think you'll be a reliable employee, too confident and I'll think you're full of shit.

>300K starting

He's talking about how much debt he has right now guys.

B-bosses k-kid's ho-homework

Wow nice commas! If you're a native English-speaker, consider suicide.

>High school starting salary only $40k

What univ?
The geo grads I am applying to usually have enough funding to cover basic expenses.

I have an assistantship, but it just about covers my tuition and does nothing for my living expenses.

Midwestern State Uni. it's a small and not particularly distinguished school, but it's got a good geo program because of the lods of emone from the oil industry.

how much money can an EE make if they have a ton of hobby experience with IC design software and C/C++/Python/Perl/Lua programming? i wanna make mad bank while doing fun shit .

>how much money
all about the money with you americans