Dear Veeky Forums-- do you have any books to do with Judaism to recommend...

Dear Veeky Forums-- do you have any books to do with Judaism to recommend? This request is to be interpreted pretty broadly; I'm interested in informing myself on any and all angles of Judaism as a topic.

Bikerton, Klauser History of the Arab Israeli conflict

The Jews by Hilaire Belloc

Ulysses

Nice try, but

If you want to convert to Judaism get the recommendations from your Rabbi, with that out of the way:

Jewish Study Bible
The Origins of Biblical Monotheism

The (Wiley-)Blackwell Companions to:
- The Hebrew Bible
- Judaism
- Ancient Israel

The Chosen Few - How Education Shaped Jewish History, 70-1492
The Invention of the Jewish People
You Gentiles
The Diary of a Young Girl
If This Is a Man/The Truce
I And Thou
The Star of Redemption
The Dignity of Difference

Like Arendts work, I am extremely interested in judaism as a political theology, a framework of thought that can be used and applied to social formation. Here are some recommendations in that direction:

Theses on the Philosophy of History, Theological-Political Fragment and Critique of Violence by Walter Benjamin.

Moses and Monotheism / Society and its Discontents by Sigmund Freud

Anything by W. G. Sebald, really. Austerlitz and The Emigrants are best. He writes about the intense melancholy of, especially, european-jewish postwar experience.

En Mald d'Archive, by Jacques Derrida

The works of Franz Kafka

Homo Sacer, by Giorgio Agamben

Shoah, by Claude Lanzmann (movie)

On the off chance you know German, there's the 2016 critical edition of Mein Kampf with upwards of 2300 notes with contextual information and plenty citations of 20th century sources and Hitler's contemporaries
Other than that, Di Cesare's book on Heidegger and the Jews is an interesting read, even if not entirely convincing

I'm reading now a collection of poems by Yehuda Amichai called "Poems of Jerusalem." I'm not super far into it and it's definitely not the best poetry I've ever read but it has some very nice moments.

Werner Sombart - Capitalism and the Jews (srs)

For a one volume general history of Judaism focusing on important periods, try "Creating Judaism" by Michael Satlow.

If you have more specific interests I may be able to recommend other books.

Eichmann in Jerusalem is a solid read but it apparently condenses (plagiarizes, according to many) information and research from Hilberg's "The Destruction of the European Jews." It's much more journalistic and much less philosophical than people who haven't read it imagine.

Have you read anything by Buber or Abraham Joshua Heschel? Not OP.

>I and Thou

How challenging was this? It's short but Buber get's really deep really quickly. I see a lot of people refer to I-thou as opposed to I-you, and I guess this terminology starts with Buber.

The Holocaust Industry tbqh. Not even meming, the book was fascinating. I'd always respected Elie Wiesel but he's supported some shady characters.

Philip Roth for stuff about generally being Jewish American.

Dude, that's not something anybody should include in a list of general reading about Judaism.

And I'm a huge Finkelstein fanboy btw.

Why? It's a book by a Jew about Jews describing the single most significant Jewish event in history and their responses to it. Is contemporary Jewish history not important to Judaism?

>most significant Jewish event in history

Moses at Sinai?

i forgot to put contemporary there so you got me friendo

Look, I'm just trying to draw attention to the fact that Judaism encompasses a vast field of historical events, intellectual ideas, philosophies of religion, religious texts and ritual practice.

It's much larger than the Holocaust or the minority status of Jews in contemporary whatever, or the status of reparations paid by the Germans, or the state of Israel.

In fact, the whole study of Judaism becomes horribly complicated and controversial as soon as one includes the modern period (not unlike discussion about Islam), and if we're talking about Judaism at its most general level, we should be thinking about theology, Talmud and Torah, or Maimonedes, Moses and mitzvot.

You feel me? I'm only annoyed because people have a tendency to want to discuss vast topics like Judaism in (relatively) minute political contexts.

The same thing happens when people approach the study of Islam with American foreign policy as the motivating factor.

Alright but here me out, the saracens must be destroyed

>ctrl+f, "Protocols of the Elders of Zion"
>0 results
I'm proud of you Veeky Forums.

>ctrl+f, "Protocols of the Elders of Zion"
>1 result
wtf i expected better of you Veeky Forums

matvei golovinski, henry ford, and adolf hitler are some authors you might want to check out.

Kevin MacDonald's books, especially Culture of Critique.

As Ine Jude myself, I recommend just reading the Talmud and Tanakh, and any Rabbinical commentary you find. It usually has a lot.

The Turner Diaries
Imperium
The Culture of Critique

What about the Stalag Edition?

This.

Mein kampf

I'll go out on a limb and say that the German edition is better.
It's meticulously researched by the Institute of Contemporary History in Munich, so meticulous as to devote an entire paragraph to justify their font which was to have no connection with any previous printing of Mein Kampf, and some nigger from /pol/ might at this point claim a German bias, but he can see for himself that the documentation is thorough, that the critical edition presents a balanced view of Hitler both as a symptom of the times and as an individual, and that the editors are not afraid of giving Hitler credit where it is due
It's not like Mein Kampf wasn't criticised by Hitler's contemporaries and party members either, just that this often happened in private letters that would only later become available to the public, and these (e.g. Goebbels) are then quoted in the new German edition which takes up two volumes of A3-ish size pages (pic related, how it looks among some not so recent purchases).

Sorry I meant as a english translation for people who don't know German. I'd assume you are right though in regards to one in German though.
>some nigger from /pol/ might at this point claim a German bias
That hurt. Pls no bully.

Didn't mean to say though at the end.