This book is fucking boring

This book is fucking boring

is there something im not getting?

Absolutely everything. Try it again in a decade.

Don't worry friend, there's plenty of sci-fi and fantasy books out there that will be less boring for you. I recommend /r/books as a place to meet those with similar taste

OP is right, dubliners is garbage. No amount of elitism can change that. Choose a good book next time OP.

Have you tried Reddit?

It's a comfy book, get into a comfy mood and read

No. Elitists will tell you yes, but no, the only redeeming thing about it is the wonderful prose. The rest is shit.
Joyce recognized that and made prose and literary references his thing, and he did it well. Read Ulysses if you're into that.

this is basically right.
Nobody reads Joyce for his silly banal stories.

>the wonderful prose.

How to spot a pseud

This. The ">reading for plot" memers are pseuds who want to affect an air of refinement without actually knowing what they're on about and muh prose is the easiest way of doing that because you don't have to explain shit or can make something up if you do.

Ulysses and Finnegans Wake are far and away the greatest works of genius of the 20th century, but yeah Dubliners is amateurish and bad. Joyce didn't have his shit figured out yet.

Portrait is OK, but not great.

Have you stopped to consider that some people actually enjoyed Dubliners and Portrait?
Not everyone is an elitist / a memester
I loved Dubliners, it made me go through intense contemplative emotions. I'm not forcing anyone to actually like the damn book but saying people like it for the sake of appearing intelligent is preposterous. A book's reputation can only go so far if it's not actually enjoyed by its readers. You're overestimating meme magic.

tl;dr Fuck you I liked it

Clearly you didn't read Ulysses of FW because Dubliners is laughably bad compared to them.

Are you TRYING to sound as pleb as possible? Go listen to Muse, kid.

Why would I even try? Can't compete with a natural like you.

Just because Ulysses and Finnegans Wake are better doesn't make Dubliners bad. Your reasoning by relativity is garbage.
>Go listen to Muse, kid.
I'm probably older than you are and you failed at guessing my musical preferences. As a matter of fact, I despise Muse, but not because I feel I'm above it, just because it's shit and everybody knows it, you're not special for dismissing such a shit band, love

>being this butthurt about babby's first stream of consciousness

lol seek psychological evaluation dude.

This - youre basically too young/not well read enough for Joyce

Nice projection.

Veeky Forums is now 90% trolling

This

Lol, this wasn't even meSo, this

AAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Every FUCKING day with these STUPID fucking MEMES! I've had it up to HERE with stupid fucking memes! You guys make me want to KILL MYSELF! Is that what you fucking want? For me to fucking KILL MYSELF and write on my suicide note "Cause of suicide: Couldn't handle all of the stupid fucking memes, killed myself"? Because that's what it might as well fucking say!

You guys are literally, L I T E R A L L Y incapable of having even the SIMPLEST of fucking discussion without "MEME THIS, MEME THAT, PROBABLY PINECONE BE CHILLIN, HERE'S A PIC OF INFINITE JEST BY DAVID FOSTER WALLACE, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA EBIN AMIRITE?" Fucking STOP IT you pathetic fucking FAGGOTS, you are such fucking cancer that I cannot even fathom how you fucking scumbags live your dumb gay lives. Don't you have a job to get to, schoolwork to finish or a family to attend to? Do you literally do ANYTHING productive with your lives other than post stupid fucking memes on the literature section of a god damn anime imageboard? You fucking people make me sick and you're damn lucky I don't have any of your fucking addresses you fucking pieces of shits. I'd spit in your faces.

I'm sorry user-kun.

Is this fresh pasta?

I thought it was boring and meh too. the one about the Bazar was alright. the dead was good too.

>prose does not exist as a concept
Okay buddy.

>Just because Ulysses and Finnegans Wake are better doesn't make Dubliners bad.
Agreed. I didn't really care for Portrait though. It seemed like a self-conscious midpoint between his realism in Dubliners and his more experimental style in Ulysses and Finnegans Wake to an awkward degree.

That's fair enough. The one about the girl who wanted to flee abroad and start an adventurous new life (but didn't) got to me, yeah.
It's all quite depressing, his stories. But I prefer reading about other things than the banality of unexceptional individuals.
Still, to each their own.

It's not that it doesn't. It's that 99% of the fags who go on about it have no idea how to qualify their vague "muh prose" sentiments in any way that isn't embarrassingly last second middle school book report-like. So the obvious conclusion is that they're all vapid twats who talk about prose because it makes them think they sound erudite.

Well I'm not one of those 99%. The way Joyce describes things is a pleasure to read. But the content of his narrative in Dubliners isn't to my taste, too banal.

I won't begrudge you your opinion, but I don't agree that the stories are banal. A Little Cloud, for example, for being so quotidian (guy goes to meet with friend, ponders station in life, comes home to family, the end), is very affecting. Most of the stories are like this-- ostensibly simply but to me they elicit some very emotional reactions. I felt a rock in my gut reading Chandler realize his own inadequacy. Simple and realist, yes, but emotionally impactful in a very economical way.

"Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.”

kys

A Little Cloud hit so close to home I had to put the book down and I gazed at the sea for a good half an hour trying not to sink into melancholy

Fuck me, I want to read it again now

you don't need to like everything